back to article Sony scientists develop sugar-fuelled power pack

Sony's battery boffins seem to have learnt some lessons from the previous few month's, ahem, problems. They've developed a battery that generates power from sugar and, they claim, can create enough power to run an MP3 player. The so-called "bio battery" generates electricity by mixing enzymes with a sugar solution. They break …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Gosnell

Ammonium nitrate

How long until they reveal ammonium nitrate is also a key ingredient?

2. Chris Morrison

Sugar

Can you eat the sugar afterwards?

That would be genius, never again would you go to an office or someone else's house and have Tea or Coffee only to be told there was no sugar. You'd have your own supply with you all the time!

You'd have to trade off though, have sugar in your coffee or lose 20mins of battery life for the tube ride home!

Chris

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wayhay! Toffee when it overheats

I can see them now, queueing in Starbucks for a $5 recharge.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

wow a sugar battery....

swwweet! :)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ooh! - it's nautral so it must be OK.

"Sony also claimed the battery is ecologically friendly and regenerative, because sugar is a naturally occurring substance."

What? like oil, arsenic, uranium, Ebola and hungry polar-bears..

OK, in this case it's probably OK but I always love the "it's natural so it must be good logic."

6. leslie

HHGTTG

Can it run on a strong sweet cup of T ?

7. laird cummings

Battery go 'BOOM!'

"...How long until they reveal ammonium nitrate is also a key ingredient?..."

:-D

This would have the potential make the Li-ion problems look like firecrackers. Hmmmm... A whole new world of exploding devices... Q would be proud!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't worry about the Ammonium Nitrate

Ammonium Nitrate is a secondary explosive. It actually takes quite a bit to set it off even when it has been mixed with a sensitizer such as Fuel Oil 9the imfamus ANFO mixture).

Typically, it requires a military style blastic cap to detonate.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE: Ooh! - it's natural.....

"What? like oil, arsenic, uranium, Ebola and hungry polar-bears.."

There's something bad about polar bears being hungry? Or are polar bears just bad period? Please let me know so i can be appropriately terrified for no reason.

All the things you listed are neither good nor bad until some idiot gets involved.

10. laird cummings

Don't worry about the Ammonium Nitrate..?!

Q will be most displeased.

So will Dr. Evil. *That* for global e-device extortion... Ah, well. On to the next soon-to-fail plot!

11. David Gosnell

Secondary explosive...

Perhaps use a small Li-ion pack as a detonator?

OK, clutching at straws now!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like