back to article Intel seeks Android-on-Atom MID deal with Google?

Intel is wooing Google to port the Android operating system to Atom, according to noises coming out of Taiwan. The claim comes from Taiwanese makers of handheld internet tablets - what Intel calls Mobile Internet Devices (MIDs). Atom is Intel's smallest and lowest processor family, designed for MIDs. Intel has long been keen …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. dave lawless
    Boffin

Now Google's a playa

I noticed Chrome OS was for x86 and ARM. Time for the progeny of the BBC to own the world !!!!

Smash the Atom

2. David Hicks
    Stop

ARM?

Also, I thought Android had already been run on some x86 netbooks?

3. NutZ
    Grenade

Does anyone really NEED a MID/Netbook?

Running a full copy of Windows on a device that will likely never be used for much more than surfing the internet seems silly. I think Android or Chrome would be well suited to this task but not any more so than what Linux is already currently offering. In the end choice is good but unless people understand what those choices stand for they will not be capable of making them. While I have always been interested in the MID I think it missed its chance to catch on when smartphones got so good. Take your average netbook for example; it does nothing that a decent smartphone doesn’t already do and most of it the smart phone actually does better. The only people who buy netbooks are people who thought they were buying a real laptop because they couldn’t tell the difference except for size. They keep trying to find a home for these niche products and I think they are too late because the modern smart phone has pretty much already taken it. What we need here is Atom powered smartphones running full x86 code. Not another device already doing what a smart phone does just on a slightly larger screen. IMHO of course but that is the way I see it. I am not the least bit interested in a netbook or a MID because in the end I would just be doing the same things I already do on my smartphone.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like