back to article Street View solves Dutch mugging

In news which proves inconvenient for those of us who believe Google's Street View is nothing more than one tentacle of the Great Satan of Mountain View's humanity-supressing internet beast, Dutch press reports that snoopmobile images from the all-seeing web eye have been used to collar two muggers. A 14-year-old lad from …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. northern monkey
    Black Helicopters

I knew this would happen!

I wonder if it changes the privacy watchdog's minds, now they know the data can be used for good as well as evil. I mean what's the difference between being caught on a CCTV every third lamppost to being caught on mountain-view-cam?

2. Steve Evans

Mugger school

Lesson 1

Don't jump your victim in front of a Vauxhall/Opel car carrying a dozen cameras on the roof.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah ha!

I hope the police also arrested the guy who was mugged for riding on the pavement.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"inconvenient"

There's a intro I wish we'd see a lot more from mainstream media. And politicians for that matter.

5. Emo

Maybe

If he was riding on the fucking road it could have been avoided.

Yes I am aware they drive/ride on the other (wrong) side of the road, but he wouldn't have been in there path [no pun intended!].

6. Emo

On the other hand

They were probably just collecting the "riding on the pavement tax".

7. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

What a surprise.......

to see what the perpetrators look like !!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only in Holland

Had this happened in the UK the only person in court would be the victim. Up in front of the beak for cycling on the pavement....

9. Studley
    Stop

Schtop!

Something doesn't schmell right here. He claims he didn't know the two guys who mugged him? Then why (if you follow the Google car along the entire length of the road) was he cycling merrily alongside them for close to 2 minutes (assuming a 20kph speed limit)?

Still, great to see Big Brother finally scoring a kill (or a wrist-slapping at least). Now we just need the service to become real-time, and we'll all be totally safe.

10. David 30

So did he get done

...for cycling on the pavement? Deserves everything he got for that, if you ask me.

11. Oninoshiko
    Paris Hilton

hrm

Well this is kind of a weird place, isnt it? On the one hand I am glad this thugs got caught (I just can't abide thuggery), but on the other hand, it does kinda validate the point of privicy advocates, doesnt it?

Then again, do you have a right to privacy on a public street?

I 'GRR' at you, elReg, for upsetting my black-and-white universe!

Paris, because it makes both of our heads hurt

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it just me...

...or does a "Dutch Mugging" sound like it should be something really dirty?

13. Poopie McStinklestein 1
    Black Helicopters

No title

See now - if there were cameras filming our daily lives 24/7, think of all the crime that would be solved.

Sure, it'd be nice to actually *prevent* the murders, rapes, and muggings, but cleaning up after them is the second best option.

14. Winkypop Silver badge
    Pirate

@David W

You owe me a new keyboard!

BTW, wanna check out my Dutch Oven?

15. This post has been deleted by its author

16. b166er

I thought

Dutch cyclists had absolute priority (even over pedestrians)

17. techmind

Cycling is *allowed* on the pavement in much of Holland

Give the guy some slack.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bastards

Your all bastards arent you? Its ok to beat him and rob him because he was on the sidewalk and not the road... bloody hooligans the lot of you.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Grammar nazi bastards?

...steaming pile of grammar-nazi-pavement-cycling-bastards.

20. Sooty
    Joke

@David W

"Is it just me...

...or does a "Dutch Mugging" sound like it should be something really dirty?"

You're thinking of a "Dutch Lobster"

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@emo

emo's comment "If he was riding on the fucking road it could have been avoided" is the type of comment that a complete idiot of the highest order would make.

It is not OK for 2 x 24 year olds to attach a 14 year old. Period.

The world would be a better place if anybody tagging themselves as 'emo' is brutally tortured and then shot - just for making that comment in el reg...

22. Martin Cleaver

Cylcing on the pavement

Hey!

He's cycling on the pavement - that gets a 35 euro fine in Holland!

MC

This topic is closed for new posts.