back to article Microsoft offers Windows 7 early and cheap to volume customers

Customers on Microsoft's volume licenses will get access to Windows 7 almost two months early and receive limited discounts to switch from Windows XP. Windows 7 will be made available to customers on volume licenses from September 1. The next iteration of Microsoft's client operating system will launch on October 22. Those on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tony Paulazzo
    Pirate

Win7 aka Vista SP2.5

<quote>as a campaign to get people hooked</quote>

Damn the pusher man!

2. Christian Berger

Will it be compatible?

If it's not 100% compatible with Windows it's not usable in organisations. Otherwise they could just use Linux and WINE.

3. Keith T
    Paris Hilton

Windows 7 is primarily of interest to those with Vista

The few organizations that made the mistake of installing Vista on their computers will be interested in the upgrade to Windows 7. Dissatisfaction with Vista gives them a genuine reason to upgrade.

Most large organizations running XP will convert gradually beginning in late 2010, as they order new computers with Windows 7 installed.

For the next 2 years, the only existing company-owned computers likely to be converted from XP to Windows 7 will be a small number of existing high-end workstations running software that can benefit from Windows 7. Even those computers are unlikely to be converted in the next 9 months.

4. Dave 8
    WTF?

As much as it pains me....

...I sort of like it.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Cow Poop

"Traditionally when we deliver the release it pushes the envelope on the existing hardware."

Not true, XP was actually FASTER on most hardware compared to 98SE/ME; and THAT is what I want, not even more bloat, with bells and whistles I will never use; but a lean, mean, FAST OS that I can add features to WHEN I WANT THEM.

(Sticking with XP).

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@Tony Paulazzo

Don't blame the player baby, blame the game!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What I want to know is ....

Will us saps that actually paid for a version of Vista get a free upgrade to Vista SP2.5 ?

It would only seem fair.

8. Michael Habel
    Go

Why don't they create a Famlly Pack?

Let's say something between a 3 to 5 License Pack for WIndows.

This would be more useful in that as the ~goto~ Family Guy BOFH, I could just use A One Disc Solution On all these "PCs" and not feel like a dirty pirate?

BTW: If Vista got anything right, and granted, it didn't got many things Wrong.

I really like the fact that I do have an ability to at least use the Mainland Continental European Languages. (Namely English and German).

With XP or earlier I would have had to use a different localized Disc.

So in this regard Vista was WIN!

But I really would like to see a Home Five License Pack!

9. Richard 12 Silver badge

They haven't really learned, have they

"Traditionally when we deliver the release it pushes the envelope on the existing hardware."

Therein lies the problem, MS.

I should never need 'cutting edge' hardware to run the operating system and WIMP environment!

Why should I need a machine at least three times faster than my current unit to run a word processor?

10. George 24

Who will be eligible

If M$ is as discriminatory in this offer as they are in the general public pre-order, then only the U$A, UK, Japan and Canada will have the possibility to buy with discount.

Vista is flawed, W7 should be a free upgrade.

11. Mike Arthur

hmmm

What about those of us (admittedly numpties) that actually bought Vista?

Are we going to get anything discounted, after all, we're the ones that have experienced the pain, not the sensible people still using XP :)

12. Dangerous Dave
    FAIL

free upgrade?

No chance! So if you bought a car that turned out to be a pile of crap, would you go back to the dealer two years later and ask for an upgrade or discount on the latest model, just because you owned the previous one?

13. Mark Eaton-Park

Why is M$ charging Vista customers for upgrade

Windows 7 is basically Vista without all the programming and design errors so why should existing vista users have to pay for an upgrade.

M$ should be made to give all vista users a free upgrade to windows 7 this being as vista never worked properly and M$ fixing the errors and saying it is a new OS is unacceptable.

I understand that fixing vista cost money however that was money they should have spent before releasing vista in the first place.

14. Peter Kay

@XP was faster - not true!

Only for specific values of faster, and only later on. People tend to forget history.

When XP was released it had much better memory management, and a better (NTFS) filesystem in certain circumstances (purely on the basis of reading one well ordered file at a time, FAT32 is pretty fast). In other situations FAT32 won (yes, available on XP, but not the default). Games were noticeably faster on Windows 98 for months after XP's release. Audio drivers, iirc, were better. etc etc.

In summary : XP - good for data processing type operations. W98 - good for shitty games, small numbers of undemanding applications and dodgy low level fuck the OS over hacks.

XP's drivers were improved, and it became the better OS for all classes of application. The same has happened with Vista - the drivers are now much better than they were.

Personally I don't have many regrets using Vista - it's been a fast and stable OS for me.

15. John P
    Go

@Ian Emery

I have been testing Windows 7 RC1 on the same machine as my main Windows XP installation, and it is actually faster at most tasks. From login screen to loaded desktop is alot faster and even mundane things like loading My Computer seem zippier with 7. There are also really nice features like window preview (which I didn't realise was available in Vista) which make the whole experience that much nicer.

I'm not an M$ fanboi by any means, Vista was a user experience to slit your wrist to, but I really like Windows 7 and will be getting me a copy when it is released and hope that by that time, there will be versions of AVG and Zonealarm that work with it.

I think that, for once, M$ may actually score a win with 7!

16. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

Business Motivation

I can see business persons being pressured into upgrading, and saving money, and getting productivity, and not using 8 year old operating systems, and blah blah blah...

Then going over to their IT guys and saying "upgrade us now", and then not caring when the IT guys say "actually this won't run on our cheap-ass business machines", and then blaming the IT guys when the experience is bad.

Discounts are evil.

17. Hans-Peter Lackner
    Thumb Up

Windows 7 is good...

I have the RC running on many devices, from a netbook to a high performance xeon workstation and I am pretty impressed. It is running smooth and fast especially compared to Vista. And on some pcs (eg my workstation) it isn't possible to install xp anymore...

18. Geoff Mackenzie

@Michael Habel

Weird astroturf? Wasn't the family pack reported on El Reg a little while back?

19. Michael Habel

@Geoff Mackenzie

Yeah I read that Article as well, but I don't think that Info came direct from Microsoft though.

But I still would wish that Microsoft would consider this option...

20. James Pickett
    Gates Horns

Changeover

I'd be getting pretty nervous about now if I was holding much stock of new Vista PC's. What's to be done with them?

21. Mark Eaton-Park
    WTF?

@ Dangerous Dave

If I bought a car and it failed to the extent that Vista does I would have already taken it back, also they do give you a discount its called "trade in".

I got Vista with this PC but until Windows 7 it was running a retail version of XP. Under Law all products have to be fit for purpose and Vista just wasnt fit for anything but the bin.

22. Kirk
    Happy

Hummm

When i got word of the requirements of Windows Vista i built a new system just for it. I had no problems with compatibility other then they screwed over my sound blaster lol.. I use both Vista and XP and i like Vista better. A software company doesn't have to tailor its OS to the current user base. I mean when a state of the art video game is released and you have to upgrade the video card to play it full on you don't hear people whining and crying. They either upgrade to the required specs or play it at a lesser setting. The same really applies to operating systems. Heck there are still windows 95 users around the world if not windows 3.2. Did Microsoft make a mistake from a general marketing perspective with Windows Vista. Yes for those with systems that couldn't enjoy all it had to offer sure. I'm from the DOS era and i remember with every new OS comes a i won't buy it 30 gazzilion resistance is futile nay sayers.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like