back to article Windows 7 boss predicts 'modest' initial shipments

A Microsoft wonk has admitted that PC vendors are unlikely to see a huge rise in shipments when Windows 7 hits the shelves on 22 October. Bill Veghte, who is Redmond's senior veep of the company's Windows biz, made the comment at the UBS Global Technology and Services conference yesterday. He said it was quite normal when …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. WinHatter
    Happy

Startling piece of news

init ???

Well if the "drag & drop" on a shell window is not re-enabled in 7 I'll cease to use Windows when XP is no longer supported by the latest motherboards.

2. Alexis Vallance

Snow Leopard

Surely if Vista Attempt 2 is more than $29, it will be too expensive?

3. Tom

Definitely suspicious

“In the short run, these [Windows] product releases impact PC growth rates very, very modestly,”

Not the sort of thing one expects to hear from MS. Especially as they normally kill the OS 2 full versions back. Since that would be XP, and the uptake for Vista has been modest (being generous), one would expect the sales for Windows 7 to be brisk as users replace systems that are no longer supported. Granted the economy is a bit soft at the moment, but still.

Something fishy is definitely going on.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Leopard Attempt 2

Is only that cheap because it has no selling features and only works for a percentage of Mac users.

5. jim
    Thumb Down

don't buy hype

Something I've learned in 25 years in the tech business (I hear the groans): never buy any product based on claims of compatibiility with something that isn't available yet. The promised compatibility never, evern materialize - you always end up with some lousy second-rate kludge.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

To be fair...

Once non-tech folk get hold of it and the word gets out that 7 is actually a very decent OS, Vista users will jump ship straight away and XP mode should be enough to shift hardest of XP lovers.

7. Michael C

Service packs are free!

Win 7 being just a revamp of vista (same kernel, new wiz-bangs), is just a "plus pack" or enhanced service pack, and it should be free to anyone who was sadled with buying Vista, any version.

Vista was so poorly done itself, it's prices should drop across the board su that Ultimate comes into the $129-149 range. Anyone who bought premium of Vista should get 7 ultimate for like $29 (equivalent to Snow Leapord upgrade, even though it's a poor comparrison). Upgrades from XP should not be over $99.

I run Vista EE 64 at home on one machine. I've gotten used to it's quirks and generally I appreciate it (especially it's backup functions) more than XP. However, short of DX10 support, it really has made no difference to me other than look and feel xs the XP box sitting next to it.

Will I upgrade to 7? Well, it will come in my action pack quarterly update for free, so I'l probably at least deploy it in a VM for a while and play with it, and if I can inline upgrade without issues I'll move it up to Ultimate, but its not on my to-do list... My wife's XP laptop, which btw is 64bit dual core, dedicated graphics, and 4GB of RAM, failed the compatability check even for Vista, so I'm betting 7 won't run on it...

Upgrading my 2 macs to 10.6 will happen the day it's out. If you think doubling performance for $29 isn't worth it for a "percentage of mac users" you need to go take some more statistics classes... Exchange support without needing to buy Office? Done. Quicktime X? Done. 6GB less disk space and faster boot times? Done. Overhauled iChat with both higher def AND lower bandwidth at the same time? Done. An AI for text selection in preview and PDFs? FINALLY! Expose in dock? NICE! Smarter data detection and correlation in e-mail, chat, and other sources? nice. Faster backup, quicker wake/sleep, faster file transfer, intelligent thread handling, fully multi-core-aware OS, plug-in memory isolation, all new 64 bit native code for over 1000 subprograms and apps, using the GPU for more than graphics being native to the entire OS, these may not mean much to users, but they'll NOTICE the difference. Win 7 is improving some aesthetics and makes things simpler to users while making them more complicated in the back end and changes everythgin the user knows. Snow Leapord provides significant real improvement, stability, anf functionality, not just a GUI overhaul...

Oh, XP support ends April 8th 2014... Mainstream support ended in April this year (may have been extended) but that just means you need to pay for support calls, which 9 out of 10 you ended up paying for anyway. Patches will still be free for 4 more years and it will be continually supported by microsoft, just no new "featuers" will be added, only fixes and updates.

8. garetht t

PR

Makes sense they'd say that. If shipments *are* slow, they can say "Yup, told you so." If sales are anything better than slow they can be "Surprised at the great response consumers are showing to the fantastic new Windows 7."

9. Robert Moore
    Gates Horns

@Alexis Vallance

Of course it will be more than $29. And don't call me Shirley!

10. jim
    Thumb Down

not gonna happen

Matt Ashworth: That won't happen, not at $100 for an upgrade. There might be significant interest at $25.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

upgrade from XP

Will XP be considered good for a license upgrade? I know MS has already announced that upgrades from XP will not be allowed in the Windows 7 software installation so I am wondering what they will do commercially...

12. Pierre

"best", "better" and "good"?

I somehow doubt these adjectives will really apply. A certain film title springs to mind instead...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@ Pierre - "best", "better" and "good".

You owe me a new monitor. :-)

Anyway, is there a link somewhere showing what each version will or will not include? What will the differences be?

14. Henry Wertz Gold badge

Slow sales?...

I'm not a Windows fan, but I expect rather swift sales -- even people that know NOTHING about computers tell me they know to avoid Vista, and both some of them AND people in the know (that are not already using Macs or Ubuntu) are ITCHING for Windows 7 to come out.

15. Tone

@Michael C

Do you really think this upgrade is going to double your macs performance?

16. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re:"XP mode should be enough to shift hardest of XP lovers"

Nice laugh I had there.

I have full XP mode right now, why on Earth should I want to shell out major cash for a new OS and use it to mimic what is already working fine ?

I didn't want Vista, so nothing that Vista has interests me (no, DX10 is not a requirement). Win 7 being just a Vista service pack, ergo it means that it has nothing more to interest me either.

I'll stay in XP mode for a while longer, I think.

17. Lindsay Silver badge

Apple vs Microsoft pricing

Microsoft has to gouge on its software because it has nothing else. Apple doesn't need to gouge on its software because it's already done so on the hardware.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Bloody XP!

"And until they improve the command.com, I will be sticking with DOS 3.1, you can keep your DOS 3.3!!!"

Give it up already please. XP has been asked if it wants to go into a home, the bags are packed, the cat has been, ahem, 'found a new home' and the taxi is waiting to take it to Sunnyvale Retirement home, OK? Let it go already!

Windows 7 is a killer O/S, and I say that as an OSX/Linux user! Win7 is actually a bloody good O/S, I will not be using it obviously, but MS have pulled their socks up and credit where it's due.

19. Flybert

What is the matter ?

sorry , only been a regular Windows user since Win95 OSR2 on FAT32 ... however ...

I've never found a reason to call MS for support, their knowledge base is ok for troubleshooting ... many 3rd party sites and forums provide great *support* for WinXP ..

So why should I care about Vista or Win7 as long as there will be security patches till 2014 for XP ? perhaps some *critical* software I need/want won't be compatable with WinXP by 2012, but more likely this won't happen till 2014 either ..

building a new machine soon .. but it will have WinXP Pro .. I'll wait on Win7 for at least a year so all you millions of paying beta testers can sort things out .. ok ?

20. NickGriffin

Wonk?

Sounds like a new racial slur

21. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Yet More Code --- That'll fix it alright

How many lines were added to Vista to make WIndows 7? Sometimes I wonder how much code in WIndows itself is even executed anymore..........................................

22. rustychuck

Unfair!

Microsoft are out there to make money....why should they ship other browsers with their software?!!! It's yet again political correctness gone mad! Apple are allowed to ship Safari, Itunes and Quicktime with their OS so why is it different for Microsoft?? It's just that the competition is too crap to put up a fight!!

23. macphone

Who cares

It should be Microsoft's business what they put into Windows and no one elses, it is their product.

24. N2

good, better, best...

At doing what?

Starter = good at driving you mad

Premium = better at driving you mad

Professional = best at driving you mad

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like