back to article Sony Ericsson Walkman W995

If you're a music mad, photo enthusiast, then Sony Ericsson has you in its sights with the W995 – its most advanced convergence of camera and music phone features to date. Featuring a Walkman media player and an 8.1Mp camera, the W995 also has HSDPA 3G, Wi-Fi, A-GPS and a new media sync system for Macs and Windows PCs. Sony …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sam York

Title required

"Sony Ericsson's standard two-pin Fast Port power connection and a 3.5mm jack plug, which is nice, but somewhat superfluous since an adaptor for the power plug also features a 3.5mm headphone socket and is included with the supplied earbuds."

So after EVERY review you've ever written of a SE phone criticising them for using an adapter for the 3.5mm socket, and saying they should put a standard socket on the phone, you now write this?

I admit they could have made the charger socket smaller, but kudos for remaining compatible with their existing chargers.

2. Alan W. Rateliff, II
    Paris Hilton

Lamentations

Ok, I know the CyberShot series is not a Walkman series phone, but I definitely lament the loss of ease-of-access to the media player when moving from my K790a to the K850i. And most unfortunately, the C905a is not yet available, so I will be using the 850 for a couple of years to come, having just dropped a couple clams on it. Seriously, would it have hurt to put a Play/Pause button on the side of the 850 as exists on the 790? Now starting and stopping media requires maneuvering through menus versus a single button press. BOO!

Anyway, if SE would combine the better W-series features into its CyberShot line, I would finally have THE all-in-one phone I so desire.

Eh, I also lament to coming loss of the M2. I was rather fond if this stick, even if it means minor incompatibilities on the whole. I particularly like that it does not require a special format or compatibility mode to go over 4GB (eg SDHC.) On the other hand, I like the idea of being able to take the stick out of the phone and put it directly into my laptop. That *is* handy. *sigh*

So as I put forth, how about a single convergence model combining the Walkman and CyberShot phones?

Paris, also begging for convergence.

3. Jerome 0
    Flame

Headphone socket

For heaven's sake, a manufacturer does the right thing for once and includes a 3.5mm headphone socket, and you call it "superfluous"!? No phone has the right to call itself a Walkman phone without having somewhere to plug headphones in. Bundled headphones are always dreadful quality (naturally) and headphone adaptors are the work of the devil.

4. Lutin

Headphone socket

Got to admit I am a bit bewildered by the comment on the superfluous headphone socket.

Why on earth should you have to carry round an adapter in order to plug your headphones in?

Reg, you said so yourself, loads of times in your reviews.

That's why this has a 3.5mm socket.

5. Anonymously Deflowered

Agree with the above comments

Every SE Walkman review I've read on the Reg has moaned at the lack of a 3.5mm socket so I was astonished to see a complaint when one finally arrived.

And I'm not sure how the complaint at the way the panoramic picture makes the road look bent is fair. I can't figure out in my mind how else it *could* look with subject matter that close to the lens? Why not test the panoramic stitching on a PANORAMIC VIEW?

6. Chippy-Minton
    Thumb Up

Sony formats

"the W995 may be one of the last batch of Sony Ericsson phones to use the M2 type, after the company's announcement earlier this month that it plans to migrate to the more standard microSD format"

Sanity at last. Let's hope for a masacre of memory stick and other Sony proprietry formats.

I might even start buying their products again.

7. richard 69
    Stop

the zoom on those test images....

no fucking way!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

@Chippy-Minton

SD, miniSD, microSD, SDHC, miniSDHC, microSDHC, SDXC etc. are equally as proprietary as Sony's own MS format. The only truly open format is CF.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like