back to article Nokia admits killing off Widsets

The first effective platform for mobile widgets, Widsets, was killed by Nokia back in April - but no one noticed as the company successfully obfuscated the murder behind Ovi. Nokia's all-encompassing brand Ovi has swallowed up several services including Download! and MOSH, but unlike the other services Widsets was a platform …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mage Silver badge
    Unhappy

Sad

It worked quite well

I was most baffled and spent nearly an hour searching on Ovi for Widsets to reinstall them.

I hoped it was a temporary Glitch.

I miss them.

Several other apps seem to have vanished or stopped working on My E65 of late. So I thought it was just me.

Spodronic.

Nokia seems to be losing the plot. Apple may have iTunes, but the point up to now of S60 was you could get SW nearly anywhere, Like a laptop / PC Windows/Linux.

I don't want a walled garden. Nokia should have stuck with doing things like Widsets and not trying to copy Apple's control Freak iTunes.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Widsets not replaced

Sadly if you own one of the lesser phones you can't download the OVI store application, not that it's any good as it doesn't include the Facebook or Twitter widgets that I used the most.

Poor effort by Nokia.

3. Ian Entwistle
    FAIL

I was sad to see it go....

I used it extensively and was peed off when it was killed. it had a number of really nice little 'apps' that just did what they said on the tin with no mess or fuss. Trying to find similar functionality in Ovi is a non starter.

RIP one of the most useful things I had on my e90.

4. The Original Ash
    FAIL

I used it every day

Facebook, weather updates, following Bruce Schneier's blog, notalwayright.com, latest symbian freeware...

I'm getting an Android handset next because of this.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

The right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing...

The weird thing is that Nokia was advertising widgets as a viable developer option like in this newsletter from 17 june 2009 ( http://www.forum.nokia.com/I_Want_To/Do_Something_Else/Interested_in_Development_but_Not_Sure_Where_To_Go/Sign_up_for_Email_Newsletters/Archive/June_17_2008.xhtml#1 ), even though the service was officially closed on 1 june 2009, according to the links pointed to in that section.

I think we are in need of both an evil Nokia and a holy Nokia icon.

6. marksi
    Unhappy

Ovi does not have the content Widsets did.

I liked Widsets. Was seriously pissed off that it had simply been deleted with no warning whatsoever.

I'll remember the contempt that Nokia has shown me.

7. Jay Jaffa
    Dead Vulture

Nokia - Novell Netware of the Mobile age

Let's face it Nokia is a sinking ship. It's simply a question of how quickly the thing hits the bottom. Remember when Novell Netware was on it's game. Where is it now?

Good riddance.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Nokia screwed up with Ovi

Simply because they outsourced even their own know-how to external companies. When Google and Microsoft have their own development and research in house in Nokia the "next pillar for revenues " - the Internet services rely on contracts with external service providers, bought be the incompetent business PM's. Let us see how long it would take to the top to realize this simple fact.

No I do not use Nokia maps - it is grappy compared to Google maps and Google latitude is for free.

No I do not use Nokia Sync via Ovi.com simply because it does not work - I tried it at least 5 times - it did not even send me sms with the settings as promised ... I set up Google Sync and my contacts for 3 minutes - I found all the simple instructions on google help sites ( for Ovi store I had to search and a lot .. ) and it just simply worked ... some 3 months ago ...

I really hope some big boss in Nokia will read this ... WAKE UP. Fire them all. If Google makes better Symbian apps with some 10 times lesser resources than your Cheap Indian Developers + 10 times the amount of business decision makers doing nothing FIRE THEM ALL

P.S.

I meant the lazy business decision makers not the working Indians !!!

9. Bod
    Thumb Down

Widset not = Ovi Store

Was hoping that the Ovi Store app would be the result of the Widset evolution, as promised.

Widsets being a simple Java app, would mean Ovi Store would have a nice Java app on all S60 (and probably S40) phones.

But instead we get a (native?) Ovi Store app that only works on WRT phones (3.whatever Feature Pack this and that, etc. i.e. *not* my phone which is 3.0, and of course you can't upgrade OS versions with Nokia. Generally). Widsets, as reported just disappears.

Or if Ovi Store is Widsets evolved and still a Java app, then why doesn't it work on all S60/S40 ?

Ovi Store on my N80 instead is an experience of going to the poor web page and struggling with the very slow browser scrolling of the earlier 3.x S60 phones.

Not that it matters when the apps in the store are so poor (and not to mention more expensive in some cases than you can get them direct from the original developer).

10. Wortel
    Grenade

And so Nokia

kills yet another feature. What's new here? oh yeah, the 'newer' functions cost money now, like Maps. useful one year, dead the next.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like