back to article Intel plays down netbook 'cannibalisation'

An Intel exec claimed today that the dive in computer sales many have blamed on cheap-as-chips netbooks was currently at about 20 per cent, "less than speculation". Chipzilla's EMEA sales boss Christian Morales told Reuters netbook sales accounted for 16 per cent of all notebooks flogged worldwide. He added that the figure …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Not sure I understand this use of the word

Are they saying that spare pieces of Celerons are being used to build shonky netbooks that look like Citroen 2CVs?

That's what I thought cannibalisation meant.

2. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    Stop

"Plays down" ?

Only if they are understating the figures, and is there any proof that they are ?

That figures may be "less than speculation" doesn't mean Intel are down-playing, it could equally be that speculation being hyped-up from other quarters.

3. amanfromMars Silver badge

Move On now ...... there's Lots More to See Elsewhere.

"Morales said Intel was keen to flog budget netbooks in Africa, but added the cost of web access needed to be lowered first."

What good is a netbook/notebook/laptop/desktop/HPC without web access nowadays? Surely so stripped of communication, is it merely a precocious, self-indulgent toy. The Network is the Computer .... or is it and IT just AIdDriver........ which takes us very conveniently into the Irregular and Unconventional Wacky World of Virtual Operating Systems ...... and Silver* Cloud Service?

* As a Novelty, does such an Elemental Descript allow for any number of Future Beta Improvemments

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Thuuuuuuump

... the sound of Intel's profits crashing to the ground as price erosion caused by the availability of ARM-powered netbooks kills all their margin on Atom. They simply won't be able to compete with the highly-integrated chips from Qualcomm et al.

5. Charles Manning

re:Thuuuump

Chip price is only part of it. Atom + its buddy chips chew power (relative ot an ARM SOC), meaning cooling fans, bigger batteries, etc etc...

All that adds to size, cost and clunkiness.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Wonder if

they've asked themselves WHY people are buying netbooks?

I have three laptops (and a number of other PCs & Servers) each useful for different things. I recently bought a netbook because it is light, very light.

As I spend two hours a day on the train and a further hour going to and from the station I wanted the lightest thing that would do what I wanted. My netbook does all that I want and more.

And I don't break my back carrying it around.

Maybe amanfromMars got one thing right. Netbooks may be "precocious, self-indulgent toy(s)" but this one's _MY_ precocious, self-indulgent toy.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like