back to article Movie-quality games in 15 years, claims gaming veteran

Movie-quality videogame graphics will be possible within 10 to 15 years, an industry heavyweight has forecast. Tim Sweeny, founder of videogame firm Epic Games, said issues including realistic in-game lighting and movie quality static scenes or motion are just a matter of brute computing power. “We’re only about a factor of a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Interesting...

How they quoted to very last-gen titles there... Uncharted Drakes Fortune surely has to have the most lifelike facial animations going on, and is as close to movie-like that any console game has yet to get it. (I would expect Uncharted 2 to raise that bar even further when it's released in a few months).

2. M
    Happy

Hmm

For me, this has already been realised in the game 'Treasure Island Dizzy'.

Mind you, I am an egg.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Boney freaks....

"Why? Bones, mainly. Humans recognise facial animation in other humans using thousands of bones, but Sweeny said videogames only use tens of bones."

Who are these freaks.. average adult human body only has 206 bones !!!!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

10-15 years? pfft

He is having a laugh surely?.

I would estimate based on current games and technologies that if we don't see lifelike games in 5 years we're doing something wrong.

5. Kev - LG

Seconded

I agree with the Anonymous Coward above - Uncharted has great animations, and as such creates truly believable (if a little cheesy) characters. I too think we're a lot closer than that, but maybe the 10-15 years figure is going to account for getting back out of the uncanny valley, something that photo realistic graphics have struggled with on this current generation of consoles.

This topic is closed for new posts.