back to article Grand Theft Auto IV coming to the iPhone?

The appearance of mysterious video has got the gaming world convinced that Grand Theft Auto IV is coming to... the iPhone. iPhone_GTA_02 The video hints that GTA IV's coming to the iPhone On a website called coming-on-iphone.com, you're shown a horizontally placed iPhone underneath the banner heading: "You have no idea …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. An ominous cow herd

Hmmmm

So you are saying that a game where you kill prostitutes and old ladies is okay, but titties is tottally wrong? Well, that's Apple to you...

2. adnim
    FAIL

roflmao

Anyone who has tried running GTA IV on anything less than a 2.4Ghz Quad core, 4Mb ram, HD4870/GTX 285 system will understand why I find this funny. Rockstar Toronto couldn't optimise this game for x86 architecture, It amuses me to think how this will run on the piddling little CPU/GPU inside an iPhone, even though there is only a piddling little screen to display it on.

3. Martin Lyne

Ha

Thos screenshots look decidedly homemade. Why do I get teh feeling eople are being roped in to publicising something they normally wouldn't?

4. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Anyone care?

Seriously?

5. Bernie 2
    Jobs Horns

Don't be silly...

the hardware needed to render GTA IV would drain a phone battery in seconds.

6. Jeremy 2
    Stop

It's not GTA4.

Quite aside from the fact that they could never ever scale down GTA4 to a level that would run on iPhone without murdering it...

About 3 seconds in, the building on the other side of the street after the men jump out of the SUV has "Los Angeles Bank" written on the side.

Besides, for Apple to approve a GTA game for sale, it would have to be toned down to the level of My Little Pony.

7. Ed

Don't think so...

Doesn't look like Rockstar's style to me... The font is a cheap knockoff of the GTA font too... The website's badly made too.

All in all, it's likely someone pretending to be Rockstar. That's not to say that GTA isn't coming to the iPhone - I'd guess they're porting the DS version right now.

8. Test Man
    WTF?

Except...

... why is the video in 4:3 and not in a format that fills the entire screen?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@Jeremy 2

"Grand Theft Pony" - sounds like a charge brought against a horse-thief. I'm getting all giddy imagining GTA on horseback - drive-by-shootings etc.

10. looselycoupled

fff

"So you are saying that a game where you kill prostitutes and old ladies is okay, but titties is tottally wrong? Well, that's Apple to you..."

Nope, that's America for you. Land of strange hypocrisy with vocal minority of religious zealots who love their guns and violent movies, but find the display of boobs and butts far too immoral for their delicate sensibilities...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@AC 00:58

lol @ "Grand Theft Pony"

But "GTA V: Wild West" sounds like a hit.

12. Jerome 0
    Jobs Halo

coming-on-iphone.com?

Describes the reaction of the fanbois perfectly, even if their messiah does deny them their daily dose of boobies.

13. Annihilator
    Go

iPhone gfx capability

Don't be too surprised if this ends up being playable and pretty. For a look at what the iPhone is capable of generating, try F.A.S.T. - I was blown away.

14. Cactus Fantastico
    FAIL

Blame Canada

I spy a GTA clone, a quick lookup on the interwho shows the server IP range being owned by Gameloft Canada. I doubt Rockstar would outsource their franchise...

15. steogede

@Adnim

>> Anyone who has tried running GTA IV on anything less than a 2.4Ghz Quad core, 4Mb ram, HD4870/GTX 285 system will understand why I find this funny.

I have tried playing GTA IV on a machine with a massively lower spec than that, an XBox 360; apart from the RAM of course - I cant remember the last time I saw a computer with only 512 KB RAM (i.e. 4 Megabits), even my A500 came (upgraded) with 1 MB. I don't see why the iPhone couldn't support a 'GTA' game, if the Nintendo DS can, except ofcourse they would need Apple approval (then again, doesn't app. store in OS3 have an age classification system). There are plenty of GTA clones out.

Ofcourse, the video is 100% fake. Even without watching it I can say that with absolute certainty.

16. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Possible but not with GTAIVs Game Engine

It's likely that UK based Rockstar Leeds would be developing this if it were true and basing it on the GTA3 LCS source base - they've already done two PSP titles and I can't imagine them having much problem getting to grips with the iPhone. Unfortunately, with China Town Wars and other titles in the mix, I can't see them taking on a new iPhone based GTA project, so it's probably just garbage.

This topic is closed for new posts.