back to article Save journalism, online newspaper publishers beg EC

Newspaper publishers have asked the European Commission to look into "improvements" in the copyright protection afforded to newspaper content. Their submission claims that a refusal by the Commission to help could endanger journalism. Publishers' groups the European Publishers' Council (EPC) and the World Association of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. mmiied
    Thumb Down

it is my cake

I want to both have it and eat it!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do unto others

Newspaper publishers could practice this on others before demanding special consideration for themselves. The increasing squeeze they place on contributors on copyright and syndication is an abuse of power that will ultimately damage the industry's quality of output when the only people left to offer new words and pictures are bloggers and cameraphone owners willing to hand over content and rights in exchange for a warm glow and the price of a mars bar.

My sympathy is virtually non-existent.

3. Number6

Photographs

I assume this would also include protection for people who find that their images on the web have been discovered in the mainstream media, often with someone else claiming copyright?

4. Graham Marsden
    Boffin

a small piece of code...

... which would instruct these services to ignore the pages.

You mean like robots.txt...?

And if they still want "the attention search engines bring", why not have an un-robots.txt blocked section that has the headlines and nothing else, so people have to click on the headline and visit their site to get the article...?

Not exactly rocket science.

5. Ian Halstead
    Badgers

Dear media moguls – it's 2009 now.

Like trying to herd badgers using sloths.

6. andy gibson

boo hoo

Maybe someone should tell this to Johnston Press and Guardian Media owned local newspapers, where they've shed of most of the staff and got the remaining talentless lackeys to copy and paste "news" and "interviews" from regional and city internet forums, and stealing pictures from people's web sites.

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

This could be an own goal.

If the BBC News service becomes the only free site, people will just go there for all their news...

8. K. Adams
    Megaphone

Blogging is the New Journalism

Blogging and Podcasting (collectively known as "PAJ" - Personal Area Journalism) are slowly but surely rendering the big production houses obsolete.

The entire News/Op-Ed industry is migrating to a freelance-type, report-as-you go content model.

The Blogger is the new "reporter," in the sense that he/she writes about what is happening around (or to) him/her.

The Aggregator is the new "Editor-In-Chief," in the sense that its search engine relevancy rankings are largely responsible for determine whose content is consumed by the Internet-at-Large.

Granted, a lot of the content out in the Blogosphere is completely vapid and useless, but some of it is extremely topical and/or very well researched.

And we are finding that in many cases in today's world, Bloggers "on the inside" can go to and/or report from places that the mainstream media houses can't (or aren't willing to) access. The current unrest in Iran is a good example of this: Even the U.S. State Department requested that Twitter postpone a systems maintenance cycle so election protest-related "Tweets" wouldn't get lost or bounced while the service was off-line...

9. Andrew Taylor 1
    Flame

WTF

What journalism, most papers (not newspapers) now consist of fiction and stories lifted from the web, Modern reporters now couldn't investigate a story if you wrote all the evidence and sources in 10 foot high letters on a wall in front of them. My local rag ran a totally inaccurate story about the costs to date of a planned incinerator, the Editor was most upset when I rang, contradicting every thing reported and questioning the abilities of the reporters. He asked my where I had sourced my evidence and was totally gobsmacked when I said back issues of your paper but he still failed to print a retraction.

Bring back real journalists and not media hounds and I'll start buying papers again.

10. Rex Alfie Lee
    Joke

Integrity for Journos

Most of these human-wannabes are initially highly motivated by justice & have some integrity during their formative years. The problem with the job is that the need for better stories is the total loss of any integrity they ever had. Give up the job & find another. No-one cares about journos except other journos. You have little to no credibility.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like