back to article Man accused of arranging wife's rape on Craigslist

A North Carolina man is accused of arranging to have his wife raped through the personal ads section of Craigslist. The victim, whose name has not been released, called 911 emergency services early Sunday morning and reported a knife-wielding assailant had sexually assaulted her in the bedroom of her Kannapolis home. Police …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous John
    Unhappy

Makes you wonder about the Craigslist categories.

"Rapists seeking victims"?

2. D Tonhofer Silver badge
    Unhappy

Amazing events from all over the world...

...brought by El Reg.

I'm waiting for the vidya stream to show up on one of the 'chans.

3. system

Not aware?

"police are currently not sure if the man was aware the sexual assault was not a consensual act"

Given that he had no consent from his victim, it's hard to see how he could not be aware that it was non-consensual.

4. David Webb

Sick

There really are some sick people on this planet.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Re: Makes you wonder about the Craigslist categories.

@Anonymous John 20:43 GMT: "Rapists seeking victims"?

Actually, yes. Not quite using these words, but there is an "underground" playground where one of the partners (either gender) likes to be "forced" into sex. It's called Rape Fantasy, and it is more prevalent than you think (not really widespread, but it does occur more than most people imagine).

And I speak from experience. For about a year I had a girlfriend who flat-out told me that I could do anything I wanted to her, so long as I forced her into doing it (and then gave me a "safeword" in case there was something she *really* didn't want to do). It was... interesting, but as it turned out, not my cup of tea - I got dumped after ~11 months because I wasn't being "rough enough" to "make it real".

Anonymous, for obvious reasons in this society.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re: Not aware?

Not so far fetched. Rape fantasies are surprisingly common and people have been known to indulge by arranging a pretend rape. You generally aren't going to hear about it unless it goes wrong of course. For all we know he could have been made to believe she was the one he had been in contact with online.

Never the less, if he was duped, he showed an extreme lack of good sense by not investigating more carefully. Hypothetically, if I was hired to pretend-rape somebody, I would insist on meeting the "victim" before hand to avoid just this kind of problem, as well as mistaken identity.

7. Burch

Nearly sure

this was used in an episode of The Bill a year or so ago

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Adam Silver badge

Rape fantasies

Academic surveys over the last 30 years suggest 30% to 60% of women have rape fantasies, although the definition of rape varies.

10. Stuart Van Onselen
    Flame

Torture the torturer

My initial reaction to stories like this is to wish all sorts of horrid retribution on the perpetrator, to make him suffer as much as the victim did. But then I take a breath and remember that what holds society together is justice, not vengeance. This man shouldn't (and won't) be tortured, he should simply be removed from society like a cancer-cell is removed from the body, for the greater good.

Dump him in solitary for the rest of his life so that he can't hurt anyone again.

What, you say that living in solitary confinement for years or even decades is itself torture? Nonsense, no-one laid a hand on him! <evil, self-satisfied grin>

11. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Re: Not aware?

Yes. Several years ago there was even a case where a man was invited by his Internet girlfriend to come to her apartment for the first time and enact their rape fantasy as though he were a stranger. But he somehow got the wrong apartment. I bet that was a chore to explain to the police.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

same here

my partner likes me to be overpowering in the bedroom

not really me but i make a effort

there is also the story of this woman who was being raped and somebody called police and they broke oppen the back of the Van and the lady got so pissed screaming it had taken 2 months to organise the rape scene

AC = obvious

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Weird sick people.

obviously the husband got off on it. Sick mofo.

14. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: @The other AC

I don't have a problem with that, AC (and yes I can see who you are, although I doubt I could find where you live or anything). I think people should be allowed to do whatever the hell they want as long as there's consent and understanding that safewords are sacred and all that. The sad thing is that people who do this sort of thing using the net (I seem to recall one or two similar cases) will try to use that as a get-out - "but she said that's what she wanted", etc.

It's horrible for the men who think they're just having a sexual adventure and end up committing actual rape, although if they couldn't sense there was something wrong they probably ought not to be participating in extreme stuff - but then this is why anyone getting into that sort of thing needs to do serious boring homework first and meet up with the people who placed the ad. It's not worth the risks.

15. Stuart Van Onselen
    Thumb Down

Rape play

"lady got so pissed screaming it had taken 2 months to organise the rape scene"

My heart bleeds for her. Not!

There are serious and obvious risks involved in realistically enacting a violation of the law. It is the duty of the police and the public to react to any perceived crime. Anyone with an IQ in double-digits or more could have foreseen this.

This dim-wit will probably end up "simulating" some other outré and dangerous act soon, again without properly assessing and preparing for any dangerous consequences thereof, and get herself a Darwin Award in the process.

16. Peyton
    Unhappy

in particular

"knife-wielding" Can't speak from experience so I may be wrong, but it seems like folks could have their fun without the dangerous weapons... that's seems to be crossing the line a bit - *especially* if the encounter is "anonymous".

What a way to learn that your husband is a completely worthless excuse for a human being...

17. David
    Unhappy

and in similar news

Can't remember how it came about but I did an innocent keyword search on Google and was intrigued by a link, which I followed and it took me to some site with a whole scene going on with rape video games. Sick, I thought.

18. Anonymous John

@ Re: Makes you wonder about the Craigslist categories.

Accepted, but the article refers to Craiglist. Hardly an "underground" playground

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Alleged?

Seeing as nobody's been convicted yet, shouldn't the word "alleged" feature a few times in this report?

Yes, rape games can be fun, but I suspect there are more women into that sort of thing than men.

Perhaps in this case the woman is framing the husband as revenge for refusing to play games with her, or perhaps she's acting out a particularly perverse and complex fantasy that involves her husband going to prison for a crime he didn't commit ...

20. JC
    Alert

Quality Police Work?

The police aren't releasing the victim's name to conceal her identity, BUT they have released her husband's name. That's a stroke of genius, that's what it is.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The difference with a woman's rape FANTASY....

...is that she is really still in control. At least in the ones in my head - the things that happen to me when I am off on such an imaginary trip are what I want to happen and no more. The real thing would be VERY different and very not fun.

As much as it is fun to slag off Second Life et. al., particularly the sex-play aspect, it is an IDEAL place for acting out such things. You can have a chat channel for out-of-roleplay communications with the other participant(s) and if you really find you don't like it, you just teleport away or log off.

This topic is closed for new posts.