back to article Camera catches Samsung's OLED iPhone wannabe

Can't see the video? Download Flash Player from Adobe Click to see a low-bandwidth version at YouTube Samsung Jet

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. GettinSadda
    Megaphone

Comic Sans!

Comic Bloody Sans!!!!!

'nuff said

2. the midtoad
    Thumb Down

No OS

So long as you're happy to use only those functions that Samsung provides, this phone could be a good choice for you. The screen looks stellar. But note that if you want to add additional apps, you're out of luck, because there are no other providers of apps for that proprietary operating system than Samsung itself. You'll be totally at the mercy of Samsung to fix bugs, as well. http://www.reghardware.co.uk/Design/graphics/icons/comment/thumb_down_32.png

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

comic sans?!

bleeeeeeh, how could they. It looked nice until they showed this horrible on-screen-keyboard!

4. Jon Lamb

Nice?

I really like the phone? I dont really like the question? at the end of each pause? That could get annoying? Real quick?

5. Stephen Stagg

Competition

Has a WVGA screen which is 4 times sharper than the ..... QVGA.

Hmm.. I wonder what screen resolution the Iphone has? :)

6. Neur0mancer
    Joke

Meh

PR Rule No. #78: Never get Antipodeans to demo anything other than lager and bbqs. And sheep dip if they are from NZ.

7. Juan Inamillion
    FAIL

Hmmm

@Nice? - She's from the Antipodes, they all speak with a rising inflection.

@Comic Sans!- Really. Epic fail for Samsung

8. Max 4

meh...

I live in the middle east and here the Jet is already available. Played with it. It's no comparison with the iPhone, convoluted and pointless interface, limited number of widgets. So what if the processor has 800MHz, it doesn't feel any snappier than the iPhone or HTC's latest. But the screen is very nice indeed.

9. Robert 3
    Thumb Down

I hate to say this

but they should really just stop trying. Not everyone needs to make an iPhone competetor. They should stick to what they're good at.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

iPhone wannabee?

As the iPhone and Pre are quickly locking up the market for people who have a passion for mobile computing devices, it falls to companies such as Samsung, LG and Nokia to lure the public into wanting a smarthpone. However, seeing that video I am struck about the mental agility required to operate it. My father (not yet 60, uses a pc daily) still has trouble deciding when to use a singel or double click. How is he, and the untold millions of other normal users ever going to grasp these kind of interfaces that try to do too much. I'll say one thing for the iPhone: they have made it so simple even my parents and other technoboobs can figure it out.

11. Ian Yates
    Thumb Down

UI

Anyone else think the cube interface looks really unusable? (Or, at least, time-wasting)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Stupid Cube

That 3D cube interface is the most gimmicky phone GUI I've seen in a long time. You can only see one option at a time! Most of your interaction with it would be furiously flicking at it again and again trying to remember which side the goddamn camera was on.

13. Bad Beaver
    Grenade

Awesome

I cannot wait for this phone? Happily I will spin the funky 3D cube? Till I find what I was looking for? And then I will type out messages in Comic Sans, as it is so happy? Happy happy?

14. Geoff Campbell Silver badge

@midtoad

I'm waiting for the i7500 - same screen, Android OS. Should be a belter.

15. James Pickett

OLED life

OLEDs are lovely until they wear out. I daresay they're better now than a few years ago, but I have 3-year old Tatung MP3 player with one and it has become very dim. Still, I suppose that would be quite old for a phone...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice screen, shame about the 3D interface.

Nice screen, shame about the 3D interface.

17. mittfh
    FAIL

Films?

Forgive me if this sounds stupid, but WTF would anyone want to download and view films on a tiny 3" screen? YouTube I could understand - but those videos tend to be relatively low quality (ideal for a mobile device) and only last 10 minutes tops, whereas a film really demands a decent size screen, decent audio equipment, and a decent amount of time. Neither of which you're going to get on a mobile phone. Which should primarily be designed for (shock!) making phone calls to people, and (even bigger shock!) text messages.

Also, with the increasing use of touch screens, how long will it take before the screen is covered in a thick layer of finger grease?

Can't see it converting lovers of either the iPhone or Android...

18. Alex 77
    Megaphone

AppStore

Samsung need to open up an app store if they are serious about an iPhone rival. I have just got an Omnia HD and it is great and could be a real alternative to the iPhone - Orange should never be allowed to butcher the firmware of phones and load it full of bloatware, secondly Samsung really need to look at supporting the Handsets they release. Apps and widgets need to be released by the bucket load.

19. Big-nosed Pengie

@ Juan Inamillion

"She's from the Antipodes, they all speak with a rising inflection."

No we bloody well don't - it pisses us of too. It's a sure sign of an idiot.

Nice phone though.

20. Lloyd
    Thumb Down

But

It's a samsung right? so basically runs of an OS 10 years out of date, has no useful functionality and will be bought by people on pay as you go.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@Stephen Stagg

The iphone has HVGA which is 320 x 480

This is WVGA which is 800 x 480

22. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Samsung

I work for VF we had samsung in demoing the jet. I gotta be honest it's garbage. Another toy samsung phone. The screen however is excellent and is the future for mobile screens.

23. My New Handle
    Terminator

What about the bloody screen?

Okay, so far we've quipped about the Antipodean upward inflection, the crappy proprietary OS and Comic Sans keytops (although I'd wager these could be changed ...). But doesn't anyone give a monkeys about the use of OLED? That is one gorgeous screen, and OLED seems to vibrant in comparison to backlit LCD that is mainstream at the moment.

I look forward to the day when we can welcome our OLED overlords into every viewing aspect of our lives. That is, until something even better comes along ...

24. Tzvetan Mikov
    Thumb Down

Worst UI ever

A 3D cube for UI on a phone? Are they completely insane. This is ridiculous.

25. Stephen 27
    Happy

Kiwi?

Yes I'm a Kiwi? And I thought her voice was annoying? What grates with me is when you get this stuff over public address systems?

Air New Zealund advises passengers on flight NZ1 to board their plane?

Just as well it's a nice country to live in :-)

Oh yeah, was this something to do with a phone or someting?

26. IT_Frogman
    Thumb Down

Video Quality?

Antipodean lady - 'Look how bright the video looks on the Organic LED Screen?'

Me - 'Shame it's only running at seemingly 12 frames per second and very juddery. Here - look at my iPhone playing the same trailer at full frame rate and sharper image'...

:)

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Midtoad.

Er, so only Samsung can fix bugs on the phone? Hmm. Just like every other phone out there then.

Apps - only the ones Samsung provides. Just like (almost) every other phone out there then.

BTW, SS generally don't use a proprietary OS of their own - they use other peoples (e.g. Embedded Linux, Nucleus, Qualcomm etc) depending on the circumstances.,

28. Georgees
    Thumb Up

iPhone..

Needs an OLED screen.

29. Lee Craig
    FAIL

Can't see the video again

Youtube blocked on corporate proxy, so having two alternatives both on youtube not useful!

30. Jacqui Smith's DVD Collection!
    Thumb Up

You're all missing the point

OLED screens have low power consumption!

Woot!

31. bygjohn
    FAIL

Slow, isn't it?

Or is it just me? When she switches pages on her home screen it seemms to take 1-2 seconds to happen after swiping. Similarly huge delay when typing on that QWERTY (I'll skip over the hideous font choice...). On my iPhone swiping between pages on the home screen follows my finger, and typing delays are now quite rare.

Re: Films - actually I've watched entire movies on my iPhone. Only occasionally, as I agree big screens are better on the whole for that purpose, but with sound via earphones and watching from quite close in to the screen it's a surprisingly pleasant experience. Would be less so if playack was jerky with poor frame rate, though, which it isn't on the iPhone.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Lee Craig

what are you suggesting? using flickr or Vimeo?? I'll put money on thoee being blocked too.. why dont you quit and go work for a company that values its employees?

33. Scott Mckenzie

Hmmm..

...hope they licensed the blatant rip off image on the FM Radio.

Tivoli Audio may have a few issues with it!

34. Monty Burns
    FAIL

@ac 7:45 6th July

>By Anonymous Coward Posted Monday 6th July 2009 07:45 GMT

>Er, so only Samsung can fix bugs on the phone? Hmm. Just like every other phone out there >then.

Obviously never used a HTC or any other winmob device then. Drivers etc are frequently ripped from one device and applied to someone elses.

>Apps - only the ones Samsung provides. Just like (almost) every other phone out there then.

Apart from Iphone, Android, whatever Blackberrys OS is called, Symbian and Winmob .... a very large portion (if not all) of the smartphones out there. Hardly the oposite of "just like (almost) every other phne out there".

>BTW, SS generally don't use a proprietary OS of their own - they use other peoples (e.g. >Embedded Linux, Nucleus, Qualcomm etc) depending on the circumstances.,

You forgot Winmob.

35. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

@ Monty Burns

<quote>

Apart from Iphone, Android, whatever Blackberrys OS is called, Symbian and Winmob .... a very large portion (if not all) of the smartphones out there. Hardly the oposite of "just like (almost) every other phne out there".

</quote>

The Jet ISN'T a smartphone, and Samsung have never claimed that it is.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like