back to article How will sir pay? Facebook credits, that'll do nicely

Facebook has launched an internal payment system using virtual currency to get its members to pay for various virtual things on the site. Facebook Credits are 10 for a dollar and can be exchanged for various virtual gifts which you can send to your virtual mates. Credit can be topped up using American Express, Mastercard and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Old news?

Havnt they been doing this for a while now?

There ar elots of things on Valentines and Birthday etc you can send for a payment of credits which you have to buy

2. Karim Bourouba

Would gladly pay

if it meant I were no longer plagued with "What sort of mother will you make" tests.

3. Mat
    Flame

Totally fscking ludicrous!

This, people, is why SPAM works; and also why we will never be rid of it!

4. Winkypop Silver badge
    Stop

Pay? Facebook?

Oh please enough of these irresponsible japes!

I almost spilled my cheesy puffs!!

5. Tom

What the hell?

This has been running for around 2 years, non?

6. Craig
    Thumb Down

Is this article for real?

They've had this for years!

7. Ed Blackshaw Silver badge

Meh

Something about a fool and his money?

8. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Thumb Up

SIMPSONS!!!!!

Homer changes ALL his US money to Itchy and Scratchy Dollars at the Itchy and Scratchy Land amusement park entrance, gets inside and all the vendors have signs up saying "NO ITCHY AND SCRATCHY DOLLARS ACCEPTED!".

LOL!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

ffs

Does this mean I will get lots of friend requests from idiots trying to sell me things?

Stop the bus! I wanted off before but I definitely want off now!

10. Matthew Smith
    Thumb Up

Silly gifts

Facebook used to allow users to send unique gifts for a dollar, but since the advent of apps, then that went out the window. There are tutorials to write apps that allow users to send fluffy kittens for free.

However, many apps allow the users to buy stuff (even if just a fluffy kitten _with a bowtie_). If Facebook create their own internal currency for this purpose there will be legs in the idea.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

A title is required...NOT

In SSSR the Facebook pays you!

Mine's the one with a bottle of Stolichnaya vodka in the pocket...

12. Steve
    Stop

When will people learn?

Facebook aint yours, it's theirs, if they want to charge you then they will, and if you think collective defiance will keep it free, think again, people are stupid enough to pay, yes even your friends...

As for the currency, how is this different to the selling of virtual presents that already goes on?

13. Dave Webb
    Paris Hilton

Real gifts only please

Any anybody buys me a virtual gift on FaceBook for my birthday they're getting a punch in the face

14. Bernie

fail

that is all.

15. Martin Silver badge
    Linux

@Silly gifts

>There are tutorials to write apps that allow users to send fluffy kittens for free.

Don't they get stuck in the tubes?

It would be fun though - you could have a bot network sending millions of kittens to someone.

Imagine millions of kittens being delivered to parliament, certainly beats the gov.uk e-petitions.

(cos there isn't a kitten icon)

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Amazing

Something that actually out-sads sadville. And people really care about this shit? Suddenly those watching "Britains got talent" have serious competition in the 'get a life' stakes.

I'm fairly sure the web was made for better things.

17. John Tserkezis

Could you help out a Forty-Niner?

Will only take real currency, not pretend like Facebook or Itchy and Scratchy money.

18. Chris King

@Dave Webb

Gifts is the one Facebook app you can't get rid of. All of the gifts were a dollar each when I last looked, but some were supposedly more "rare" than others.

That's right, certain pieces of clipart (and let's face it, that's all that the Gifts app dishes out) were supposedly in short supply.

People fall for this nonsense all the time - usually the same people that get paranoid about their profile then run every App in existence, spreading their personal data far beyond Facebook.

A few years ago, I came to the conclusion that logging into a web site knocked 50 points off your IQ, and you lost another 30 points if the word "FREE" appeared anywhere on it. I still haven't worked out how many points you lose for clicking the "Allow" button on a Facebook App.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like