back to article Weary locals scratch Butt Hole Road

Residents of Butt Hole Road in Conisbrough, South Yorks, are hoping that 300 quid will put an end to the pilgrimage which has seen sniggering crowds flock to the internationally-famous road sign, including Yanks in search of a Beavis and Butt-Head moment: According to the Sun, the four families living on the road stumped …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Who'd have thought.....

a taxi driver..... picked his butt.....

Classic.

2. GrahamT
    Happy

Archer Way

I thought it had been named after a certain author and ex-jailbird: from Butt Hole to arsehole.

Btw, I drove past Whipass lane on Sunday. No doubt that will succomb to the language police soon, despite it obviously referring to donkeys.

3. David Edwards
    Stop

Why Archer?

Surely thats inviting "Archer takes aim at Butt Hole" type headlines.

And is "An Archer of butt hole road" listed in Rogers profanasaurus along side "Sailor of the windward passage"

4. Major N

They changed the name?

Cheeky!

Arses!

I heard about this place several years ago courtesy of BBC Radio 4's Now Show (Genius, btw). Always suspected it was to do with a barrel, but at least we've got to the bottom of that naming mystery now.

I am a little unsure as to why Archer Way still. Was the castle Archer Castle, or is it about the distance an arrow could be fired from it or what?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shame!

Maybe I'm childish, but it always raises a smile whenever I pass. Silly street names do seem to be a feature of South Yorkshire, after all there's a police station on Letsby Avenue in Sheffield.

6. Mike Taylor
    Stop

History

The Butts were places where archery was practised.

Perhaps your research needed to go beyond The Sun and Wikipedia.

http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/help/help.asp?code=BTThes/a/68831.htm

7. Lionel Baden

why ??

not just open a corner shop selling trinkets !

8. Gerard Krupa

It was a sad day...

...when I learned that Treacle Cock Alley in Bingley had been removed to make way for a bypass.

9. Frank

Kick ass video

It's good to see that mindless obscene language isn't limited to just the UK :) The F-word, england's major contribution to international communication.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

I butt, you butt, he or she butts ...

There's a road called Butt Hedge in Long Marston, just outside York (and a few miles from where I live) - I'm fully aware of the toxophilogical connection but it still never fails to raise a snigger.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

but now...

they just get people puking over the sign after drinking a bottle of a peach flavoured schnapps drink?

12. Code Monkey

Bell End

I'd be sad if the magnificent Bell End in Rowley Regis were ever to be similarly censored. That said I wouldn't want to live there!

13. Tony

Missed Opportunity

Surely they could have made a fortune...

People keep stealing the sign? Reinforce it, then sell 'replica' ones.

Also get some t-shirts, keyrings, postcards etc printed... 'My boyfriend took me up butt hold road' and the like...

As for delivery companies refusing to believe it is real.. Surely they all work from postcodes these days anyway?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Go

must..

make pilgrimage, must make pilgrimage...

15. Winkypop Silver badge
    Unhappy

Butt!!!

Sad : (

16. Jim

They will just move on to the next site...

Coxsackie, NY

17. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Happy

Sad but...

It's sad when you lose some of that eccentricity that makes this country still a great place to live in sometimes, but I suppose if I had to live there I would not be quite so open minded about it!

18. Mark

Well...

There's a Butts Wynd in St Andrews.

19. Vince Lewis

Those wanting to see a Butthole

Can still come to Shepshed in leisectershire.

We stil have a Butthole Lane.

20. Haku
    Coat

Name changes

There's a local firm that for years was called T Butt & Son, but a couple of years ago they changed to Travis Perkins, which is abbreviated to TP on their signs.

From Butt to TP...

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Anonymous Coward

Where exactly is this police station on Letsby Avenue? It appears suspiciously absent in Streetview...

22. Tim

Sad end

It's a shame to see these place names disappear, their continuing existence provides the odd smutty smirk to many. Some such enthusiasts will no doubt be pleased to hear that Slut's Hole Lane, Besthorpe, is still surviving.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Anglo-Saxon

"It's good to see that mindless obscene language isn't limited to just the UK :) The F-word, England’s major contribution to international communication."

Ahh yesss, the most versatile work in the English language where it can be a noun, a verb, a pronoun and an adverb, is English the only language where one can create a sentence like:-

The fu©king Fu©king's* fu©king fu©ker is fu©king fu©cked

* Our favourite town in Germany (or is it Austria?)

Paris, who much prefers Intercourse in Connecticut in the US of ‘Merkin-land

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another great S. Yorks road name...

... is Cumwell Lane just off J1 of the M18 towards Hellaby

25. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

time for a whip round

and we can change it back

26. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

I see but how does this explain

Wookey Hole. Has George Lucas been randomly naming our topography again?

27. M Anton
    IT Angle

Do Yorkshire folk have no sense of humour?

Cos here in Sussex we have the hamlets of Cocking and Filching (which aren't that geographically close btw)

Oh and there's a hill in Cornwall called Brown Willy.

28. zenkaon

I used to live in Brum

In stirchly, Birmingham there is a Dog Pool lane I used to live near. Kid's tippexed the L a long long time ago.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@Haku,

Not bad, butt

There used to be a pharmacy in Dublin called "Fannin Healthcare", the name was above the shop front in 3D letters and painted on the side of the building.

The place was also be routinely vandalised to remove the last "n" from the first word of the name.....

Paris, who is also interested in healthcare

30. russell

Fingeringhoe

Just be glad you dont live in Fingeringhoe. Its in Essex, quite an appropriate name given the county.

31. Mike Flugennock
    Coat

@ GrahamT Posted Tuesday 26th May 2009 10:08 GMT

Whoa! You have a Whipass Lane in your neighborhood? Lucky bastard. You should worry less about the Language Police and more about losing your chance to cash in before everybody and their cat starts tour photo concessions and selling replica signage.

Or, perhaps have a run of custom-packaged beer for sale (do you do that over there?), so I can fly all the way to England to have my picture taken actually, literally opening up A Can Of Whipass (or Whoopass, as we say over here).

32. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

You selfish bastards!

I'm hurt that my distant cousins in the UK would hiding this little nugget of joy (dingle berry?) from the world for this long.

I'm sure Paris is very disappointed as well!

33. Mike

I live on......

Anal Cumshot Soapy Tit Wank road.

Actually some scrote wrote in on the wall above the road sign which has been painted out, so no doubt it will become adopted as it's correct name soon.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Googlemaps to the rescue..

With the all time winner, Gropecunt lane.

Paris, oh puuhlease.... If I need to explain that one...

35. Joel
    Coat

All too mild these days....

In the old days they knew how to do it....

Love Lane, off Fleet Street used to be called Gropecunt Lane. Apparently Citylink won't deliver there either.....

36. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Sorry folks but all those names are trumped by...

...Gropecunt Lane:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gropecunt_lane

37. Justabloke
    Thumb Up

Lord

not far from where I live is a road the revels in the name of "Adams Bottom" even more amusing is that this road is also home to one of the local parks... imagine the hilarity that ensues.

On slow news weeks, the local papers are always full of indignant "Adams Bottom" dwellers (see? hours of fun!) decrying the rest of the town for taking the piss

38. Andus McCoatover

Warwick?

Sure beats "The Butts" near Warwick Castle, I think.

But, what about Soho's Winnett Street. ? I pissed myself laughing when I first saw the sign, after leaving the famous Coach&Horses nearby - ("Jeff bin in?" - Londoners'll know)

Buttock-course, I'd have probably pissed myself anyway, but an excuse was nice.

('Merkans can go back to the sofa. Unless they can google for "clag-gone" on their dial-up, and pick up the first link...)

39. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

An international flavour...

Consider that the Thai "ph" letter pair sounds like a 'p', and imagine my delight to find a property listing in "Hang Dong, Phu Ping".

For sheer wonder, however, you can't beat Newfoundland, Canada -- where you can live in "Witless Bay" or, heaven help you, "Dildo".

40. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

Never mind all that

and never mind who put the T in britain.

What about scunthorpe?

41. ed

ah well...

at least we've still got Butt Hill Road in Salford...

42. Jeff
    IT Angle

We have a couple of good ones here in Perth, Australia

Upper Swan

Innaloo

43. Russell Favell
    Happy

@Anonymous Coward Posted Tuesday 26th May 2009 12:57 GMT

Hi, I've just looked and Letsby Ave is indeed in Streetview, and if you go to the end at "Letsby Ave, Norton, Sheffield S9 1, United Kingdom" there is a police van. Cool

44. Andrew Macdonald
    Go

Along the road from here

is Slut's Hole Lane (from the Dutch apparently), and right in the heart of Norwich the equally attractive Upper Goat Lane

45. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Upton upon Severn

Has a Minge Lane and Malvern has a Hornyold road

46. This post has been deleted by its author

47. Walking Turtle

MORE Urban Anatomy from Mars...

@MahatmaCoat (26th May 2009 16:53 GMT)

Gropecunt Lane, meet Harry Baals Drive. Harry, Grope. Grope, Harry.

Mr. Harry Baals, per The Evil Googles, once mayored over Fort Wayne Indiana USA. Fort Wayne is a fine place to visit, live there or no. (Once did and now do not.)

Hands across the water: Done. Coat!

Mine's the one with the still-serviceable 6SN7 and 5U4 vacuum valves in the one pocket, and the smelly tubular rubber foam thingie for pulling 'em out of their phenolic octal sockets while hot in the other. (It has been that long, but oh what that rubber foam did smell like... Brings a certain lane and a certain drive to mind, together at last.)

This topic is closed for new posts.