back to article FBI and US Marshals laid low by mystery virus

A mystery viral infection forced the FBI and US Marshals Service to pull the plug on parts of their respective computer networks on Thursday, AP reports. A spokesperson for the US Marshals Service explained that it had disconnected some of its computers from the wider Justice Department systems, as a precaution against …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Rise of the Machines

Reads like part of the plot for the third Terminator movie. Skynet is about to become active.

2. Matthew Glubb
    Stop

Really?

If operations are continuing as normal, wouldn't that indicate that the entire computer system affected is redundant?

3. Pierre
    Coat

Is that the swine flu?

Oh my god I'm sure it's the swine flu. Has to be the swine flu.

Quick, grab your guns and shoot the sick b*st*ards on sight before they contaminate you.

Wait, waddyamean "network"? Does the swine flu contaminate computers now? Oh. My. Gawd. We're all doomed.

4. Alan Esworthy
    Unhappy

Try it again, won't you?

"operations are proceeding as normal"

Bummer.

5. Adam Foxton
    Joke

Wasn't this

What happenned in Terminator 3?

Let's just hope they don't use their newly-developed AI to clear out the virus!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Monoculture hell

We know that monoculture is bad for security. How long is it going to take to do something about it in critical applications?

7. TeeCee Gold badge

@Pierre

Me too.

I'd already braced myself for a rash of Tabloid scare stories on the dangers of the "FBI flu" and how you should avoid contact with the FBI, anyone associated with the FBI or, to be on the safe side, anyone who's been to America or knows where it is.

Hmm, law enforcement / swine flu. There's a "pigs" joke in there somewhere.....

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Never say never

"Each is downplaying possible fears that the breach might lead to the compromise of sensitive data"

Prove you havent been compromised.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like