back to article Digital Britain dithers over spectrum plans

Lord Carter's report on Digital Britain has quite a lot to say on spectrum allocations, though there are still significant gaps to fill before we have a radio spectrum master plan. Most of what's in Digital Britain echoes the proposals made by Kip Meek last month. This should come as no surprise, given that Mr. Meek was tasked …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. D@v3

mobile on the tube

is anyone really on the tube long enough to really benefit from having mobile broadband access?

I wouldn't know, I long ago found out that you can walk most places in London, quicker and cheaper than taking the tube

(I'm not knocking our underground public transport system, its great for people who don't know, or don't want to know where the place they are going to is in relation to the place they are coming from)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Ooh, spectrum auctions

Spectrum auctions, we like those don't we.

Can anyone remind me of one of those that's actually *worked* so far in the UK?

The ones I can remember are:

3G, which left the "winners" indebted for decades to come with no visible way of recouping their "investment".

Fixed wireless broadband access: won by various bidders, PCCW did post-auction deals so they ended up with all of them, and then started changing their name on a regular basis before becoming largely invisible without ever rolling out any meaningful service anywhere, let alone a national one.

As for WiMax: how is Pipex Wireless (aka Freedom4) getting on with its Intel-funded WiMax rollout in MK and Warwick?

Spectrum auctions? Don't make me laugh.

3. mmiied

spectrum auctions

to pay for bank bail outs?

4. A B 3
    Joke

It took me a while...

to come up with a witty comment about your goverment, but here goes:

To do list:

Rob the taxpayers... check

Burn the bridges... to do

Quell free speech... doing

I think you get the idea

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

(untitled)

Sometimes I wonder if some hit the "joke alert" icon by accident.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Ooh, spectrum auctions

All our politicians suffer from a blindness to history, re-cycling old ideas that didn't work... currently they seem to be trying to recycle ideas first tried by Joseph S and Adolf H.

If they had to think of some new way of doing things it might actually involve some work!

7. mp00

ineffective auction

I don't understand how the 800MHz auction is going to be effective. The proposed parameters appear to effectively rule out Voda and O2, leaving only three bidders (ignoring new entrants) for three 2x10MHz blocks. I don't think operators are allowed to acquire more than one of the three blocks so doesn't this mean that all will end up paying pretty much the reserve price, or am I missing something?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like