back to article Massive ID fraud and cheque scam busted in NYC

A corporate identity theft ring that exploited the identities of local corporations, religious institutions, hospitals and even schools to run a cheque fraud scam has been busted in New York. Investigators reckon the gang of 18 suspects made millions by impersonating workers from an estimated 350 New York-based organisations. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is why the NIR is a bad plan!

"Data purchased from corrupt bank insiders was used to lay the groundwork for the scam,"

Hands up who will personally guarantee that everyone with access to Whacky Jacqui's National Identity Register won't be a corrupt insider and sell on everything about you in the uberdatabase?

Anyone?

2. James O'Brien
    Paris Hilton

Pay Day?

So the banks/victims/companies never noticed their account balances were dropping abnormally fast, or that they would have two paychecks (more then likely for 2 different amounts) in the same pay cycle? Seriously WTF?

How do the beancounters miss something like that? Not only how do they miss it but for 2+ fucking years? What the hell is the point of security when even the banks have no clue whats going on for that long?

Though (and maybe I missed this in the article, bit sleepy today you see) but I dont recall it being mentioned about how long this had been investigated.

Either way though the punishment will probably 1-5 years in jail and a $250,000 fine like seems to be the norm in these cases which should allow them to keep a tidy profit from this with minimal time in the cell with Bubba*.

*Yes yes I know Ms. Moderatrix. The use of the word bubba there will probably preclude this comment being posted but it had to be said.

/PH because im sure with her losing 1 billion of her fortunes she would have see something like this before it happened. Needs to count every penny these days you see

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Heh..

They're getting younger and younger these days these fraud/scammers. I can see the future looking very bleak for the regular hard working citizen in times to come. Soon everything will be easy money with ads, scams, frauds, etc.

4. Rick
    Gates Horns

huh?

"Soon everything will be easy money with ads, scams, frauds, etc."

What are you talking about...that time is now. It is called a corporation and they excel at it.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Recently had money stolen from my Bank Account

When I complained to the Bank they told me I should be more careful with my cards and not let them be cloned.

When I asked them how did they know my card had been cloned, they said this is always how it happens.

When I told them I have never used my card and that my card had never been activated so how could it have been cloned (it was from the family check account all transactions from this account are written checks) they went strangely silent at this point and gave me a immediate refund.

They said they would investigate and get back to me. Still waiting.......

So the point is it is cheaper for the banks to ignore the flaws in their secure system than it is to fix them.

Smillie face because its nice to catch the bank out.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Banks simply don't care

They make some much $$$$$$$ they can afford to lose a few Mill here and there.

7. Dale

Catch them if you can

Where is Frank Abagnale Jr when you need him?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re : catch them if you can

catch us if you can, shewerly : DC5 anybody?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like