back to article How to case high-profile targets without really trying

We've been hearing for years that MySpace and other social networking sites can represent a gaping chink in an otherwise hardened corporate network. Now a London-based security consultant has created a tool that proves it. Enter the PKI Book, created by Petko D. Petkov. Just type in the domain name of an organization you, er …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jeff

Names like bong

are pretty normal in the Philippines.

2. Alan Donaly

there is a tasty scam here

I just know it but I am too tired to figure it out right

now maybe later it will come to me something along the lines those Chinese industrial espionage spys were running ie targeted spamsploits this just makes that easier than it should be but there

is more meat here than that.

3. Ru

Um, can chinks actually gape?

I always considered a 'chink' to be a fairly small hole. A large security hole might be better named 'gaping hole', 'huge crack', 'chasm', 'wound', 'maw' or perhaps 'abyss' depending on required levels of hyperbole and FUD.

4. Matt Siddall

Nice idea but

I'm sure in time this may be something to worry about, but right now, I'd say it's a minor risk.

According to http://www.hsbc.com/1/PA_1_1_S5/content/assets/csr/2006_hsbc_cr_report.pdf HSBC had 300,000 employees worldwide in 2006. Of these, the tool managed to find 2.

5. Simon Greenwood

Re: Um, can chinks actually gape?

Of course, if they're astonished. The black jacket with the red armband, thanks.

6. Sabahattin Gucukoglu

PGP Required?

Won't that prove to be something of a major restriction, given the relatively small number of actual PGP users? Wouldn't a search against the email addresses of NIC handles given in whois responses or those in DNS SOA records provide a larger sample of people? Seems to me though that the people most likely to be affected are in a technical role, so with a bit of luck are less likely to fall for the scams intended for them.

Cheers,

Sabahattin

This topic is closed for new posts.