back to article Apple SD Cards fuel (more) Mac tablet chatter

A SanDisk investment commentator, blogging as Savolainen, reckons Apple is going to introduce a tablet or netbook-type Mac. Yes, you've heard this before. But this time, the evidence lies with the SD Card adoption by MacBook Pros. Notebook computers used to employ a PCMCIA (Personal Computer Memory Card International …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Brian 6
    Alert

No SDHC suport

There is no Apple support, though, for the SDHC and SDXC formats.........What the hell were they thinking about ????

2. Richard Tobin
    Thumb Down

Wrong! It supports SDHC

"There is no Apple support, though, for the SDHC and SDXC formats". You're probably right about SDXC (does anyone support it yet?) - but the new MacBook Pros do support SDHC (does anyone *not* support it?).

For confirmation see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3553

3. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Sigh...

Something minor happens at apple and every fanboi believe it to be a sign from His Steviness that a new products is going to made... The fact Apple will be using SD card is nothing big, most standard laptops today already have a 50-in-1 (or however high they go now) adapter built in. Maybe Apple is just trying to cater to the 'artists' who fall into the false thinking that the only choice for editing video or photoes on is an Apple product (You know the type, the people that buy DSLR camers just to take pictures of their cats or take black-and-white pictures and believe they are artistic and moody. see- Mac user)

Even if Apple where to release a tablet, it would probably somewhere in the low $5000 range for the low-end model, the battery wouldn't be replacable and would overheat. The closest thing they will ever get to a netbook is the air.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Correction

"There is no Apple support, though, for the SDHC and SDXC formats."

The Macbooks are incompatible with SDXC, but not SDHC. See here:

"Which SD card formats work in the SD card slot?

Cards that conform to the SD 1.x and 2.x standards should work. The SD card slot can use cards that are Standard SD (4 MB to 4 GB) and SDHC (4 GB to 32 GB). MMC can also be used in this slot. MiniSD, MicroSD, and higher density formats like MiniSDHC and MicroSDHC can also work with the use of "passive" adapters that conform to the width and thickness specifications listed above."

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3553

Nearly all digital cameras are SDHC compatible nowadays, so it'd be pretty dumb if the Macbooks were not.

5. ducasi
    FAIL

Wrong

"There is no Apple support, though, for the SDHC and SDXC formats."

Wrong. The SD card slot does support SDHC. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3553

Anyway, the SanDisk commentator is making a huge leap of logic to say that because Apple have put an SD slot in their MacBook Pro, they are about to build a tablet with an SD slot.

I'm not so convinced.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

SDHC supported and SDXC work after reformatting

SDHC cards are supported in the MacBook.

SDXC cards work in MacBooks after reformatting, as Mac OS X does not support XFAT.

Source: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3553

7. Ascylto
    Jobs Halo

@ Sigh...

"photoes" should be 'photos'

"where" should be 'were' and

"apple" should have a capital letter to distinguish it from the fruit.

Your accountancy seems to be as poor as your spelling.

I'll bet you would type in green in if that option were available, such is your degree of envy.

Get back under the bridge, troll.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

4gb non HC SD ?

Good luck finding one of those.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

SD slot compared to ExpressCard slot - what an irrelevant comparison

SDCard slot: mainly* to insert and read solid state memory/flash cards

ExpressCard: to insert just about ANY peripheral: memory cards PLUS eSATA adapters than enable attaching highspeed external 10K+ eSATA RAID harddrives that take advantage of the 2.5Gbit/s bus speed of ExpressCard, to make full true high definition HD 1080p video editing very feasible.

I like the idea of a multiple scenario notebook. I can benefit from using most of my applications while on the move. And then at home/office I can make it into a near-desktop solution by attaching higher performance hardware: such as eSATA drives aforementioned and an external HD display. I seek versatility in the equipment I spend money on.

Therefore, what a flawed article to draw a comparison between SD and ExpressCard: 2 very different purposes.

*Unless, the SD card slot data transfer rate is very high - it will need to be for the SDXC to be able to transfer the huge amount of data that that standard can hold quicky, which would create a whole new market for high performance SDIO based devices - so not just a slot for memory cards. You'll remember SD had been used as a peripheral slot with SDIO, e.g. for Wifi adapters.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PCMCIA?

Actually, I think you'll find that stands for: People Can't Memorise Contrived Industry Acronyms.

11. Maxter

Why one IS coming . . .

If all this is any indication, then yes, but if you've seen this possible concept look you will no doubt believe one is coming.

Check it out . . Awesome!

http://trisosceles.com/concepts/mactouch.htm

12. Nick Pettefar

Modern Journalism!

The Register about Apple:

There is no Apple support, though, for the SDHC and SDXC formats.

Apple about Apple:

Which SD card formats work in the SD card slot?

Cards that conform to the SD 1.x and 2.x standards should work. The SD card slot can use cards that are Standard SD (4 MB to 4 GB) and SDHC (4 GB to 32 GB). MMC can also be used in this slot. MiniSD, MicroSD, and higher density formats like MiniSDHC and MicroSDHC can also work with the use of "passive" adapters that conform to the width and thickness specifications listed above.

Hmmmm.....

13. Chris Mellor 1

Apple not leading the market

Dave Simpson sent me this note: "The point I am still trying to make is laptops have had SD card slots for a long time - my old HP (dead now but bought 4 years ago) had one."

"Apple is not leading the market here. They are behind. Every netbook on the market already has an SD card slot and most consumer and business laptops have SD card slots or multi-card readers so your comparison of express card slots to SD card slots sounds pretty amateurish at best, especially since most laptops have both. It is a bit like saying including DVD-RW will compete with SD card slots when the two are for different things."

"I realise you warned the readers about Savolainen, but I feel someone should have warned you. His information is complete nonsense and he simply pulled it out of his ass to drum up some investment in Sandisk which you have happily reproduced into an article. Not that I'm complaining - you can write and spell which is a big advantage on the internet these days. It would just be nice to read the usual mature informed opinions that I'm used to on The Register."

My thinking is that of SD card slots and ExpressCard slots are both used for flash and Apple adopts the SD card slot at the expense of an ExpressCard slot then that is interesting.

Chris.

14. Chris Mellor 1

PC Card futilities

Sent to me by DAve Simpson:-

"Express card slots going has nothing to do with SD cards staying, express card slot are going because the PCMCIA association stupidly didn't make express card slots backwards compatible with old PC (PCMCIA) cards, they have no connection with SD card slot whatsoever and have been dying a death for several years now, the real competitor that will hammer the final nail in their coffin is USB 3."

"The only Macbook to actually loose an express card slot is the 15", the 17" still has one and the 13" never had one so even Apple are not really dumping express card slots."

Chris.

This topic is closed for new posts.