back to article Register.com in seven day mail Fail

Register.com says it completed an upgrade to its email system more than a week ago. But for some of its small-business customers, the upgrade is better described as a downgrade. On June 29, after spending several months migrating users to a new email system, the well-known domain name registrar and net services outfit …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Martin 6 Silver badge

'upgrade'

The new improved service takes 30seconds to load, doesn't work with Opera, doesn't use the arrow keys to scroll down a message and includes ads on the paid for service = obviously one of those new uses of the word 'improved' I wasn't previously aware of1

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
    Dead Vulture

I've nothing useful to say

But I just wanted an opportunity to (mis)use this icon...

I remember the unhappy days when my company email relied on BT, so I have much sympathy with these people.

3. Flybert
    Paris Hilton

what do you expect from an overpriced ...

service who's only claim to *fame* is their domain name and long time on the WWW ?

there are still suckers paying $35 per year for domains from these people ?

it's the internet dammit .. there's this thing called a search engine .. the most popular is www.google.com .. *might* want to try searching for "domain registration" or "web hosting" or maybe even "email services"

there *might* be a couple of companies NOT stuck in 1995 like Register.com and Network Solutions that give better service, better options for less $$ .. check it out !

4. multipharious

SnaaS and Cloud SNAFU

The purported inexpensive savior of the small business that allows the agile little guys to compete looks more and more to me like it is passing buzz phase and moved on to the trough of disillusionment. The expense and control of in house solutions is worth another look to would be customers. I have been reading a number of good articles here lately (eg. Google App Engine FAIL) The vendors could not have had better timing for the Reg Event.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

register.com are just crooks

I remember having to deal with the fall-out of a client or mine who had a .co.uk domain registered with them. I wanted to move it away, register.com wouldn't let me, so I was about to cave in and renew ($90 for 2 years!!!) before transferring away. They wouldn't even let me renew the domain before its expiry date. In the end we got NominetUK to change the tag for a small fee.

Anyone who deals with them deserves what they get.

6. Gerhard Mack
    FAIL

That's Register.com for you

I lost a web hosting business back in 2001 because they couldn't change the ip of my name servers despite repeated calls. After everything went dead and all of my customers left I transferred to directnic.com whose website had a simple interface to change the name server ips. Saved money too.

Register.com has always been overpriced and under delivering and I'm shocked they are still in business.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Register.com are...........

load of con artists. Try moving a domain name from them to any other Registrar, they will deliberately make it as awkward as possible , making you telephone number even if you live in Foreign Country ,and they then take 1.2 hour reply to phone calls. NEVER EVER use Register.com they are crap.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

At least you've reported on this outage

Well at least The Register is actually reporting this, unlike the time recently when Register.com was under a DoS attack thus causing all our websites, and many others, to be down for hours on end. Thankfully the Inquirer reported on that one.

9. Tim 84
    FAIL

Register.com FAIL

I just migrated one customer away from register.com because of this exact problem. I have one or two more that will be migrating away as well.

10. ZimboKraut
    Black Helicopters

Not too many seem to have problems

I know, I a mgoing to get hammered, but to me it seems, that not too many people are hard hit!

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to justify their actions, but when I look at the number of complaints, they don't seem, to be that many!!!!

I am using them myself, and can honestly say, that I so so far have not had any big issues!

only one, a few years ago, when I couldn't login for about two hours.

They are by no means the cheapest, but they don't seem to strike as ones, where I need to worry about them still being around in two months time....

ZimboKraut

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like