back to article Data protection fee to cost bigger orgs £500 a year

Organisations with a turnover of £25.9 million or more and 250 or more staff will be required to pay the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) an annual notification fee of £500 with effect from 1st October. The current fee is just £35. Notification is a requirement for 'data controllers' under the Data Protection Act. Every …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pete 2 Silver badge

This is what I love about govt. fees

They can arbitrarily change them whenever they please. They don't have to account to anyone, nor defend their actions - just UP the charges (and UP yours if you don't like it). There's no concept of competition: you can't go to a privately run ICO - or any other QUANGO for that matter, nor of value for money - you never find out what your individual contribution buys you. You don't have the option of opting out as these things are mandatory / legally enforced and companies have no input into the democratic process to say whether or not they want the "service" the gummint says they must take..

The same thing happens to real people too. Whether it's being mugged for a BBC license fee, screwed over for council tax (that goes up every year, by more than inflation) or any of the other fees, licenses, charges or taxes that we get railroaded into paying - no matter who you vote for, or which party is in power.

2. John Macintyre

probably read it wrong

but surely that's no different to the old highway robbery? you want to use this public road? Pay me some dough! You want to have a company with data? Pay me money to approve!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Oh great

Not only are employment agencies counted as large companies when it comes to having to file everything online, but not getting the kick back for filling online, we now have to pay 14x the amount for Data protection notification even if we only turn over a few hudred thousand...

4. Graham Marsden
    Boffin

Great. but now...

... how about actually giving the ICO some teeth instead of them only being able to wag a finger and say "naughty people, you should make customers' data secure"?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like