back to article Adobe wires ColdFusion into Microsoft Office and SharePoint

Fourteen years after ColdFusion first appeared, Adobe Systems has updated the platform to facilitate the development of applications that feed on Microsoft's Office and SharePoint productivity products. Today, Adobe is announcing public betas of the latest edition of its platform that will let ColdFusion applications extract, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

wtf Sharepoint?

No. Please No. Don't do it.

Why?

Sharepoint:- Microsoft's great lockin product.

2. BlackBolt
    Go

Adobe flogging a dead horse?

I've been developing in CF for years (as well as half a dozen other languages) and its interesting that Adobe are still pushing new functionality to this platform, despite a lot of UK based companies turning their backs on it. Sure its not the newest technology, but it is amazingly quick to develop with, give it a shot if you are new to the web side of IT.

3. Gary F

@BlackBolt - I beg to differ

How could you say that Adobe are "flogging a dead horse" when they have just invested heavily in the 9th release of the product which has been constantly selling for 14 years? Despite the fact that PHP and .NET are free, Adobe still manage to shift plenty of copies of ColdFusion for up to £1000 and £4000 a pop. (The developer edition is free I hasten to add and there are affordable shared hosting options). ColdFusion must be doing lots of things right to survive against no-cost competition.

Google says it's indexed 370 million ColdFusion pages. That excludes pages requiring a login or hosted on intranets or where the .cfm file extension has been removed. That's pretty frakking good for a "dead horse".

ColdFusion makes it nearly twice as fast to build web applications, or even faster if your app is focussed on stuff that CF supports out of the box such as PDF creation, reports, charts, etc.

Now there are 2 free (open source) ColdFusion compatible engines - Railo and Open BlueDragon. Both are fast in operation and easy to set up if you don't want to spend any money.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

ColdFusion is still alive?

Wow... wasn't expecting to hear that. I assumed they'd quietly buried it after the Macromedia takeover. Adobe really must have too much time on their hands.

An ex-CF developer

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like