back to article BT static IP customers get nothing but static

BT Business broadband customers using static IP addresses have been booted offline this morning by an unidentified fault. According to BT's status page, the problems were noticed at 9.51am and are ongoing, with engineers investigating. There's no word on the extent of the outage. Static IP addresses are an essential feature …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Customer Service?

The service status page still hasn't been updated.

Nice to see the media control is working harder then customer service then.

Commenting in between phone calls from my disconnected colleges.

2. Richard Conyard
    Thumb Down

Hmmm

As one of those affected by this outage I can state that the original fault occurred much earlier (between 5am and 5:15am). This was acknowledged on the BT main status line at 9:45 (before this their last update was at 6:20), although the business broadband team had a default message acknowledging problems unspecified connectivity problems before 9am this morning.

So where did we get 9:51 from - I'd already booked in this fault way before then and it was a generally acknowledged fault.

I did love the general advise to check the status website for further faults, I wish!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No probs

To be fair, we're on static IPs with BT in Manchester. No problems at all.

4. Tom
    Thumb Down

Bah

9.51AM? Fuck off!

I got in late today at 9.25AM and they'd been ongoing for quite a while.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Funny

I'm sure I was watching a BT ad last night which had a guy worrying about not having an ADSL connection, but then waking up to see a BT screensaver on his laptop and realising it was all a horrible dream.

Oops.

6. Eddie Edwards
    Thumb Down

Speaking for myself

As a static IP BT business customer, I'm not suffering an outage today; I am suffering extremely poor bandwidth - have been all morning and still am now. Reg front page is taking a minute to load!

7. Antony
    IT Angle

Today?

What about those without business broadband last week? We had serious problems, with slow and sometimes non-existant internet. Was about 3 days before they sorted it out.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

BT

Not just the only BT screw up... on Saturday lost ADSL for most of the day. The line was there and connected but no authentication to be able to login and do anything! Spoke to some sword on the "service desk" and he said "big problem, affecting lots people" sounded pretty fed up as well poor guy.

Makes you wonder if these issues are related to BT powering up the PHORM beast and trying to work out how to route traffic thru it!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Essex

Looks like the problem locked out a large amount of staff at Essex County Council.

They outsource their IT to BT Syntegra.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Essential?

So a static IP is essential for secure working? In the dim and distant past maybe, but not for a long time. Unless of course you are running some ancient or cheap and nasty VPN solution.

11. Stephen Gray

@ Funny

Pedant alert!!

The actual thrust of that ad is not about the ADSL connection, its about the wireless range of their home hub

12. Michelle Wright
    Alert

Not the 1st time

Don't for get all the issues they had most of last week with business customers with a static IP addresses as well - slowness due to packet loss in their network!

13. Ben

@AC

That advert is infuriating if only for the very careful language they use, it actually states that the BT provided Wifi is more reliable than the competitors not the ADSL.

fat lot of use having reliable wifi is when your trying to book the last minute flight (or whatever the hell it was) and you actual net connection is down.

I die a little each time

Bah.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lucky them

I've had 512kb downstream for over a week now. Multiple calls to India have resulted in my girlfriend plugging one of the laptops directly into the BT router and the BT router into the line's test port 3 or 4 times. Needless to say, this has made a huge difference to the problem.

I didn't realise BT's call centres were outsourced; now I know I'm looking to close my contract. Got rid of my Barclaycard last week for the same reason. Fortunately, many sensible, customer-oriented companies are fixing their support after the outsourcing joke.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Virgin!

Should have used Virgin Media!

/me runs!

16. Richard

@AC 10.47

Do colleges use BT Business for their ISP? I'd have thought that they'd be hooked up via local government and whatever fibre provider they use.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Richard

No that's me being stupid and not spelling colleagues correctly.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did they do this to other ISPs static addresses last week

Last Friday at about 05:30 they took out my static IP ADSL line too and I'm not even with BT. When I spoke to the help desk the guy there asked whether the router showed a 172 IP address after a reset, yepp... Oh it's BT they've done it to me too I'll get them to reset it again.

Sounded like he'd seen plenty that day.

19. Neil Cameron-Rollo
    Unhappy

IP still Poo

This was going on most of last week and seems to be happeening still (one of my colleagues is speaking to BT as I write this)

20. John70

Not another...

...Phorm test was it on Business users this time?

21. Fraser
    Unhappy

'Its good to talk' yeah right

Thank you very much BT, if its so good to talk why don't you talk to all of the users ringing me today at 8:00 AM (9:51 if you believe BT, but nearer 5am this morning) when I was trying to relax into my Tuesday after the bank holiday.

22. Dave Harris
    Alert

Lucky basterds

At least you have a provider who assigns static IPs and lists them as static. I've got clients here in KL who, despite beingon the same netblock with the same ISP for several years, still have their ISP (MAXIS, I'm looking at you) listing their IP ranges as dynamic (or assigned portable), which is really not helpful for sending mail to my clients' clients who block dynamic IPs from sending via SMTP.

23. N

BTs wireless access points

Well known for complete lack of security & easy to break

At least BTs got something going for its Home Flub

24. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Status quo for BT

Friends living in Essex were without a broadband connexion for most of Saturday 23rd May. Repeated phone calls to BT for news of the outage failed to give an explanation, whether server failure, virus of some other excuse. I have seen nothing in El Reg about this outage, which apparently was due to a 'fault' in Surrey and must have affected a considerable number of BT retail customers. We suspect BT are keeping quiet out of embarrassment and a desire to avoid having to compensate customers.

25. Oli

And it all died again this mornin!

Same problem, even more denial!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like