back to article Symantec rides dedupe roadmap to backup software

Symantec is embedding deduplication capabilities in NetBackup and Backup Exec as part of its ongoing of its backup software. Instead of seeing these software products backup data to deduplicating appliances, such as those from EMC, Data Domain or Dell's DL2000 CommVault Simpana box, Symantec will have its own backup products …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

stupid question

but how will this affect me and my tape backups atm will it all be reduced in a update ??

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Interesting...

I suppose that would be cool. If the de-dupe is a software product, that would keep me from locking into a hardware vendor. Nothing like getting a good EMC deal today, and finding out the price goes UP once they are entrenched in my infrastructure.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

re:stupid question

Dedupe only works on disk for the moment, for the vast majoroty of providers. There's only one I can think of that's doing it to tape, and I'm not 100% satisfied it's going to work effectively.

Coat because I lost my data

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Clarification

This article is a bit misleading as although Symantec already have a totally positive story for the backup of remote offices that doesn't need hardware vendor tie-in, they also already offer deduplication away from the remote office via the PDDO option for Netbackup . Admittedly this is server side de-dup as opposed to client side, but does avoid any client overhead.

What El Reg is talking about is client side de-dup. That will come in NBU and BUE. It might even have come with EMC, but by their desperate actions in trying to buy Data Domain they're clearly saying that their current de-dup technology - Avamar - doesn't cut the mustard, hence them looking elsewhere.

Who does that leave? Commvault? Themselves a potential acquisition target? Tolly Group didn't seem to rate them...

http://www.tolly.com/DocDetail.aspx?DocNumber=209125

http://www.tolly.com/DocDetail.aspx?DocNumber=209123

5. simply_amazed
    Thumb Down

Research before publishing

" Instead of seeing these software products backup data to deduplicating appliances, such as those from EMC, Data Domain or Dell's DL2000 CommVault Simpana box, ..."

Ahh Commvault has been doing this with the implemenation of 8.0. The DL2000 box is simply a prepackaged solution of a server with storage, which uses CommVaults Dedup engine. The others referenced are Hardware Solutions.

If readers want a true discription of what the author is trying to talking about go to Commvault.com

6. Chris Mellor 1

Symantec not trying to buy InMage

I'm assured by Eric Burgener, SVP marketing at InMage, that there is no truth to the rumour that Symantec is trying to buy InMage.

Chris.

This topic is closed for new posts.