back to article Channel 4 cans Celebrity Big Brother

Channel 4 has confirmed the UK's viewing public will not be subjected to another outing of human zoo Celebrity Big Brother - at least until 2009. The broadcaster has done the decent thing in the wake of the Shilpa Shetty racism kerfuffle and decided not to go ahead with next year's confinement of c-list social inadequates for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Matt

hopefully for good

now if they just can the other big brother i'll be able to watch TV again in the summer

2. Daniel Snowden

Thankyou!

It may be a temporary respite, but be thankful for what you've got (e.g. 1 year without micro-celebrity big brother)

3. Ralph B

What does this mean?

> Les Dennis [..] getting a mouthful of Jade Goody's spicy kebab.

Wha? Is this some sort of humorous euphemism, implying that Ms Goody is actually a Mr?

4. Michael Sheils

woohoo

Now if they promise to get rid of the other BB, as well as ITV all together I *may* buy a TV.

5. Steve

@Ralph B

I hate to be the one to break this to you (no, really, I really really do), but the less than savory Ms Goody famously (well, it was probably in Heat magazine) compared her vagina to said meaty snack.

6. Chris Morrison

New Big Brother race row

Surely Big Brother are sending out the wrong message here! Due to the sheer volume of articles about racist behaviour that, almost all even if totally unrelated, mention big brother, there isn't going to be a celebrity big brother.

This is where this post gets a little bizarre but bear with me.....

If we all become racists then racism will be more in the news leading to more mentions of the big brother incident. More mentions of the big brother incident will lead to less series's of big brother....

...that can only be a good thing. So, to conclude, basically channel 4 are encouraging racism by their statement that all this talk about racism is stopping big brother.

7. martin

Here's to hoping......

.......That Normal BB is next

8. Andrew

A Ms.

Kebab implies female, not male...

and i for one am over the moon that it wont be on, but kinda fecked off that the "Racism" caused it, i think it all got a bit over hyped,

hey ho

9. Steven

@ Steve

"Ms Goody famously (well, it was probably in Heat magazine) compared her vagina to said meaty snack."

A badly made one with the trimmings hanging out I would assume?

*shudder*

10. Richard

Gutted.....

...as there was a rumour that Paris Hilton was being signed up for this year. Remember she's just had a bit of practice by being locked up for a few days, too!

11. Les Matthew

@Ralph B

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=badly+packed+kebab

;)

12. jai

re: A Ms

i'm also disapointed that it too such a racist incident to take the show off the air. i would have thought that common sense would have prevailed and people would have realised that this is lowest common denominator tv - but evidently not

can we arrange for some horrifically taboo argument to occur also on the normal BB and get that banned forever?

13. JP

@Steven

Please. Stop.

I actually gagged at the thought...

Sorry,havetogotothebathroom...

14. Joe K

I believe him

I don't think it was anything to do with racism, just that no "celeb" of any kind would now go on such a career destroying show.

It used to be thought that it'd resurrect your career, no-one is falling for that anymore. Besides, they'd all rather be on Come Dancing, or whatever soft crap the BBC is desperate for Z-graders for.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Respite!

Woooooooooooooooo! This is almost a reason to turn the TV back on!

16. Daniel Ballado-Torres

Its the 'C' in CBB

The _original_ idea of BB was to see a dozen of lonely souls interact when locked in a confined area, while being watched 24/7. It was watching 'dudes like us', basically.

Put in Celebrities, and you just struck out the 'dudes like us' statement. The Mexican equivalent to CBB (Big Brother VIP) was basically the reason the whole thing went down in flames. Fortunately, it seems that Mexican TV has (as always) overexploited the "reality show" format that the whole genre is going down. Thank God for bad management...

17. Anarchy

badly packed kebab

I think in Ms Goody's case, the term "badly dropped kebab"* is probably more appropriate

* (c) me

18. Matt Horrocks

It's a load of crap

Just 30 seconds after turning on to channel 4 at 9:27pm on Friday was enough to get me contemplating suicide - or at least, killing everyone in the bloody BB house.

How can they think anyone with half a brain cell *wants* this sort of crap after 6 or however many series of it they've subjected us to. Should have been binned after the first series - shame the other channels all copied it with "I'm a celebrity*, get me out of here" on ITV. I can't remember what the BBC version was. At least we get a few months without the celebrity* version of it this time round.

*Term used loosely

19. andy rock

thank f***

now we just need them to ditch the main version as well. in my opinion, it is even worse because it's responsible for the fact that millions of idiots think 'being a celebrity' is a plausible career option.

This topic is closed for new posts.