back to article O2 tells Apple fans to talk to the hand

O2, who hold the UK exclusive on the iPhone, provides a useful online ordering tool for those looking to get the latest Apple hardware - as long as you're not using Apple's Safari browser. Everyone else is most welcome: Firefox, Internet Explorer and even Opera Mobile can all connect and apply for a long-term contract. But …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Nelson

Nelson Muntz. Nuff said.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

Err ..

That's not right! I ordered my lovely shinny new iPhone 32GB 3Gs via the O2 website using Safari and it worked fine! ... and still is ...

Perhaps someone hasn't updated their Safari in a long time?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Works fine!?

Works absolutely fine here, on safari 4/mac. Either they fixed it before you published or it was some odd glitch?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nooo...

I can't order my new iPhone from my old iPhone, what ever will I do!!!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Not really a surprise

To buy an iPhone from an Apple store you find one of their geniuses who takes you over to one of their display iMacs, fires up VMware and logs in to a virtual XP machine so they can then use O2's tool for registering the purchase.

"I know" was all the 'genius' would say to my derision... when I asked why VMware instead of Parallels he said it was because Parallels wasn't up to it.

Oh dear...

6. Ben 10
    Stop

Seems fine here

I'm using Safari 4 beta and it works fine.

7. Matt 20
    Paris Hilton

Browser Compatibility

O2 sites regularly complain that my version of Netscape is out of date, when in fact I am running the latest version of Camino. They're not the best at testing and proofing their sites for all browsers.

Paris, because she wouldn't turn anyone away.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

Worked fine for me.

Friday morning, order placed, Saturday morning, delivered.

That was for an iPhone on a contract, using Safari 4, on Mac OSX 10.5.7.

9. pctechxp

What do you expect

Everyone knows how crap Safari is.

10. Richard 102

This just in ...

O2 technician amanfrommars had no comment when questioned by reporters.

11. Jimbo 7

funny

This is just too funny !!

Who uses SAFARI on their computer anyway? lol

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Works ok for me...

Didn't get to actually putting my card details in as I'm still on the original 3G iPhone but using Safari 4 up to that point it worked fine... !

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Eh?

I guess you must have some broken version of Safari then as my Safari 4 renders the page just dandy and did so on launch day too.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

It's all relative...

Safari on the desktop is crap owing to the availability of much better browsers (e.g. Firefox).

Safari on the iPhone is pretty damn good because it's got the best interface and means of displaying web pages compared to awful things like Internet Explorer on Windows Mobile. Unless Chrome is better on the Google phone, I've not tried it.

Still, I was hoping this might be some statement from O2 about why they've decided to charge a fortune for the new iPhones (and upgrades and tethering)...

15. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Works on Safari 4.0

Not sure where the problem is - followed the link and it worked fine on Safari 4.0. Not that that would persuade me to buy a 3GS though...

16. Piers

Fantastic!

And in the bottom right of your screenshot it says...

"We're better, connected". Maybe not then.

17. Blain Hamon

Eh?

Works fine for me, even if I turn off javascript. (10.5.7, Safari 3.2.3)

18. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

CrO22 browsers

O2's site is littered with pretty poor browser support. When setting up a blackberry with a new email address (admittedly about 12months ago now) I was forced to use IE, nothing but IE, and believe me, as a mac fanboy, I tried. Eventually used VMWare.

When the first iPhone came out Parallels was used to run WinXP and IE on the macs so as the Apple Staff can use the o2 portal. I guess VMware got the deal for the Apple Store shopper's face time; there is no noticeable difference in performance at this fairly menial task between Parallels and VMWare.

Safari 4 is the fastest browser I've ever experienced. I know I have mentioned already that I am a fanboy, but it launches faster and renders pages faster... What else do I want?

Before you answer ... I also consider myself to be fairly well versed in the CSS and JS quirks that are to be found in ALL BROWSERS, and as a responsible developer work out a way around them; as opposed to over use of uppercase letters and exclamation points to deride them!!

Although, O2's shoddy support for Safari and even FF!!!! DON'T GET ME STARTED!

19. Daniel Pimley

Safari FUD

"Safari on the desktop is crap owing to the availability of much better browsers"

Oddly, in my browser your comment reads as "blah blah blah." Perhaps it's a text encoding problem. Silly me for browsing with Safari, now I'll never get to read your illuminating words.

20. Jimbo 7

Safari FUD

"Oddly, in my browser your comment reads as blah blah blah."

that is something I would expect from Apple, their censorship approach is nothing new. LOL

I see everything other users type in my firefox ...

21. NogginTheNog

Port-what?

What the frik is a "portlet"??! :-0

22. This post has been deleted by its author

23. Matt K

What's a portlet?

Great Yarmouth?

24. Steve 63

@NogginTheNog

Its a female portal...... lol

It take you to another dimesion..

No wait sorry thats the bogs at end of office

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Portlet"

What genius came up with that name.

Apologies. When I said genius - I meant twat.

26. Rob Kidd
    Stop

Balls

I had this exact same problem yesterday in both Firefox and IE8. It was resolved within an hour or two.

Although that still doesn't make O2 look any better.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Anonymous Coward 16:49

That's the opposite to my experience. For some reason they couldn't activate my iPhone at the O2 on their Windows laptop so they got the MacBook and did it on there instead, because "it was just better".

28. The First Dave
    Dead Vulture

Standards

Perhaps next time the reporter could do a little homework and:

1.) Verify that the problem actually exists

2.) Do a tiny bit of digging to reveal what the issue is, and whether or not it ACTUALLY applies to that browser, since the message suggests that O2 are just sniffing for a browser that their code is incompatible with.

@AC It's all relative...

If you had cited Camino as better than Safari, I might have agreed, but not FireFox, not anymore - v3 is just too bloated for words, almost as bad as IE these days.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like