back to article Microsoft: 18-month Windows 7 downgrade rights

If you get a PC running Windows 7 but can't divorce yourself from Windows XP, Microsoft will give you 18 months to downgrade - not six. That's the line from Microsoft, which said that downgrade rights will be available from the date Windows 7 ships - October 22, 2009 - to April 1, 2011. Downgrades cover just two editions of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jón Frímann Jónsson
    Linux

Like people care what Microsoft says...

I can see people caring when they wipe there computer, installing either Windows XP or one of the Linux distro out there.

2. Goat Jam
    Gates Halo

"Downgrade rights to Windows Vista will not expire."

Phew. Thank god for that!

3. JK
    Paris Hilton

So...

... why do we have to upgrade to Windows 7 from Windows XP Professional (which doesn't expire...) -- so that we can downgrade from Windows 7 to Windows XP Professional for 18 months?

It could be that it's late, and I've been out of the loop, but it looks like this is only something of interest for people who buy new machines with Windows 7 on it?

4. Time for a career change
    Linux

Zombie

Ha! Will MS ever be able to finally kill off XP??

Here's a tip: Knock it's head off.

It's good to laugh at a MS story on a Friday morning, it sets me up for the weekend.

5. The Original Ash
    Thumb Up

Fine

I just won't conform with the license. It's not like I have for a fair few years anyway... O:-)

6. greg 4

Windows 7

I'm happy to move to Windows 7... nice looking OS. We are in fact migrating in the new year. Just means my company have to pay to retrain me!

7. dave hands
    Gates Horns

Only Microsoft has to do this?

Release a new product and then offer a way to avoid it.

8. vegister

There is a solution to this.

Make every new OS you release better than the last one.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

@greg 4

Or they fire you and get a contractor in. Usually cheaper.

10. Ryan Barrett
    Dead Vulture

Luddites

Seriously, guys. On an modern machine Vista is simply better than XP. At least once it's correctly configured. Windows 7 is even better.

Yet on most of the big IT sites we're still seeing loads of 'IT professionals' moaning because they want to keep using XP.

Heck, move to KDE4/gnome if you really don't like Microsoft. They're both better than XP.

But it's nothing to do with Vista/Windows 7, is it? It's just the crusy-mafia out to stop them young 'uns 'changing things again'. Ain't it?

Bloody luddites.

11. Jeffrey Nonken
    Flame

@Ryan Barrett

Not everybody has your priorities. Nice job stereotyping everybody who doesn't agree with you.

You like to call people names? OK. If I'm a Luddite, you're a self-centered jerk.

Before you yell "Hypocrite!" notice the qualifier.

Your move.

12. Paul
    Flame

retrain?

@greg4

seriously? you need training in order to use windows?

or maybe you mean adding a module to "Must Consult Someone Else" in order to go through the "point and drool" process of installing server.

13. Christian Berger

@vegister

They cannot make it much better. They have reached preety much the top with Windows 2000. If they'd change any more, they'd be incompatible. That's why XP mostly adds nagging features.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The temptation is just too much..

If we're fed up of running software are we allowed to downgrade to Linux or Mac OS?

15. Andy Bright

@Paul

No, this is how you get free certification. Now most people would argue that running Windows Server was certifiable all by itself, but that's just nitpicking.

These days employers, heads of IT departments and generally anyone else who doesn't understand IT demand Microsoft certification for most jobs.

Those that do understand what they actually need sometimes do this too, just so they can chuck out thousands of applications for a single job without having the need to write up pages of justification. Saves running afoul of discrimination laws, stick a "Must have MSCE" or whatever and you can legally discard any applicant that doesn't.

So as an employee the answer to this problem is to demand "retraining" every time a new version of Windows arrives. Admin and Engineer certification costs thousands of pounds/dollars, and without this handy tool most of us wouldn't have a free way to get re-certified before our existing documents become obsolete in the eyes of the prospective employer.

As a favour to everyone in our industry, I'd ask you not to make it clear the true value of such certification to your own employer or any other person you happen to meet, as well as keeping quiet about the need to "retrain" for every version of windows.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like