back to article Western Digital slips todger to horrified Brit

We're not quite sure what to make of this particular packaging outrage, but what it's lacking on the excess cardboard front, it more than makes up for it in the trouser department. Warwick Uni's Jaroslaw Zachwieja describes himself as "surprised" to discover that, on unpacking his shiny new Western Digital "1TB MyBook …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

::heh::

It's been a long weekend ... That was a good giggle before bed :-)

Ta.

2. Mothballs
    Coat

You call that hardware?

Willy get a replacement?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Wry Smile

Ahh, schooldays.

4. Peter Gordon
    Coat

So....

is it a hard drive or a floppy?

5. Darren Coleman
    Paris Hilton

Much ado about nothing

People are always complaining! He got a complimentary doodle for *free* and the guy moans about it. What is the World coming to?

Paris cos, well, there's a c**k involved.

6. Jason Togneri
    Alert

@ Darren Coleman

No, he didn't get the doodle for free. He got it - and some extra USB cables - in place of a power brick. Not sure if it's a fair exchange; I'm sure I'd rather have power for my shiny new tech toy. The doodle *and* the PSU, now, that might have been worthwhile.

7. Ian Ferguson
    Happy

Brilliant

A good thing that it was sent to a British customer... if it had arrived on an American's doorstep, there'd be lawsuits flying left right and centre.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If this is..

If basic line drawings of cocks are "Not Safe For Work" we live in a sad, sad world indeed.

9. Dave Stark
    Thumb Up

CDC

Crudely drawn cock. Always funny.

10. Ricky H
    Boffin

your mum...

turns my floppy into a hard drive

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm waiting for someone

to subtract the cost of 5 USB cables from the cost of a PSU and tell us exactly what one doodle of a penis is worth. I need to know how many drawings to send WD when I pay for my next hard drive.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

@Darren Coleman

Surely that should have been Jobs if there's a cock involved?

How about them apples?!

13. Darren Coleman

@Jason Togneri

Well spotted, I completely missed that.

In that case a doodle is a poor subtitute for a power supply. :(

14. Chris

Amatures

A proper CDC should only have three pubes per ball - no more, no less.

15. regadpellagru
    Paris Hilton

what aout on the HD itself ?

Did the guy check what was on the HD ? Maybe this could be _really_ NSFW.

PS: yes, El Reg is becoming worryingly abusive on the NSFW label.

Paris icon, since this is about sex.

16. Iain Purdie

Ah, student days

I did many packing jobs when I was a stoodent all those years ago. Sabotaging one in twenty boxes / envelopes going out was pretty much standard by the third day. If anyone out there got a circular from the N&P with "Help, I'm a prisoner in an envelope-stuffing factory" written across the top, that was me :)

17. Rob
    Go

@Iain Purdie

LOL, thankyou for brightening my day a number of years ago, I can't remember if it was a N&P though.

18. TeeCee Gold badge
    Joke

Re: So....

Ah, the world's storage problems solved.

A new storage device with a 1.44Mb capacity that can be expanded to 1Tb just by thinking dirty.

Actually I reckon this is already in use in Government IT. This would neatly explain why whenever Jaqui Smith is around they lose all their data.

19. Wize

@regadpellagru

Very true, I've probably not opened stories due to NSFW and probably no worse than this.

Maybe we need subcategories, like "slightly NSFW" and "F**king NSFW"

20. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Do it backwards

For some time now I've been using pre-paid/freepost envelopes to send nice messages, gifts, or random junk to companies and organisations around the UK. So if you work at O2 in Normanton and got a "How things work" book for Christmas, I hope you enjoyed it! Similarly, I hope the Halifax liked the collection of plastic envelope windows I sent them.

21. Alistair

Cactus with a hard hat

At least I think that's what it is.

I recognize the style, I think the artist almost certainly went to my school.

22. Matt D
    Alert

Return to sender.

In response to the people who have mentioned receiving or sending random or annoying things in the post, I have a good one for you.

I used to run the post room for a large regional brewery a few years back. This brewery used to employ a mailing house to regularly send out huge advertising mailshots for its hotel wing. Many of these frequently come back, having been sent to the wrong address, or to people who had moved away, or even died. When they came back, we had to send them upstairs to the relevant department to have the details removed from the database, but since this was considered a low-priority job, it would often be forgotten by the people who were in charge of it. As a result, we would often get mail returned with messages scrawled on the envelopes by people at the effected address to the effect that this was the fifth, tenth or even twentieth piece of mail they had returned, and could we please take them off of the database.

One person had a great wrinkle on this, however. After returning ten pieces of mail for someone who had moved away years ago, they took the letter and put it in an envelope with the brewery's return address on it, but no postage, so we had to pay for it. And then, just to make sure we got the message, they put a roof slate in, along with a note stating that the next time they got a letter for this person, they would return it with two roof slates.

Their address got removed from the database pretty quickly after we delivered the slate and letter upstairs on a silver tray...

23. steogede

Re: Do it backwards

>> For some time now I've been using pre-paid/freepost envelopes to send nice messages, gifts, or random junk to companies and organisations around the UK.

I frequently get annoyed by 'Domain Registry of America' letters (and other such letters), which are mocked up to look like an invoice. Presumably they hope that will land on the desk of some unknowing finance goon who'll just pay it thinking it is valid, even though it says, in tiny writing, "this is not an invoice". Invariably they will include an addressed, non-postage paid envelope.

I'm sure I can't be the only one who can't resist placing the return slip and a cheque sized piece of paper (with the wording "this is not a cheque" written on it) in the envelope and returning without a stamp - so that they have the choice of paying the postage and fine, or possibly missing out on a cheque.

24. Wayne
    Alert

Missing postage

I agree it is fun in premise, but isn't sending unstamped mail in this fashion mail fraud and a federal offense?

25. Nexox Enigma

Could have been worse...

Could have had a bobcat in there.

http://www.xkcd.com/325/

26. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Return postage

I make it a policy that anything I receive that contains a freepost return address, or a return card or similar I always post it back to them... they then have to pay the postage for it.

I'm often tempted to put in an invoice for my time in opening, assessing and returning said mail, but I figure that would be too traceable.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Wayne

Only if you get caught.

28. Annonymous Howard
    Coat

wow...

I wonder if WD will apologise for the cockup...

Mines the one with the power brick in the pocket.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

check the back of the evnvelope

for a bar code that uniquely identifies the envelope and tracks it to the party to whom the original solicitation was addressed.

Before they did that I stuffed my share of unwanted offers and bulk into an envelope or two.

Now I am tempted to cut the bar code out and send away, but then there are microdot printers...

30. James O'Brien
    Joke

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*deep breath*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*another breath*

Well I guess someone got alittle snippy with the phone techs. Would love to see the ticket notes for that and the call recording.

Tech: Sir, please relax and I will make sure you get a replacement ASAP.

Customer: #*((&@^@_ WD &$#(*&^ bloody wankers fix my *^*&%^$%* drive right the *(&^%** instant and make sure its a *(^$%*() rock solid drive this &*%$#$#) time and also make sure I get my &*%$$# (*^&^$$&* *(&%^$$#O() *&%$$#( USB cable this time you (*^$()$%#!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

Tech: Certainly cur. *click click click* *giggle*

31. Phil E. Drifter
    Thumb Up

pretty obvious

I think it's safe to say that some employee from the company he ordered from stole the hardware that shoulda been sent to him, but for the insulting note that was sent, I hope the perp gets caught and fired.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

wait, i think i can see jesus in there

he appears everywhere else, doesn't he ?!

33. max allan
    Happy

On the junk mail topic...

I like to send back my junk mail in the prepaid envelopes. I try to make sure to fold it so that it's thicker than the post offices cheap letter rate. If you take all the stuff they send you and the original envelope, you can normally fold it into quarters and make quite a bulge.

I don't know if the PO bother totting up these extras or not. Roof slates certainly sound like a good idea, but I doubt they'd fit in the prepaid envelope.

I do normally have the kindness to write "NO THANKS" across the application form in black marker pen. Just so they realise that I don't actually want a new credit card/whatever when they've opened it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like