back to article Spammers swift to exploit Jackson death to punt malware

Miscreants have wasted no time exploiting the shock death of Michael Jackson to run email harvesting and banking Trojan campaigns. Security watchers warn that more malware-laced emails themed around the death of the King of Pop and Charlie's Angels star Farrah Fawcett, who also died on Thursday, are likely to follow. Just …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jon Green
    Troll

Here we go...

HELLO FRIEND

IN STRICTEST CONFIDENCE

MY NAME IS TITO JACKSON. YOU WERE RECOMMENDED TO ME BY A FRIEND AS A

STRUSTED PARTY FOR A PARTICULAR TRANSACTION, YOU MAY REMEMBER MY BROTHER

MICHAEL JACKSON, WHO SADLY DIED LAST NIGHT FROM HAERT ATTACK. AT THE

TIME OF HIS DEATH, HE HAD A TRUST FUND FOR $18,500,000 (EITHEEN MILLION

FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS). WE NEED TO USE THESE FUNDS TO COMPENSATE PERSONS ARRANGING MICHAEL'S CONCERTS AT THE 02 CONFERENCE CENTER IN LONDON. WE NEED A TRUSTWORTHY PERSON TO CLAIM THE FUND SO THAT WE CAN USE THE MONEY. WE ARE PREPARED TO PAY YOU 20 PERCENT OF FUND'S VALUE FOR YOUR HELP. WE HOPE THIS MEETS YOUR REQUIREMENTS.

PLEASE CALL +234 803 10 200 TO ARRANGE DETAILS, OR EMAIL

TITO.JACK@MTNONLINE.COM.

THANK YOU, FRIENND.

2. adnim

What he is dead?

I would have never have thought it considering BBC News 24 is now the Micheal Jackson show.

Is this not to be expected, when is a major (not my opinion) news story not exploited for profit?

3. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Plan

1) MJ passes away

2) ????

3) Profit!

4. Jim Carter
    Coat

Bad boys!

Still, must be a thriller for the spammers if anyone falls for it.

5. Daniel Garcia 2
    WTF?

RE:What he is dead?

BBC News 24 is now the Micheal Jackson show = FACT

all day waiting for a report about the development of the Iranian unrest and the only thing i got it is what the world + dog think about the death of Jacko(RIP).

6 hours non stop of deification of a pop musician is not what i think a "respectable" news channel should be doing.

nausea ad maximum.

6. Yorkshirepudding
    Coffee/keyboard

lads from lagos

give em they're due some sucker will fall for it

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Jon Green

Come on - everyone knows that the correct salutation is not "THANK YOU" but "YOURS IN CHRIST".

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Darwinism...

This kind of stuff isn't spam - it's Darwinism at work.

No sympathy whatever for those moronic enough to fall for it.

9. Winkypop Silver badge
    Coat

Beware fraudster pron emails

You just have to: Beat it - beat it - beat it......

10. James O'Brien
    Joke

So there goes a week of news deemed less worthy

Though you have to wonder. . .

Seeing as Jacko is 99% plastic is he going to be made into Playmobile blocks so that El Reg can play with him for a change?

/We need a re-enactment of this one :)

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now jes' hold on pardner..

"But the spammer can harvest receivers’ email addresses via a free live email address if the spam message is replied to"

If I get send a spam email wouldn't that mean they already have my address and don't need to harvest it?

12. THOMAS STEWART VON DRASHEK
    Grenade

AmphetaMike Is Spam....

While Canabalism Is Still Limited, Ummm, Those Juicy Tenderloins, Marinated In OverSupply of Narcotics.... well, here My Memorial. Maybe Bit DrasHek.

ThomasStewart wrote:

by -TS- June 25, 2009 10:21 PM PDT

Whom Was Michael Jackson? Michael Jackson Was BlackSmith Whom Forged Iron of Our Red Hot Street, Taking ilBeGottons & thru Fire od Creativeity, Sparks & Hammering Beat of Rythmic Gesturing, New Self Awareness Was Forged. True Kinship With ALL Peoples. Truely One of Worlds GREATEST Artist. Going from Friends Family & Opening Market. Machael Jackson Took Arts To heights Never Thought Possible.

michael Jackson Was MAN of GREAT Devotion to Family & Humanity, Knowing of Special Position Michaels Family Had Carved For Jacksons,yet Humble. Caring Friendship that Molded Socieities Brethren Into True Self Appreciation & Pride.Michaels Skills Are Unsurpassed,Snipped By Fate or BAD Luck, Machael Jackson Will Never Be Replaced In Arts & Letters.

Had Michael Lived In Peace And Harmony AS Michael Sought, Near Shakespearean of Modern Age Was Emerging. Forger of Language & Culture, Introspective Eye, Now Upon Hard Works & Loves of Youth, Polictical Force, BAR None. Michael Jackson Generously Gave Talent To Video Sercves, ALL Over WEB, Shows Michaels Humbleness & Gratitude. Its Fright That Michael IS Gone. Unkowninf of Own Blessed Works. Us. Michaels Children of Delight, Will Hold Michael Jackson Dearly IN Our Hearts Until

Day We Die. too.

Signed:PHYSICIAN THOMAS STEWART von DRASHEK M.D.,D.D.,B.F.A

PS Have second post below too. Why do ner 'd wells remind me of Queen of Hearts: Have Very Happy Unbirthday to You?

6/26/2009 1:19:43 PM

ThomasStewart wrote:

Mike, Motown & Hollywood. All on Sunset Blvd. Michaels Sunset was Tort Action last year for 6 billion dollars. Staggering sum, Michael settled out of court, to Suadi Arabian. It is most likely that ALL Michaels future work would be of NO account & by statutory, Michael can retire name of Charcter. Its reflection of Societies communication upon artists message.

Locally, another Jackson, Bre' Jackson worked in NCAA Field.Bre' Is Strong Promoter of Blackness. Neighbors Are Ms. Johnson, Just Think MAGIC.Each BandHouse Is Collection of Performers Trained in Characters Style & Often limited To Shows They Control of Local Events. So Jackson/Johnson Family has its Ups & Downs.

Madonna already split with Jackson Troupe & other properties will, No Doubt continue under Mr. Jacksons' Command. Thats way it is with ones property.

Too Bad, Yet Valurability Had To End.

Signed:PHYSICIAN THOMAS STEWART von DRASHEK M.D.

Posted by: thomasxstewart | June 25, 2009 8:09 PM

Posted by: thomasxstewart | June 25, 2009 8:15 PM |

Heres PCommentos; Two. Obvious link being pursue is Marriage to Marie Presly & identical deaths of two Kings of Pop/ MD whom overprescribed Narcotics to Michael Is being Hunted Down & property Confiscated. Its SAD repition That No One Cared About. Or Is It Front.

6/26/2009 1:24:55 PM

Signed: MK Jackson.

13. Andus McCoatover

Crescendo of clogs popping off.

Misread...I thought it was Wacky Jaqui, not Wacko Jacko who'd croaked.

My bad. And his. RIP. Still, I live in hope...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As usual

They always target greed, senility or madness, or a combination. This one is mostly going to hit the crazies I think.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like