back to article Ingres and Red Hat unite to thwart Ellison's Sun love

Open source database vendor Ingres might stand a better chance at taking on the enterprise with Oracle fixing to swallow developers' favorite MySQL along with Sun Microsystems. To help, it's begun forging alliances with open-source operating-system companies. Red Hat and Ingres have been sniffing around each other for the past …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

out of necessity

Sounds like a marriage out of necessity, really.

They could have done that before Oracle bought Sun ... not clear what has changed now that makes the partnership 'better' than before that. After all MySQL will remain the same mini-Oracle replacement it always has been.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

not clear what has changed? hello....

I think it's clear that many enterprises running MySQL are concerned (and probably rightly so) about Oracle's intentions once they get their hands on MySQL - will they raise price, reduce functionality, both? Marc Felury opined recently on his blog that he saw a MySQL fork coming as a consequence of Oracle's Sun acquisition. Others suggested that Ingres, EnterpriseDB, etc. would benefit. I kind of agree with the latter sentiment, and see the announcements in this article as evidence.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Ingres is crap..

And I'm qualified to say that 'cause its running alongside our Oracle systems for over a decade now. There's stuff that we do in Oracle that is simply mission impossible in Ingres.

I've had Ingres kernel developers (flown in from the UK) working on Ingres bugs and issues. Showed them what I can do in Oracle. Met with silence and then the question "Is that a requirement?".

No dumbtard. That is a standard Oracle feature.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Work started pre-Oracle/Sun merger announcement

FWIW - this is something that has been in planning for 6 months or more. The Oracle/Sun merger/acquisition makes the venture more compelling.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Ingres is crap

that an open source alternative to a product that costs greater than 10X more lacks a feature or two shouldn't come as any surprise, and it doesn't make Ingres crap, it makes it less well-suited for certain purposes in your environment. And you're clearly willing to pay Oracle's fees to get those features. That's economics, not religion.

6. BritishBlue
    Go

Ingres Is Way Cooler tha ElCaro (EXPENSIVE)

You're the dumbtatrd - DUMBTARD

We've been using Ingres alongside Oracle for the past 5 years and it is Sooooooooooo much better to install, configure and maintain than Oracle.

Ingres supports the chip that it was built on so if/when thwe OS vendor updates its stack, Ingres don't insisnt that you upgrade to at least 'N-1' version to keep in support.

Ingres ask for a subscription per chip too, so a 6-core chip costs the the same as a 4, 2, or even 1 core chip.

Metalink is a bcatalogue of pain and misery. Just shows how manyu bleading edge bbugs there were BEFORE you found it in you version of Oracle.

Oracle RAC is an expensive too. Doesn't scale anything like Oracle said it would and is a PITA to administer. Ingres' Red Hat Clustering is way cool and much,much cheap/easier to use.

In the new credit crunched world, Ingres is a much better databasae than Oracle.

Or ElCaro to those who know.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like