back to article Dutch company augments mobile reality

Dutch developer SPRXMobile has created a browser that overlays local information on the camera view, augmenting reality with superimposed information provided by business partners, who pay for the privilege. Android handsets feature a digital compass, which can be used along with GPS to enhance the real world with additional …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Currency Log Jam ..... Too many Sticky Fingers in the Pie and Sweey Honey Pot, MeThinks.

"just waiting for the version that can show us the quality of beer available before entering the pub - a true application for billions of dollars of space hardware, and the very latest in mobile technology." .... You don't get a much bigger hit for your bucks than with Heineken ..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neoUi4poCXI

Sounds like money well spent, Bill Ray. Now Money for Spending will Energise the Currency System 42 Produce Future Powers........... for Wasted and Stolen and Unaccounted for in Banking Stores and Virtual Vaults does IT Deliver Nothing Worthwhile and Novel and Uniquely Immaculately Imaginative.

2. Lionel Baden 1

ahh

gotta love sci fi and what its doing for our future !!

ant wait till this is running smooth and will be displayed in a clear crystal monocle via a wireless connection that will keep my ears snug and warm

3. Graham Bartlett
    Boffin

Augmented reality - required reading

Anyone with even a passing interest in augmented-reality displays (and why they're not always a good idea) should read "Halting State" by Charles Stross. If you're interested in virtual worlds and you've not read "Snow Crash", people will rightly mock you. "Halting State" is equally essential reading for a view of what augmented-reality HUDs hooked up to mobile phones will do to the world.

Hell, never mind that. If you're even remotely interested in reading good fiction based on techy themes, you should be reading Charles Stross anyway, because he's one of the best futurist authors out there at the moment.

4. tony72
    Thumb Up

Cool

Not sure about the applications they showed in the video, but I can see lot's of really cool applications. Seeing as they are Dutch, perhaps they can add a red light district application, point your camera at a hooker's window and see what services she offers, or whether "she" has a penis, etc. No, I have no idea why that's the first application that sprang to mind, and I'll thank you not to speculate on it.

5. Ian Michael Gumby
    Thumb Up

Reality catching up to fiction?

Interesting in that the concept of overlaying virtual information on to a video/camera view image is becoming a reality.

Gibson's 'Virtual Light' had a set of 'glasses' to do that, and if you follow Anime, Eden of the East , also has a similar concept on their cell phones.

Its a very interesting concept and could have the potential of improving LBS applications.

6. Pot Head Pixie
    Thumb Up

Great idea

Find the best weed in the street !

7. cor
    Linux

Ermmmm....

Android anyone?

Does this already...

8. Clive Galway
    Thumb Up

Nice!

I have been holding off on upgrading my phone until HTC release a phone with a keyboard plus e-compass. I just don't understand why they didn't start putting them in earlier - GPS without e-compass is a pain to use whilst on foot.

9. Ian Michael Gumby
    Heart

@Tony72...

Er you must write for the Reg!

The problem with your idea is that you'd have to have some form of facial recognition to identify the hooker. Depending on the shift, the window worker changes. So maybe they place bar code placards in the windows to identify the hooker? (Since the Dutch regulate the industry and the hookers are supposed to be registered, they should be able to post something to identify them, right?)

Then your phone can get their bios and their latest blood tests for any sexual transmitted disease information, or if they're running a special and will offer an instant online coupon if you transact your business using your phone's EFT feature?

No, my minds not in the gutter like Tony72, but I just like to solve problems. He just made it sort of interesting and fun. :-)

10. Lost in a maze of twisty messages, all alike.

Cheers

>just waiting for the version that can show us the quality of beer available before entering the pub

It's called the Good Beer guide, and is almost certainly available in handily portable dead tree format from a licensed hostelry near you.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now, if they can do Layar...

...which shows the terrorists, I'm sure the Home Office would buy a few!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like