back to article Storm Worm descends on Blogger.com

Miscreants behind the Storm Worm have begun attacking Blogger, littering hundreds of pages with titillating messages designed to trick visitors into clicking on poisonous links. By now, anyone who doesn't live under a rock is familiar with the spam messages bearing subjects such as "Dude what if your wife finds this" and " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alan Donaly

extra email footer

Bloggers machine may need to be compromised it seems that it could

be I doubt a bot would keep putting the same links over

and over on the same site unless it did so every time the

blogger logged in for every entry similar to the way free

email accounts add advertisements to the foot of the senders

message and he never views it in his browser a nice neat spammerly

way to include a link to the storm binaries.Email is the devil never

trust it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

supercilious

"What it really shows to me is how pernicious these guys are and they're indefatigable in trying to get into every place,"

I feel bad for anyone Alex Eckelberry feels is smarter than him, as they will be forced into a game of Scrabble.

3. Matthew C.

Fun..

I work for MEHS (Microsoft Exchange Hosted Services) and I can tell you this little nasty is causing a lot of problems in the business world. I know it's gotten past quite a few virus filters and is causing a LOT of problems. Hopefully this thing can be nipped in the bud before other variants start showing up on other sites and causing more havoc.

4. GottaBeKidding

Still Not A Worm

The malware formerly known as "The Storm Worm" is nothing of the sort. It is "Powered by Stupid People (tm)" and is therefore a trojan. Specifically, it requires an end user running Windows to click on an executable attachment.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Representatives from Google didn't respond to emails asking for comment."

They were probably too shit scared to open them......

TeeCee

6. Conway

@Alan

Alan, I've been meaning to ask, do you a blackberry, or some other handlheld device? It's nothing personal but all lower case, little punctuation and double line spacing is not that common around here.

7. Dam

Re: fun

Quote:

"I work for MEHS (Microsoft Exchange Hosted Services) and I can tell you this little nasty is causing a lot of problems in the business world. I know it's gotten past quite a few virus filters and is causing a LOT of problems. Hopefully this thing can be nipped in the bud before other variants start showing up on other sites and causing more havoc."

Reply:

Well I don't work for MS, and I use good products.

Spamassassin does the job very well.

So I'd say that here it's not causing problems, I'm fine.

PS: Does that troj even work on *nix and all?

8. g e

Had one of these earlier

So I sent this to abuse.ip@multimedia.pl

The IP address 89.228.44.117 in your network is being used as a

destination for a fake youtube infection vector. You must take

immediate action to disable this server to prevent your entire network

being blacklisted and blocked by us on behalf of our clients.

If they receive enough crap they might actually address the issue... ?

9. Ian McNee

Re: @Alan

His machine has clearly been infected with the dangerous new TeenTexter Worm (AKA Innit) that uses polymorphic illiteracy to hide from spelling and grammar checkers...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

God, I love shit like this

I really do. Job security, for one.

When do we think insurance and risk-management companies are going to start penalizing their clients for running windows? How about the point at which the signal-to-noise ratio of the internet finally becomes just noise, and all private/business communication is routed through other channels?

Honestly, people need a wake-up. There's an old, short fable I'm reminded of. If you place a frog in a pan of cool water, then slowly heat it, the frog will burn to death before it realizes what danger it's in. But, if you throw a frog in a pot of boiling water, he'll jump out before it can kill him.

Right now, so very many internet users are the frog in the pan, asking themselves, "Is it getting warm in here, or is it just me?"

It's not just you.

11. Katherine

A solution?

The trojan affects Windows, right? Simple solution: don't use Windows.

This topic is closed for new posts.