back to article Huawei's Android touchphone details revealed

Huawei may have finally unveiled a few of the specifications for its first Android handset - the U8230 - but Register Hardware has laid its hands on the device’s full feature list. Huawei_android Huawei's first Android handset: the U8230 The phone supports a variety of Google applications, including Maps, Search and Talk, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Duncan 5

Predictive surely?

"Whether the U8230 uses a special shift key to allow a key's second character to be entered, relies on predictive text or both isn't yet known."

Surely the answer is in the picture - it shows words starting "su" and "au", both of which are possible given the dual nature of the "AS" key.

2. vincent himpe

patent idea

A keyboard with just one button,

The shift key selects between numbers or letters.

then there are the ALT keys. ( Alt1 tot ALT5 )

Depending on which alt keys you press you select a different letter.

hardware will be simpler : the 5 alt keys can be read directly. when the keypress comes : take binary number formed by altkeys and clock it in. done

Come on. can we please have a normal keyboard ? what is with all these crazy keyboard layouts ...

3. Mark 65

(untitled)

It'll be interesting to see a review of one. Much as I hate the iPhone, due mainly to a dislike of the laptop level pricing and network lock-in as well as 1-day battery life rather than being an Apple-hater, Apple have shown that it's not just the hardware or the hardware + interface that count it is the ecosystem that surrounds it. With the ipod it was iTunes and the music/video store and with the iPhone it's iTunes and the app store.

The ipod was never the best quality mp3 but every mp3 player review always refers to compatibility with iTunes (even though I think it's spurious). This clearly shows the ecosystem (or marketing) at work.

It would be great for competition if this phone can match or beat the iPhone on the hardware + interface front at least. That way consumers may start to see reasonable pricing.

I guess the android market place will get there in the end but it doesn't seem to have the committed backing that the app store does, primarily I think because Google is just interested in search + advertising whereas Apple is interested in sales.

4. Lawrence 7
    Coat

Huawei?

Huaya! Huaya! Huaya! Huaya!

5. mrweekender
    Stop

Forgive my technical opinion...

...but that's shite! Standards please, for fucksake!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Let's build a phone, team

It'll be like all our competitors.. no flash, basic optics, no 3.5mm jack. And nothing but a bit of crappy software to distinguish it!

FFS.

My 2 year old K800i has a BETTER camera, no touchscreen but the Tocco Mini is a lovely example of how cheap touchscreen tech can be (albeit not a smart phone).

This phone is pretty, but if it doesn't tick a load of boxes it's jsut the same as all the other tripe being trotted out.

7. Jeff 35
    Jobs Halo

Apple does it better

1 wheel + 1 button!

I saw it on the onion, so it must be true

8. Robert Grant
    IT Angle

My Touch Diamond has exactly this, built in and a year old.

I can see the IT angle, but where's the news angle?

9. B4PJS
    Stop

@ Robert GRand

I totally agree with you, HTC's EzInput 2.0 looks even better than EzInput 1.5 (which you probably have, get the upgrade from xda devs).

Anyway, I would generally have thought that this keyboard layout would have been likened to the Blackberry Pearl 15 key keyboard. How old is that and how is this news? Unless it is the fact that someone has made a touchscreen keyboard for Android, then you should have focussed the news article on that portion of the story.

10. Robert Taylor
    Thumb Up

Soft keyboard = Cootek TouchPal 4

The soft keyboard in the screenshots is TouchPal 4 by CooTek - I know, I use it on a windows mobile device and it is excellent. You can achieve incredibly quick text input on it.

Their website states that they have been developing a version for Android, and they also have videos demonstrating how quick it is to use.

11. steogede

I quite like the keyboard

If it works anything like the blackberry pearl 8100 keyboard. The great thing about the query half keyboard is that is works very well with predictive text (for english at least), I find you get much fewer wrong suggestions than you do with a traditional numeric keypad - probably as much to do with the fact that it is a qwerty layout as it is due to the fact that there are fewer letters per key.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Hua must mean no in chinese.

I had a Huawei 3G "data card" while in Saudi Arabia and had nothing but trouble with it.

It ran dangerously hot, warping the SIM card on two occaisions, disconnected regularly when it overheated, and did not seem to be capable of staying connected for more than a couple hours at a time... Even with a comms tower within sight in a stationary location.

Huawei? No way.

13. noodle heimer

i have a pearl

and I find it to be a read-only device. Problem is, I do 60 wpm on a real keyboard, and don't read manuals. It's possible that it's a useful keyboard for those who are not used to going fast and/or who read manuals. I'm find with it as it is, though; the boss pays for it and he's not expecting me to reply from it, he's expecting me to know when gear sends me email.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like