back to article Mobile content works better on a Nokia

A mobile magazine application has demonstrated that Nokia users consistently give mobile content a higher rating than those using other handsets, even when the content is the same. The application is called EyeMags, and allows anyone to create magazine-style content which is then packaged into a Java application for others to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nokia handset == multimedia computer

"Quite why Nokia users are the happiest ... perhaps ... or the interface and interaction experience is so much better on a Nokia."

Yes. Nokia's masterplan for all its higher-spec handsets is that they shall be very small multimedia computers capable of telephony, rather than cellphones capable of multimedia etc.

In my experience running Java applications is nicer on a Series60 phone than anywhere else. Thereafter the list runs exactly as per the user-satisfaction list in the article. Running Java applications on WindowsMobile based devices is pretty uncomfortable, which is unfortunate as such handsets are otherwise very capable.

Changing device settings -- likewise.

So I think that Nokia topped the survey because for anything over and above making a phone call, it's easiest to do it on a Nokia handset.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Statistics are never right

The simple fact that most content produced for mobile phones are nokia exclusive is the result of the size of the user base. Also most nokia users don't know what the can do with their phones and how they could do it. They are more likely to pay for something that can be obtained free of charges. In short nokias just work, although usually in a limited way.

This is like the windows vs linux war, where we can say that windows is more compatible with hardware, but we can only say this because most vendors only support windows. They do this because most people use windows. People use windows because most vendors only support windows. (and so on...)

The worst feature of a nokia phone is the arrangement of the settings menus. I've seen many cases where a settings can be found within a few minutes on an old ericsson phone and it turned out after a few hours that the nokia phone in question doesn't even support it because the settings are burned into the program (fixed by some programmer).

Modern smartphones doesn't count in this comparision, because there are only two products there: symbian and windows, so most system software is not hardware vendor specific. (only the gui is different)

3. Gaddo F Benedetti

Recycled press release TBH

From what I can see this survey only 'proves' that EyeMags mobile content works better on a Nokia.

It's not unusual that a mobile internet site will be written that it will look better on one device type rather than another as it all comes down to how it was written and what standards the developers were working on (or even what phones they might have on hand when testing). Given that users were polled when accessing only EyeMags sites (thus all designed using the same application), it doesn't really strike me as a particularly credible survey.

So TBH this strikes me more as a recycled press release - a non-story dressed up as one.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like