back to article Firefox update squashes 9 security bugs, 4 critical

Mozilla has released a new version of its Firefox browser that plugs nine security holes, four of which are rated "critical," the foundation's highest vulnerability level. Version 3.0.11 squashes a javascript chrome privilege escalation bug, which Mozilla said allows attackers to execute malware on the computers of end users. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Repo
    Joke

Windows 7 Hang Bug

Could they not also fix the above too?

It's really annoying to have to reset your laptop 2-3 times per day and this is a pretty well reported problem!

2. Darryl

Patch avalanche

Turned my home PC on today - 9 Windows updates, a Java update, Firefox, Acrobat... Sheesh

3. Ben Bradley
    Jobs Horns

FF Update

FF/Thunderbird updates are brilliant.

Nothing worse than a program prompting you for an update and then continuing to install a whole fresh version of the program. Even worse if you have to re-config settings etc.

Firefox is good :)

4. Greg J Preece

Thank God!

Apparently this update fixes that bloody right-click bug in Firefox, where you right click, and the browser plays Russian roulette to see what the outcome will be. Will you get a context menu? Will you get the extensions panel? Will the browser inexplicably crash? Who knows!

Most. Annoying. Bug. Ever.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

@Repo

Your running prerelease software and complaining it has problems.....

Shheeezzzz

6. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

re: Windows 7 Hang bug

This happens on Vista too. But I find that hitting ctl-alt-del and selecting cancel, get's it unblocked...

7. Nigel 11
    Thumb Up

Software update heaven

"As usual, the update will be pushed directly to Firefox users and requires only a simple restart of the browser to be installed".

And this browser remembers all the web pages you were browsing and re-opens them after you restart it. If you want it to, that is.

"If only all software updates were that easy"

Amen.

PS Free plug ... If you thought Firefox was one step away from perfection because the tabs were along the top rather than down the side ... get the Tab Kit plug-in.

8. Chrome

@Windows 7 Hang Bug

That's odd; I've been running the 7 RC on my laptop since its release (I ran the 7 Beta but there were issues with the nVidia driver for my Vaio) and I've had no issues with FF hanging at all

9. Roger Jenkins
    Stop

Push

I can see the attraction and convenience of 'pushing' an update out to users. However, I am on a dial up connection at 46kbs (no I don't have an ADSL option at my location), if Mozilla 'push' and Microsoft 'push' and Uncle Tom Cobley and all 'push', I get pushed off the internet.

10. Greg J Preece

@Ben Bradley

Don't be facetious. Firefox as a whole isn't a massive download, and you know full well that profile folders are separate, so upgrading almost never affects your settings. I share the same Firefox profile folder across different operating systems, never mind different versions. Works just fine.

11. Number6

AOL?

Anyone remember the AOL update procedure? You'd sign off because you needed to turn off the computer, get off-line or whatever, and it would decide to update itself at that point, whether it was convenient or not. Probably less of an issue to US users with free local phone calls, but very annoying over here if it was 7:59am and peak rate about to kick in.

12. J 3
    Paris Hilton

@Greg J Preece

Methinks you completely misunderstood Ben Bradley's post... Or did I do that?

13. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like