back to article Last.fm co-founders pack up record boxes

The co-founders of Last.fm have quit the CBS-owned company. CEO Felix Miller, COO Martin Stiksel and CIO Richard Jones confirmed they were leaving in a blog post yesterday. The trio will stay on as consultants at the firm until September. CBS Interactive’s boss Quincy Smith said Miller, Stiksel and Jones would hang around to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. mafro
    Pirate

Arrington

Not the first time Mr Arrington has made something up (eh Ted?)..

Good tech reporting (El Reg being the first stop, of course):

http://arstechnica.com/media/news/2009/02/riaa-denies-rumors-that-lastfm-turned-over-data.ars

Read "Example One: 'TechCrunch Are Full Of Shit'"

http://al3x.net/2009/03/03/towards-better-technology-journalism.html

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I stopped using it

I stopped using it when the RIAA story appeared. I was always surprised that people would publish their listening habits online.

I don't like the fact that because something isn't available to buy that you're instantly a pirate. Promo CDs get sent out all the time ahead of release. I've even bought CDs that weren't released yet, release dates are meaningless.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

And the last entry on their playlists is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gu6EnpsDBc

4. Grease Monkey Silver badge

WMD?

“As far as I can tell, the author of this article got a 'tip' from one person and decided to make a story out of it.”

And what's the problem with that. We went to war on the evidence of one man.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I don't get it.

I don't use it and can't really understand why anyone does. It's just a massive marketing tool. Where is the actual functionality that I want that should hook me to their service? Ultimately it is designed around recommendations, which it does in various ways, which would be fine if it provided some unique or valuable functionality other than this.

Hey! Let's all sign up to a big database that monitors our music tastes and listening habits! That way, we can all be told what we should be listening to by our record label overlords! Yeah! It'll be great! We'll never have to think for ourselves again!

As we continue to allow ourselves to be profiled based on our search, music, tv, movie, gaming, and other tastes and habits we are slowly killing off the field of entertainment journalism. Trend setters will go away, and we'll find ourselves locked on to a set of rails where we only ever see more of the same because there is nobody to suggest otherwise.

Mark my words...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ I don't get it.

It's fun.

The recommendations are useful, but ultimatly it's just kind of neat for me to know my music listening history. The radio feature is actually pretty useful too. If you get a big enough library you can turn on your radio, or a friend's radio, or whatever, and you'll get a good selection of music.

It's about the only service I use that goes against my paranoid streak. I was a bigger fan before CBS came along, though...

This topic is closed for new posts.