back to article Core i7 bumped to 3.33GHz

Intel has speed-bumped its top-of-the-line Core i7 Extreme Edition processor, increasing its lead as the fastest desktop chip that the company has ever offered. The new 45nm Core i7 975, based on the company's Nehalem architecture, clocks in at 3.33GHz. It includes 8MB of L3 Smart Cache running at its four cores' clock speed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Core i7

This whole Core i7 thing has been such a farce. So many people have adopted it only to be told it's more of a workstation chip. Then they announced the i5 on a different socket and yadda yadda yadda.

Good news for consumers: AMD releases £80 wonder chip. Faulty Quad cores with 2 cores disabled sold as a Dual core 3ghz chip. Awesome power for such a cut down price with the added bonus of the chance of those 2 disabled cores actually being functioning. Cheapest Quad core you could ever get. ;)

2. Si
    Unhappy

Why is i7 so #!*%ing expensive?

Is it because AMD don't have anything capable of competing so Intel can charge the earth and get away with it? Even buying low-end components it looks like it would cost at least £400 for just the CPU, mobo and RAM. :(

3. Larry Caporale
    Thumb Up

Intel Core i7 975 Extreme Edition in a Laptop!!

I think it is fantastic that we can get this CPU in a Laptop!! Getting mine at:

http://www.lpc-digital.com/store/3302695/product/cl-221-3

4. R.E.H.

This title would be a hyperlink if it were allowed

With all of the hyperlinks in this article, I figured the reg signed up for some sort of contextual link ad company or something (Kontera and friends).

Seriously, we know how to use a search engine, I don't need every second word to be blue so I can be linked to an explanation. This is an IT website.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

screw the hardware companies!

When my PC got too old and sluggish for Vista, I installed Linux. Its like I got myself a new computer, with all the extra speed and KDE 4.3 bling.

RIP M$.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@ R.E.H.

It's almost like reading Computer Weekly! :-D

I so used to love it when they'd have things like "RAM (Read Only Memory)"...

7. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Joke

@AC

What does Read Only mean?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Larry Caporale

The i7 laptop you linked to sounds fantastic, especially for RSI-afflicted schmegeggies like me who need voice software generally to use computers, and suffer from too-slow processors etc, but, how much does that beast weigh? Does it come with its own sack-truck? The heat I presume it generates makes me feel a bit scared at the thought of actually putting it on my lap...

9. Matthew
    Thumb Down

eh..

I find it's always to buy whatever is 2nd best as the cost/value is usually far more acceptable than buying the best

10. Chris C

i7

@AC at 23:22 -- Looking at the picture of the underside of that laptop, you couldn't put it on your lap without covering at least one or two of the laptop's four fans. Tons of heat, and lots of noise. Of course, I'd rather have the noise than have the notebook maker use my hard drive as a heat sink. Yes, HP actually did this -- on my Pavilion dv9260nr, the primary hard drive (it has two bays) is used as the heat sink for the video card (NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 with 256MB discrete memory). The end result is that with 24C ambient temp, the CPU is 25C, the GPU is 56C, the primary HDD is 55C, and the secondary HDD is 33C.

As for the i7 chip itself, I have a feeling it won't be a big seller in any form. Simply put, it consumes way too much power (130W TDP). You can get a Core 2 Duo at 65W at the same clock speed. Yes, the Core 2 Duo is only 2 cores instead of 4, but it's also MUCH less expensive. In other words, the i7 is overpriced, in terms of cash at time of purchase and in terms of power used.

11. Lionel Baden

@1st AC poster

what do you mean by your second paragraph

Im not being sarcastic

12. Brian Whittle
    Thumb Down

too much heat ?

I thought intel where going away from the high power hot running chips. Is not the point of having more than one core being able to run at lower speeds to keep the heat down.

The laptop o the link is just stupid it will be like computing with a vacuum cleaner with a screen attached. the heat that will throw out must be unbearable.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like