back to article Microsoft buys gene-splicing software unit

Microsoft is wading deeper into the health care industry today, announcing intentions to acquire Rosetta Biosoftware, a unit of Merck & Co. that makes software for analyzing genomes and conducting clinical studies. Redmond intends to roll Rosetta's assets into the health industry research management software platform it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Richard Cartledge
    Thumb Down

Rather sinister

As Billy boy is reported to be a member of the <strike>Genocide</strike>Good Club and the suspected zionist illuminati Gates Foundation.

2. Robert Ramsay
    Joke

I for one...

...welcome our new gene-splicing, genetic-engineering Microsoft overlords...

"No! Don't save there! Happy childhood memories!"

3. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

BSOD

....expected, no doubt.

4. James Loughner
    Gates Horns

Ouch

Why does the thought of MS programming genes send a chill up my spine.

I can see it now when the blue screen of death really means it.....

5. skeptical i

Frankenfood XP?

How long until Monsanto gets into the game to muck up the food supply even faster and more efficiently?

6. sleepy

proteomics

I'm no expert, but you can do better than "fiddlin with genes". Can I recommend "the cartoon guide to genetics"?

Protein = molecule made by stringing together amino acids.

Each gene encodes for a protein.

Genomics - the study of all the genes that occur in organisms.

Proteomics - the study of all the resulting proteins.

7. John Smith Gold badge
    Joke

WE are Microsoft

All your genes belong to us.

8. pctechxp
    Stop

VERY bad idea

FFS will the US government do something useful for once and block this

I mean the company took a retrograde step in releasing the steaming pile that is vista, do we really want them designing tools to fiddle with people's genes?

I bet this won't get through the mod process as MS is probably a major advertising spender.

9. Stephen Channell
    Joke

'Fatal Exception Errors' is soo old passé

Doctor, doctor, DOCTOR.. my server has fallen over!

\> where is it?

HE is right in front of me!

\> is there a blue screen?

Yeeesss.. near the bar!

\> is there a reason code?

IF there was a reason code, I wouldn’t NEED YOU!

\> OK, OK, has it produced a dump?

whether HE’s shat himself is completely irrelevant!.. HE’s fallen over, and I need help!

\> has its licence been activated?

HE doesn’t NEED a licence, servers DON’T need licences, HE worked from day one!

\> well, you all seem to be infected with some open source.. it’s like cancer you know!

WHAT kind of health system are you trying to run.. a man might die.. and all you’re just interested in is money!

\> Microsoft’s Health System is very good value, with round the clock support!

I JUST NEED A DOCTOR!!!!! .. [click]

10. Chris
    Boffin

That's all we need!

It's bad enough trying to educate the bench scientists that using GUI apps gives you *an* answer just not necessarily *the* answer, but getting MS on board with their marketing machine is going to be disaster with a whole swathe of flawed results and conclusions. In order to get meaningful results you need to understand what the software is doing, but with MS it's going to be nothing more informative than a black box.

I do this full-time and it's all too common to have collaborators (not in the Nazi sense) come to you with data where there is some flaw in the experimental design or application. A nice shiny GUI will not be able to sort the wheat from the chaff in these instances and will lead scientists to incorrect conclusions.

Your everyday scientist cannot cope anymore with the shear volume of data these 'omic analyses are generating these days.

It is a major growth area and I can see why MS are wanting to get into it, but this has the potential to end really badly.... :(

BTW @sleepy each gene often produces multiple proteins and some don't produce any proteins at all, but are still have a function (e.g. ribosomal RNA). The one gene = one protein dogma is no longer true.

11. Graham Marsden
    Coat

I'm a PC...

I'm a PC...

I'm a PC...

I'm a PC...

I'm a PC...

I'm a PC...

I'm a PC...

I'm a PC...

I'm a PC...

Err, anyone know how to switch this cloning machine off??

12. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

All YOUR GENES BELONG TO US

oh goody, Windows 3000 the ultimate OS,

for the next generation of AI,

comes with Active DRM enforcement (a BFG3000) to deal with them pesky squishys that simply wont lay down and die.

Wheres JC when you need him.....

13. Martin Lyne
    Stop

Re: Plant genes

You realise that everytime a farmer breeds plants to gain a specific trait he is taking it away from the base and "genetically modifying" it.

Monsanto are evil becuase of the crazy stuff they do to American dairy cows and their consumers to make more milk which, if memory serves, was in surplus at the time. New Zealand had a deficit and were buying in US surplus milk too.

Re: Article.

First gen crops, derivative but do the job.

Fourth gen crops, look a bit prettier, have a 40% larger footprint so less harvestable mass per-hectare.

Sixth gen crops have large, pretty flowers but the stems are so heavy they need to be held up with a weed bed beneath. Several flowers per hectare, insignificant crop yield.

Who'd buy Crops 7?

At least crops only last a year.. looking at IE6 here.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like