back to article Windows 7, Bing and security: Mr Ballmer regrets

You can measure the size of a man's regret by how much he spends to make up for his mistakes. If you've missed your girlfriend's birthday, for example, then that could be a lolcat. If you're Steve Ballmer and you've let Google run away with online search and advertising, that could be $5.5 to $11bn of Microsoft's operating …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Timbo99

Microsoft Security Essentials must be a good thing

I think your comments about Microsoft Security Essentials are not particularly valid.

1. This is good press - with so many people thinking that Windows is full of security holes but alternative OS's are built like Swiss bank vaults - a positive story about MS providing FREE extra security can't hurt.

2. Manufacturers do have an incentive to provide Microsoft Security Essentials - it's an added feature that will cost them nothing - it could certainly sway consumers decisions to buy a system if they have added security plastered all over them.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Vista is shit.

How do you turn off the calculating time remaining?

I wanted to move three thousand files, and it took ten minutes to decide how long, and 5 seconds to actually do it.

It's f*cking shit. I f*cking hate it.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Timbo99

Erm, it's been so long since customers had to make decisions on what OS to chose when buying a PC that I doubt they're able to do it anymore (that specific region of the brain responsible for this action has vanished many years ago). Besides that, don't forget this Security Essentials is being brought to you by the same company that authors the vulnerabilities in their OS. It's like generously handing bandages to the people you shoot at.

4. Somethingelse
    Thumb Up

RE: Vista is shit.

I stopped using the Vista copy handler years ago.

Try the free TeraCopy, it's fast and NO more "calculating time remaining"

http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.php

5. Tom 35

@ Timbo99

"Manufacturers do have an incentive to provide Microsoft Security Essentials"

Yes it's free, but if they include a trial of Norton/Mcfee they get a kickback. So unless MS is going to bribe them to install it there is no incentive.

6. Sly
    Happy

file copy

roadkil's unstoppable copier is also free, small, and very fast.

http://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=29

and has some additional features like being able to pause the copy in the middle of a file and continue after you've finished doing whatever you needed to do that requires pausing the copy.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Memo to Mr. Ballmer

Instead of spending money on pig lipstick, spend it on research to build a decent product.

Radical, I know, but it might just work.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Did you forget something?

You perhaps could you have mentioned that this product:

1. Will not block malicious web sites

2. Will not block infected web sites

3. Will not identify intrusions

4. Will not block phishing sites (though IE 8 does it - badly)

5. Does a bad job of blocking rootkits (see PC Mag's review)

6. Does a bad jog blocking keyloggers (diddo)

7. Has no rescue disk

8. Has no identity protection

9. Has no support

Sounds perfect to me.

Could you get security expert to these reports in the future?

9. Giles Jones Gold badge

@file copy

It's comes to something when an OS can't even do the basics well.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

Re: Did you forget something?

I'm not aware of Linux or OSX being able to jog at all. Poking MSE for jogging badly seem somewhat disingenuous to me.

11. Simon Langley
    Gates Horns

Vista file copying - unbelievable uselessness

@AC I completely agree with your assessment of Vista. How crap is it that a simple operation like copying files should work so badly that it can be quicker to turn the machine off and back on again and give it another go instead of waiting to see if it ever works out how long it will take to delete one file? Last year I spent £700 on a new Apple laptop for my wife so I would not be bombarded with her problems getting Vista to do even simple things properly (such as stay connected to a wireless network for more than an hour at a time). Two days later, she stopped asking questions and now her MacBook just does its stuff and she loves it.

Vista wasn't even beta quality. To be fair to Windows 7, it is the OS that Vista should have been but of course it's still Microsoft and all that entails.

@Microsoft

You have screwed us over for too long. I have completely lost patience and I really don't care how good or bad Windows 7 is, I shall never voluntarily touch another Microsoft product as long as I live.

This topic is closed for new posts.