back to article SuperSpeed USB to be 'successful', enthuses analyst

Four years from now, one in four gadgets with USB ports will support USB 3.0 - aka SuperSpeed USB. That's the shock (not) conclusion of market watcher In-Stat in a report forecasting that a faster version of the hugely popular peripheral interconnect bus will also be very popular, a prediction that will cost you $3995 from In- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Vitani

Quick question

I remember seeing a USB 3.0 connector months, perhaps years ago, and it looked very different to the current USB plugs. Is this still the case, or have they reverted back to the old USB1/2 style?

2. Greg J Preece

Hehe

I love the dripping sarcasm. You have to wonder who hires these idiots to state the obvious for cash.

3. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Plugs & predictions

No it's different. The actual USB wires are there for compatibility, basically, and different wires are used to actually carry data. They "should" be cross-compatible though.. that is, a USB3 peripheral can plug into USB2 (unless they shave a few pennies off, or the peripheral's too bandwidth-intensive, like the few USB2-only devices currently). And a USB3 socket should take USB2 (and USB1) peripherals.

I'm with Greg on this one, I figure it's simply inevitable that (USB version+1) will take over for (USB version). I'm actually surprised the figure's only 25% in 4 years, I expect more stuff will be USB3, whether it needs the extra speed or not.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

creeping like a weed

Still trying to turn usb into a real network I see.

5. Chris - LG

4 years away??

That's too long :(

6. Paul Shirley

@Henry Wertz

You're right that lots of low end stuff will claim USB3 but the odds are it will be a repeat of the USB1->2 change, where USB1 devices magically became lo or hi speed USB2 overnight, no upgrade involved - just renamed.

Ain't backwards compatibility great, it allows so much lying about specs ;)

7. Bad Beaver
    Grenade

Meh

Why, oh why didn't I become an analyst...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Was there something else I was going to be using?

didn't think so...

9. Eric Hood

Throughput

Throughput will be the issue, will it be piss poor like USB 2 or will it improve to be more like firewire.

10. Stuart Duel

Firewire is better

Give me Firewire any day over USB - it's faster, more reliable and more versatile. FireWire S1600/S3200, which should appear first, will absolutely crush USB 3.0.

11. Christian Berger

@Paul Shirley

Actually USB2 is completely incompatible to USB1. In fact you even have a completely different controller for both systems. If they had actually thought about the standard in the first place and consulted an electrical engeneer, they would have been able to come up with a working system in the first place.

12. Scott A. Brown

I want a new External HD

But should I go for eSata now or wait for USB 3?

13. Eric Hood

External Drive

@ Scott A. Brown

The new controllers are not due to ship until the end of the year. If you need a new drive now then buy it now. If you can wait 6+ months then do that.

14. T Norris
    Badgers

Reinventing The Wheel

Sounds like another re-invention of the wheel.

As others have said, why not stick with FireWire? USB was not designed with networking in mind, while FW networks work quite well. FW 800, 1600 and 3200 seem to work as designed insofar as transfer speeds are concerned. Unfortunately MicroSoft appears to no longer support FW, IIRC.

FW also doesn't need the CPU "overhead" that USB requires, it can stand on its own hardware-wise, another plus over any sort of USB.

If only FiberChannel and similar optical hardware wasn't so expensive, you'd have gobs of bandwidth to play with.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like