back to article Firefox 3.5 set to land tomorrow

Mozilla is expected to spin out a complete version of Firefox 3.5 tomorrow, more than six months on from when it had originally planned to release the browser. A company rep confirmed on Friday that 30 June had been earmarked for the day Firefox 3.5 would be shipped. Firefox 3.1 morphed into 3.5 earlier this year. Mozilla …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Stop

Keen. But...

I'm still trying to work out why Firefox 3 works fine on my XP Pro box, but keeps crashing with a hanging process that can only be killed by a reboot on Vista.

I'm sure it's not a FF issue though as I have it with Opera also.

Very annoying.

2. Greg J Preece

Whoop

Would have used Shiretoko on a daily basis, but I needed my plugins. Looking forward to this.

3. G Roberts
    Happy

Re: Keen. But...

I had this problem with my Vista laptop. Cured by removing Zonealarm and putting PC Tools firewall on instead.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Here we go again

I am stick and tired of these updates and am seriously considering going back to IE.

5. Steven Raith
    Boffin

@Aristotles etc

I'll put a virtual fiver on it being Flash causing the problem - I have that problem on my works limux box too. I just killed plug ins, I don't tend to watch Youtube or owt at work. didn't happen on my home Linux box though...interesting.

Steven R

6. mittfh
    Grenade

@Aristotles....

Start --> "net stop uxsms"

Cures a variety of Vista performance woes (i.e. kills Aero DWM) Kill the sidebar while you're at it, then disable indexing.

Alternatively, for a more radical solution, download and burn a Linux ISO (or few), then reboot. If the sight of a command prompt doesn't scare you witless, then you may actually grow to like Linux...

...besides which, it's free, largely open-source, generally stable, works with most hardware, the built-in updater will download, install and update most software you're likely to need, oh, and did I mention, it's considerably more secure than anything Redmond offer - to the extent of not really needing an antivirus / antispyware product...

...just steer clear of a distro with PulseAudio (unless you enjoy the prospect of the computer mangling volume levels across your speaker setup, leaving you with only a single master volume control to play with...)

Why the grenade? Best thing to do with a Windoze partition :)

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will it....

...work with Flash now, or continually crash the way 3.0 does?

@mittfh - People should avoid Linux. It does not work with Intel graphics chipsets (just how stupid is that?) nor can in work with a large variety of common printers (e.g. Lexmark). It is also far to difficult for the average user to configure or resolve problems on.

As for not needing antiivirus software; your statement clearly indicates your complete lack of understanding. In typical Linux style I am not going to tell you why you are wrong, I expect you to go and read about it elsewhere.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Yes, but

Is there a way to disable the AwfulBar?

11. Stephen Gray
    Thumb Down

@ Here we go again

Because IE never gets any updates now does it....

12. Robert Grant

@Here we go again

It's IE8 now, btw.

13. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    FAIL

@ G Roberts

@ G Roberts : Thanks. I'll try this.

@ mittfh : Thanks but no thanks as I can see no compelling reason to move to Linux.

Fail icon? Because Linux simply won't learn it's lessons.

14. Jimbo 7
    Thumb Up

whiiiiii

I was big IE user for years, then moved to FF2, then Chrome 1, then back to IE .... 6 months ago I installed FF3 and never looked back ... I use VISTA with 3GB ram and FF3 is very fast and I almost never see any issues, the only issues I had were Adobe Flash related

15. Bob Gateaux
    Unhappy

Why they keep on with this?

It is dead man walking with all the security flaw it has and slowness of Jav performance instead of Visual C++ of IE8 choice. I worry that many are led to this by spamware in the emails and do not choose to use in logical fashion. Why can Microsoft not add to Windows an update that will step in to recommend the problems with Firfox and then to direct to IE8 download site? Then people can be protected from all this every month.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

@Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

You won't learn your it(')s lessons

17. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

@Aristotles

"Because Linux simply won't learn its lessons".

Huh. This is FF3.5, a web browser for all operating systems. You really need to get beyond your bigotry.

18. Aortic Aneurysm

FF...

like one of the commenters above, I use FF on my vista laptop with 4gb of Ram and it's superb. No issues at all. Only issue i have with FF on my 1gb desktop XP is adobe flash related. Ie, crashing pages that use silly amount of Flash like some bebo pages.

19. DrXym

Flash performance is horrible

I love Mozilla Firefox but there are times when the CPU consumption goes through the roof. I strongly suspect it is Flash plugins that cause this. I don't know the underlying reasons for this slowdown, but perhaps Firefox is pumping too many windows messages into the plugin and its dragging performance. Or its not cleaning up the plugin when its done. Whatever the reason it needs to be fixed. Otherwise Firefox is awesome.

20. Geoff Mackenzie

A title is required, apparently.

> People should avoid Linux. It does not work with Intel graphics chipsets (just how stupid is that?) nor can in work with a large variety of common printers (e.g. Lexmark).

Actually, it does; basic support for the vast majority of graphics hardware and the option of restricted drivers for the less ideologically pure who want more functionality (like myself - I use restricted drivers on my two boxes that benefit from them). Hardware support is better on Linux than Vista, and fault investigation and resolution on Windows boxes is, let's face it, beyond most users anyway.

> It is also far to difficult for the average user to configure or resolve problems on.

That's not my experience, particularly with Ubuntu; I've introduced a good few 'normal computer users' to it and while they tend to shy away from the shell prompt for the first few months, they don't find that actually stops them doing anything much. Eventually they start venturing into the shell and within a few months wonder how they lived without it.

When was the last time you saw a Windows machine whose user had attempted to configure or troubleshoot? Bet you a virtual fiver a reinstall was necessary just to fix the damage they'd done in the process.

> As for not needing antiivirus software; your statement clearly indicates your complete lack of understanding. In typical Linux style I am not going to tell you why you are wrong, I expect you to go and read about it elsewhere.

That's typical Windows style I think. In the world of Linux (especially newbie-friendly communities like the one around Ubuntu), people are usually very helpful. And no, Linux does not need AV software, and yes, it's considerably more secure than Windows. The real reason you're not going to tell us why, or even suggest a link, is that you know your position is weak.

But feel free to dig in your wallet and shell out for the next shrink wrapped stool sample from Redmond. Really, I don't understand why Windows users get so defensive; mittfh wasn't even being cheeky, just helpful. Us Linux people just use Linux and like it, and like to recommend it to people because switching worked well for us. If you don't like it, cool, no problem. Don't take it so personally!

21. Alastair 7

Re: Here we go again

Yes, a browser with no updates is far better. I mean, sure, all those security exploits and performance issues remain, but I don't have to click "Restart" once a month. Much easier, right?

22. C Yates
    Stop

NOT AGAIN! GAH!

Everytime I open Firefox the b*stard thing updates itself! I know you can switch it off but I shouldn't have to!

Chrome is winning atm =)

23. Doug Glass
    FAIL

@Geoff Mackenzie

Typical Linux BS with blinders. If Linux is so damn good why is Windows still the MARKET PLACE leader which is the ONLY real measure of success. And it doesn't matter all the arguments about tech superiority. If you're not getting it adopted in massive numbers it's a pitiful failure. Any new product put on the market with the horrible "sales" track record of Linux would have died long ago. The only reason it doesn't die is because Linux is free and it adopters are either ultra geeky nerds or a bunch of cheap asses or both.

A handful of your friends, depending on you to make it right, in now way establishes any kind of trend. That's true for Linux adoption just like it's true for 100 pi$$ed off music thieves commenting here attempting to make a case for legalizing piracy. That's called generalization and it's a fallacy.

... end of thread ...

24. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Looking forward to the release...

It's nice to finally have a load of good standards compliant browsers on the market. It'd be even nicer if Microsoft would use the new Trident engine found in IE 8 in the upcoming Outlook instead of the shite that they use in Word to render HTML. Back on topic. No problems with the RC's on any of my machines. Flies along real nice on the Mac (10.5.7). Plays nicely with Windows 7, not tried it with Vista as I'd rather poke my eye's out than use that POS. XP seems to work with it really well too. Works superbly on the Aspire One - Ubuntu 9.04 working with an Intel graphics chipset...

@ sepecifically mittfh & Aristotles blah; I do wish you fanbois would rely on fact rather than FUD, and stay on topic.

Fail, because the only ones that don't learn are the OS astroturfers and fanbois.

25. satori
    Pint

@Doug Glass

<rant> While the state of linux on the desktop is overhyped and I agree with you about windows being dominant on desktop boxen of Doug Glasses alike, you have to realize that the flexibility of the linux kernel and the whole chain (BSD derivatives incl.) is unbeaten, cannot be beaten and never will be beaten unless an apocalypse comes or Microsoft forgets about their puny efforts of componentized bs and release a small flexible (even closed source core) and give normal people the ability to properly componentize. That may be soon or may not happen, ever. Please for the time being though stfu, Doug. </rant>

26. Jimbo 7
    Thumb Down

hmmmm

Why in the world did this discussion slips to Linux vs Windows?

if there is one thing FF does great, it goes across quite a lot of different OS, To be honest almost every single OS sucks because it takes way too long to figure it out, OS should be hidden layer 99% of all normal users don't even know about.

The only OS I've seen you don't even know about is

a. Moblin 2 (still in very early stage)

b. game consoles (WII, XBOX,360, PS3)

can you imagine your OS would be simple like WII? We would not have these silly war talk

27. Martin Huizing
    Thumb Up

Why Firefox is great.

Clipta plug-in: I know there are others who probable do a better job grabbing web-content like flash-streamed movies but none of them work on IE.

Tabbed browsing: I know IE now promotes that now but, no "Undo Close Tab"? Jeez... Immediate closing of a Tab in IE when using the middle mouse button (Firefox lets you ponder until you actually release the button. Smart thinking)

3.5 will even be better I'm sure. Now let's bring on the free web-based apps that should work so well within a browser!

Love hugs and kisses,

Martin

28. Martyn 1
    Linux

@everyone complaining of problems caused by Flash

Install Firefox

Install the Flashblock addon

End of problems and all the annoying crap.

29. satori
    Paris Hilton

@Jimbo 7

Fundamentally, any application layer in the software stack of any OS is dependent on the previous layers. That being said I hope you see how important is the underlying OS to a browser and why there are differences on different underlying layers i.e. OSs.

the suggestion to my ignorance I will take as a joke, cause you must be joking :). Simplicity comes from standardization especially on hardware level. That is what my friend what you are suggesting is irrelevant. Try coding any sort of application on the same software stack as teh Wiiiiiii and compare your experience with an full blown platform like windows or any nix distro.

Mhmmmmmm

30. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

Update Now!!

1. Update

2. Download update

3. If download fail: Goto 1, else goto 1

31. The Mouse
    Thumb Up

touch of Tuesday Weld

Kudos to Kelly F for working a Donald Fagen reference into the title line.....

32. Stephen Gray
    Thumb Down

Huh?

I was going to bang on about browser security etc but then I read Bob Gateaux 's post and I'd just like to say its nice to see Redmond employees taking the time to post on El Reg

33. David Kelly 1
    FAIL

@ Doug Glass

"If Linux is so damn good why is Windows still the MARKET PLACE leader which is the ONLY real measure of success"

Most of Google runs on Linux, do you consider them a success?

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Doug Glass

I could be wrong here but isn't Linux with Apache the leading web-server platform?

Being more popular isn't the same as being better and is completely irrelevant in the world of IT. Hitler was once popular enough to win elections in Germany...

35. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

More like Wednesday Addams now

Need I say more?

36. YumDogfood

It must be the heat

Nice OSWAR flames, pity as (its been said) FF is cross platform. Just like IE right? ;-)

/nope, too warm for my coat today.

37. Tom 106
    Badgers

@ El Reg.

Have you? Gun jump the. Wrong, got it.

38. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Godwins Law.

El Reg. You must now officially close this thread as dictated by Godwins law.

39. Jimbo 7

to satori

You obviously don't get it. I would recommend to attend Edward Tufte's Seminar where he talks about OS in general.

Yes you are probably working in IT and very proud of linux and stacks and layers.... But really, why do 80% of people on this planet who don't care about OS know about it and learn it and fight linux vs windows? Why my dad who wants to send me an email has to spend so much time to learn OS. Yes WII is very simple gaming console (it was an example), but really it took me few seconds to learn it and use it's opera browser. I don't care about kernel, bios or anything else. I care about the application what helps me to do what I want. As you can see some netbooks OS are marching exactly the route I'm describing.

OS should be almost invisible from users. What is so important on OS that we all know about it? Do you know BIOS the same way? Of course not, because it does what it suppose to do and stays hidden. Why I cannot just open computer and use it for the purpose I purchase it? Why do I have to learn so much about OS? Why desktop OS cannot be as simple to use as smartphones or video consoles like WII or XBox 360?

40. Goat Jam
    Linux

@Doug Glass

"If Linux is so damn good why is Windows still the MARKET PLACE leader which is the ONLY real measure of success"

Are you for real? You are aware that MS are a convicted monopolist who are found time and time again to be abusing that position, right?

Do you have any clue how Microsoft got themselves into the market dominance position they enjoy and abuse to this very day?

http://www.vanwensveen.nl/rants/microsoft/IhateMS_1.html

You do know that MS leverages their position to force oem manufacturers to pay for a Windows licence for every PC they sell regardless of whether the PC is shipped with Windows on it, right?

Has it also escaped you that MS will threaten OEMs with price hikes across the board should they even consider offering alternative products?

http://www.vanwensveen.nl/rants/microsoft/IhateMS_4.html

Is it any surprise that they have the majority of the market share? Do you really believe that they have acheived this position through the quality of their products?

You know, this is the sort of attitude that 'dozers have that really piss me off. Do you know what Doug, I couldn't care less whether you want to use Windows or not, I really don't. In fact morons like you probably deserve to be stuck with that craptastic bodge job for the rest of your natural lives.

What I don't understand is why you feel that it is necessary and good that everyone else must be forced down to your level and have no choice in the matter.

All I want is two things, and I'm sure that most Linux users would agree.

1) I want to be able to go and purchase a notebook, netbook or PC of my choice and have it come with the OS of my choice or none at all. I DON'T want to pay the Microsoft Tax.

2) I want to know that the market leader will not have the power or ability to lock me out of large parts of the public internet by deliberately polluting it with proprietary, patent encumbered platform dependent "standards"

That is all.

So Windows fanbois, answer me this, why is it that our desire for these two simple things can cause you all to rise up into a histrionic frenzy and howl down any anyone who has the audacity to want to live a Windows free existence?

Why do we frighten you so?

41. Jimbo 7

to Goat Jam

very good points !

"1) I want to be able to go and purchase a notebook, netbook or PC of my choice and have it come with the OS of my choice or none at all. I DON'T want to pay the Microsoft Tax."

I 400% agree with you, this is BS and hurts everybody (even MS users). Only strong healthy competition pushes innovations. I think Microsoft and Intel are terrible in this. At the same time you can say the same about Apple (they are much smaller, but still lock hardware+software together - I'm not sure if you can buy Apple computer with no OS ...)

"2) I want to know that the market leader will not have the power or ability to lock me out of large parts of the public internet by deliberately polluting it with proprietary, patent encumbered platform dependent "standards""

I'm not sure if Microsoft has such power these days in the server market (thanks god). You should worry more about Google here (they are no innocent friend anymore)

This topic is closed for new posts.