back to article US teen trades hacked iPhone for Nissan 350Z

A New Jersey teenager has cut a deal to trade a hacked iPhone for a new set of wheels and three further iPhones, Yahoo! reports. Seventeen-year-old George Hotz, of Glen Rock, made the announcement on his blog, having successfully unlocked the Jesus phone. Duly released from the shackles of AT&T, the device was then swiftly …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dan

a car and three iphones?

the man's an idiot

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Uhmmm.

Whats the money that the 3 new phones will be hacked???

Also perhaps he should do a video called "Phone geek does At&T right in the Apples(TM)"

I'll get my coat.

3. Darren Coleman

Bet his friends are kicking themselves now

Didn't this guys friends criticise him for spending so much time unlocking it? Who has the last laugh now?

Whilst selling the phone for a car is pretty ludicrous in it of itself, getting the car AND 3 more iPhones is bonkers.

4. Edward Pearson

Its almost unbelievable....

<rant>

I've seen less addicted crackheads than some of these Mac fanboys...

Steve Jobs could take a shit, wrap it in clingfilm, stamp iCrap on it, put it in a shiny box and people would still go queue outside shops months in advance.

All the while they'd be producing thier own artists impression of the new product and posting it on their local iShat blog. Awaiting the applause and kudos from the other worldwide fanboys.

Jobs in the meantime is laughing at you. Thats right, he's having a really good chuckle at your expense. You morons.

</rant>

5. Chris Morrison

Fair Price

Look at a couple of months line rental to AT&T for the iPhone. A 350Z is probably cheap in comparison!

Chris

6. Simon McGarry

@Edward Pearson

Hahaha thanks for that, I totally agree and that'll keep me chuckling all day long. I'm proud to say I don't own any Apple products. Though I think the guy who unlocked the phone got a great deal. I can't see why though, unlocked iPhones seem to be popping up all over the place.

7. Darren Coleman

Mr Pearson

Edward Pearson is a god among men.

8. Glen Forde

Already done.

<quote>

Steve Jobs could take a shit, wrap it in clingfilm, stamp iCrap on it, put it in a shiny box and people would still go queue outside shops months in advance.

</quote>

Piero Manzoni has already done that, 1961.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

350z = juicy

He got a smokin' deal. The 350z is a fantastic car - my dad (bastard) got one a couple of (bastard) months ago. It's (bastard) gorgeous, fast (bastard), and even though he's 66 and (bastard) has crazy engineer hair, the first time be (bastard) stopped at a hotel, a (bastard) high school girl stopped him and (bastard) told him how gorgeous his (bastard) car was.

Insanely fun to drive. Hopefully the kid can go to a competition driving school so he doesn't get himself kilt.

10. Dave Bennett

350z = Nissan

David,

It's a Nissan, I wouldn't be too jealous.

David

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

C'mon, it's a Nissan

...'course, trading plastic crap for more plastic crap does maintain a sense of balance in the universe.

12. BatCat

Driving School

David Wiernicki - "Hopefully the kid can go to a competition driving school so he doesn't get himself kilt."

Best not go to David Coulthard's driving school then...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: 350z = juicy

"He got a smokin' deal. The 350z is a fantastic car - my dad (bastard) got one a couple of (bastard) months ago. It's (bastard) gorgeous, fast (bastard), and even though he's 66 and (bastard) has crazy engineer hair, the first time be (bastard) stopped at a hotel, a (bastard) high school girl stopped him and (bastard) told him how gorgeous his (bastard) car was."

So, no hard feelings then? :-)

Damn the man ... closest I'll ever get to a 350Z is playing Gran Turismo or similar. As for the iPhones? Meh .... I'd have just taken the car and called the deal a good 'un. The offer of a consultancy post is probably timely - I'd imagine the insurance costs for a car like that will be suitably crippling.

14. Calum Morrison

Be careful out there...

I recently saw a 350Z speeding through a local village; a little later I saw it garroted on a set of railings at a roundabout with a teenage boy standing next to it, on the phone, presumably to it's owner/his dad, looking incredibly pale and worried. Not sure if it was an iPhone, though it made me chuckle... Stupid boy!

Lovely car, apart from the bronze paint and the dents and scrapes.

Calum

15. Dennis SMith

IRS

Wait until he gets a bill from the IRS for capitol gains tax. Will probably be for 25-30% of the value of the car. That'll take the smile off his face.

16. Dan

Edward Pearson for Prime Minister!

iCrap? iShat?! Genius...

17. alistair millington

RE: 350z = juicy

You like your dad right? :)

iCrap & iShat, Nice. Couldn't have put it better myself.

18. Tom Peach

RE: 350z = Nissan

Agreed, distinctly unexciting car

19. Matt Thornton

Not so crazy, if you ask me

Nissan 350Z: £25k

3 8gb iPhones: £1200

Having your name, company and link plastered across ALL of the major news and tech websites and blogs: Priceless

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE: 350z = Nissan

"It's a Nissan, I wouldn't be too jealous."

= = = = = = = = = = = = =

Worse still, it has a Renault engine.

Why didn't he get a BMW? I thought that was what all Apple fanboys aspire to?

21. Vulpes Vulpes

Don't diss a Niss

I've got a 300ZX - 3 litres AND two turbos.

Better looking than the 350.

And I didn't have to buy an i-bloody-Phone first.

Nah na na na nah. Tee Hee.

22. Alan Donaly

I had never heard

of Certicell before, now I have which means so have

probably a million or so others I doubt those phones

and that car are worth anywhere near the money

that this kind of exposure is worth to a small company,

and it's pres so it's a great deal it just required the right

bait. All of this is probably incredibly embarrasing to ATT

and Apple but being who they are they might not notice.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

3 more iPhones...

While I agree the 350z is not so terribly attractive to me, I believe the young man asked for the iPhones for the other 3 conspirators, err, friends that helped with the hack. Quite a noble gesture, until you think about the fact that he got a car.

Depending on how the deal was structured, trade/barter vs sale, he may not have any tax issues, mind you the IRS probably have him on their radar regardless.

iShat, ha! Ha ha! Nice.

--Pete

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Crazy UK car prices

Matt - "Nissan 350Z: £25k"

Here in the US you can pick them up new for about £13k (I don't quite understand the price difference in the UK)

All in, the adverstising will cost them less than £14K - well worth the money.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Updates and patches

Wont this 'discovery' just be overwritten in the next update for the iphone?

26. Jason Harvey

3 more iphones

to go to the 3 people that helped him crack the thing... or so it was said on the Fox News version.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,294901,00.html

"The 17-year-old Hotz said he will be sending the three new iPhones to the three online collaborators who helped him divorce Apple Inc's popular product from AT&T's network."

27. bertie bassett

Crazy UK car prices - reply

that's good old plane 'crazy rip-off britain' - same stuff as you have in the states only our stuff is 2x the cost.

hmm mebbe it's the cost of changing it from left to right hand drive, and adapting it to go round corners - as we all know US cars don't do corners..

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@bertie bassett

"mebbe it's the cost of changing it from left to right hand drive"

Mebbe(sic) they make left AND right hand drive versions (they are Japanese after all so RHD, well...) so they don't have to change anything.

350Z.. awesome cars. About AU$60K here in Oz.

29. Matthew Hale

Ask a mechanical engineer...

...which is more reliable, a Nissan or a BMW. It's not the BMW, I assure you.

Same goes for most of those `cheap plastic` Jap cars these days ;)

30. Paul

Re: Crazy UK car prices - reply

"hmm mebbe it's the cost of changing it from left to right hand drive, and adapting it to go round corners - as we all know US cars don't do corners.."

Hate to be pedantic, but is a Jap car, and they drive on the proper side of the road in Japan.

Also, Love it or hate it if youv'e ever driven one you'd know it is a very good car (But not to everyones taste). If you havent been in one and your just anti Nissans then get a life.

And... dosent £14K = aprox $25K? Hum... Its not just computors that work on that system then.

31. Jack

iShat...

re: iShat & iCrap

Genius. I shall forthwith be referring to the iPod as an "iPood".

32. Rob Stiles

I'll keep my 350Z, thanks

I have a 350Z and a Mercedes, and I've owned many other types of cars, including other sportscars. I have to say that Japanese cars are King when it comes to build quality and the 350Z is the finest piece of engineering I've ever had the privilege to drive. I'd take a Japanese car over a German one any day. I love it and I can't believe someone would swap one for a silly little phone.

33. Paul Stregevsky

Heads should roll at AT&T...

...for committing the company into signing a 5-year "exclusive" deal that hackers are already opening up to one and all. This situation reminds me of the computer security firm that, in the early 2000s, sold the recording industry an "unbreakable" protection scheme for music CDs. Within a week of its deployment, a teen posted on his blog that he was able to bypass the copy protection by holding down the Shift key during bootup. Word spread quickly, and the security firm became the laughing stock of the news world. Rather than admit their stupid mistake, the security company--its value and name now in ruins--sued the boy.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like