back to article Coming soon: clothes that take photographs

One day your clothes could take photographs, according to MIT scientists who have made a fabric that can capture images of a smiley face. A team at MIT's Department of Materials Science and Engineering has developed an optical-fibre mesh that can detect an image projected onto it. “This is the first time that anyone has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Shoes

How long before someone makes shoes out of this stuff?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good for Camouflage

If you combine this with the cloth that can display images, you have some primo-grade camo there.

3. M7S
    Coat

Walking around in London

So the choise is get nicked for being clothed, or going about "indecently"?

Or do only "long lenses" get arrested by paranoid officers fighting terrorism?

Mine will have to be the see through mac then

4. Graham Marsden
    Coat

Plod will love this...

... Excuse me Sir, but was your jacket taking a photograph of this building which may be of use to terrorists...?

Mine's the 12MP coat...

5. Chris Paulson
    Black Helicopters

Could be the start of..

Cloaking device. Project image seen on opposite side.

6. Lottie
    Alien

Perfect!!

Make some PJs out of the stuff and we can PROVE that aliens abduct us at night........

7. Dick Emery
    Go

And...

...if a police officer suspects you of being a terrorist taking photos you will be required to take your clothes off!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Who is going to be the first to suggest...

... getting Paris H to wear it inside-out...

9. Psymon
    Grenade

very interesting

so it work on roughly the same principle as an insect eye, the fly being the typical example.

I remember a great many innacurate recreations of how the fly sees. That is, the typical camera trick of producing many hexagonal duplicates of the same image, when in actual fact each hexagonal element would have actually been an individual pixel of the same image.

I wouldn't be suprised if DARPA showed an interest in this. The potential for highly discrete cameras with built in redundancy is certainly appealing in a military and espionage content.

Of course, the electronics required to make sense of the image would be the hardest factor to disguise, both in physical dimensions, and transmissions.

Aww, where's my black helicopter? Spose the grenage will have to do

10. Rock Lobster
    Paris Hilton

PP

Paparazzi Paradise

11. Dennis
    Coat

What took so long?

Taking images with cloth was done centuries ago. Or is the Turin Shroud a modern fake?

So perhaps this should be: Scientists mimic God's camera.

Mine's the one with the religious relics made out of plastic in the pocket.

12. MyHeadIsSpinning
    Thumb Up

New Category

She Shot Herselve - hot, wet beaver closeups

13. Dennis
    Thumb Up

Re: Who is going to be the first to suggest...

Well, I was going to say: No more turning tha pants inside out to make them last an extra day. But at least we can have fun with bed sheets made out of this material.

14. SlackerUK
    Happy

@Anon Coward

Oh come on - we've all seen Paris without her kit on.

15. SmallYellowFuzzyDuck, how pweety!
    Big Brother

But what happens...

If they put the camera on underpants and I put the underpants on inside out.

Ewwwwwwwwww!

(Gonna need a big wide angle lense mind *Wink*)

16. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Boffin

A small problem

OK so you can make a patch of this material. But most fabrics are made of *continuous* fibres. So unless you make the fibre and *cut* each fibre to get its ends free to act as the sensor it will need to bend the fibre at each corner enough to allow light to enter.

It's the start of a neat idea.

17. Pablo

Be Careful

Not to to put it on inside out, because nobody wants to see /that/ picture.

18. Allan George Dyer
    Coat

Confused...

If a policeman using one of those backscatter x-ray imagers takes a picture of me through my camera clothes, will he arrest me as a potential terrorist because my clothes snapped him, or not, because he didn't see them in the image?

Mine's the one plugged into the video recorder...

This topic is closed for new posts.