back to article Amazon cloud welcomes airplanes of data

Amazon's cloud is infinitely large. At least in theory. But bandwidth to the cloud is not. If you like, you could upload a full terabyte of data to that data center in the sky. But even over a T1 connection, it would take you a good 80 days. Amazon realizes that's a long time, so it's now giving you the option of sending your …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sabahattin Gucukoglu

And Next ...

On-demand CD/DVD burning/pressing. You know, tell the web service the name of an ISO file and an address under your control to send it to in desired quantities, and bob's not your uncle. Could be great for direct-to-customer or personalised disc sale, specially if EC2 is used to autogenerate to S3 using a master and almost no bandwidth or in-house robotic fiddling.

The fine print: the above text is mine. All mine, I say. Amazon can have the idea, which I'll just nip off to the patent office to patent now, for the cost of a recordable CDR. I'm not in it for the money, you see, just the legal disestablishmentarianism.

Cheers,

Sabahattin

2. raving angry loony

bandwidth

Old adage: "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes". I see Amazon has rediscovered this truism. Latency sucks, mind you.

3. jake Silver badge

Nothing new.

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon[1] full of mag tape." --Andrew Tanenbaum(??), Usenet, a couple decades ago ... I seem to remember even Vint Cerf weighing in on the subject in the mid-eighties.

[1] That's a shooting-brake to you brits.

4. amanfromMars Silver badge

Please return to your Seats ..... Possible Storm Cloud Turbulence and Sheer Conditions ahead.

"The fine print: the above text is mine. All mine, I say. Amazon can have the idea, which I'll just nip off to the patent office to patent now," ..... By Sabahattin Gucukoglu Posted Saturday 23rd May 2009 00:49 GMT

How very magnanimous and somehat imperially surreal, to donate an old idea, Sabahattin Gucukoglu, although I am somewhat discombobulated in the dichotomy of nipping "off to the patent office to patent now" and "I'm not in it for the money, you see, just the legal disestablishmentarianism." Surely the patent office is only about making money from third party ideas/novel thoughts/imagination which would then become items for exclusive sale, from a string of product "milkers"/suited pirates, rather than free universal donation.

The World Wide Web Shop Window and the Internetworking Information Grids, with their Searching Browsers, Phorming Operating Systems/Tempting Global Operating Device Users, which could equally well be written, "with their Phorming Browsers, Searching Operating Systems/Grooming Global Operating Device Users, and on which anyone can place their wares, does sort of render it, a patent/copyright office, a Quaintly Perverse Bi-Polar Anachronism in a Free Open Market.

But it does give judgemental lawyers and accountants something to do and may even, back in the beginning, have been so invented for that singular purpose........ for if you don't actually produce a tangible product, what are you other than a drain on assets and a block on progress, unless you supply guarantee convenient currency for product invention and industrious illustrious manufacture/future infrastructure build.

It is certain that the Grass Roots Blue Collar worker can and will Live Long and Prosper, without the Ivory Tower White Collar Administrator. The same cannot be said of the Reverse/Converse.

And whenever the True Blues have Cloudy White Administrative Rights and Mights, with Crack Code Access and Embedded Stealth Protection*, does Dodgy Capitalism have a Fundamental Problem with its Core Protocols and their Feather Nested Supporters/Blind Cuckoos/Wealthy Drivers/Wiseguys who aint Good Fellas ..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodfellas

* a NEUKlearer Hack?

5. Frank

@jake re. Nothing new

I don't know who you've been hanging around with, but the vast majority of brits call a station wagon type vehicle an 'estate car'. There may be some aristocratic/victorian throwbacks living in your area who you hang around with but you really shouldn't pay much attention to how they talk.

6. Mage Silver badge
    Linux

Avian ftp

Even a pigeon can beat the Internet for speed.

Test with microSD cards strapped to legs have been done.

You can get high packet loss and latency is lower than Royal Mail.

For higher bandwidth use more pigeons.

It take me about 5 hours to download 16Gbyte.

About 40 hours to upload 16Gbyte.

Even one pigeon can get to/from the datacentre from me faster than that. Is this an uptapped market by hosting centres?

And if times get hard you can always eat your own pigeons.

Tux, because he admires his winged cousins.

7. Mage Silver badge
    Happy

Shooting Brake?

No, it's a Stationwagon. At least the last 40 years. The quote could easily be 40 years old too.

8. Phil Endecott

Send them a box of DVDs

I need something like this but on a smaller scale. I run a web service that uses S3, and I sometimes need to upload maybe a few GB of data. Over my home cable modem that would take days, and probably hit my ISP's upload limits; putting a DVD in the post would take me maybe 10 minutes. Unfortunately, this new service seems to be aimed at people with needs maybe 1000x mine; their cost calculator assumes that the slowest connection you might have would be a T1 line, and they have a $80 minimum fee.

If there's anyone reading this with an underutilised "fat pipe", there is the potential to make a modest income from people like me who need to transfer a few GB at a time.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jim Gray

The late Jim Gray, winner of the ACM Turing Award for his work on database systems, some years ago was shipping astronomical data hither and yon by UPS.

10. jake Silver badge

Apparantly ...

Apparently the British dry sense of humo(u)r has evaporated since I lived there ...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

SN2.0

Sounds like sneaker-net has just reached sneaker-net 2.0. It's still the best example of teaching someone the difference between bandwidth and latency, but doesn't seem to be used as much anymore.

12. Steve

how many terabytes can you get in the hold of a 747?

Sounds like a worthwhile addition to the Register units table.

I tried asking WolframAlpha, but it got confused. It seems that a "hold" is a Hungarian acre...

13. TeeCee Gold badge
    Joke

Boeing 747

Ok, what O/S are Amazon's cloud services based on and where the f*** do they expect to find a driver that allows them to mount a 747 as storage?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Finally..

My 747 full of USB drives can go live in a cloud....

Terrible I know...

I won't post such terribleness again....

On this topic.

15. TeeCee Gold badge
    Paris Hilton

Re: SN2.0

I'm not sure that you can describe a 747-full as "sneakernet". It's a bit difficult to be sneaky while carrying one of those around with you.

Paris. For the obvious "Is that a 747 in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me?" gag.

16. Paul Wells
    Happy

Your 747 may be full of USB drives...

...but my hovercraft is full of eels.

17. jake Silver badge

@TeeCee

"Ok, what O/S are Amazon's cloud services based on and where the f*** do they expect to find a driver that allows them to mount a 747 as storage?"

They are based on marketing hype, of course. My guess to the answer of your second question is that it's a standard USB3.0 device ;-)

"I'm not sure that you can describe a 747-full as "sneakernet"."

The "sneaker" in sneakernet refers to shoes. "Trainers" to you Brits, but "trainernet" sounds silly. On the other hand, after THIS weekend I seriously believe that the kids coming out of school these days need TrainerNet[tm] to get up to speed in the RealWorld[tm] ...

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Jake

Sod them all.. lets wait for skynet

--A T600 Unit

19. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

747 capacity

ignoring weight limitations the capacity of a 747 freighter:

30,000 cuft

3.5"HDD = 4*1*5.25 = 0.0133101852 cuft

Number of HDD = 30,000/0.0133101852 = 2253913

with 2TB HDD's

2253913 * 2 = 4507826 TB

or in ipod terms

1 181 699 538 950 MP3's

over 1 trillion MP3's

20. Dave Walker

Pigeon Secure Data Transfer *Real*

Back in the 1990's several aerospace companies in southern California used Pigeons to transfer critical files securely across town as microfiche or even tape, strapped to them.

They may still do it today, you can get a lot of data on a micro SD.

Just watch for the resurgence of native raptors inducing "packet loss".

DX,

Philadelphia

P.S. Thank you Rachael Carson for the return of those beautiful raptors.

21. jake Silver badge

@Dave Walker

The Internet Engineering Task Force ratified "A Standard for the Transmission of IP Datagrams on Avian Carriers" See RFC 1149

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1149

Also, pigeons have been used by militaries and traders for millennia.

Totally off topic: This morning, the dawgs & I served up a dozen or so ground squirrels for the local Redtail hawk population. There has been a Peregrine circling around, interested but a trifle to timid to join in the feast. I wonder where she's nesting ... Probably the lava crags lining the canyons on the East side of Sonoma Valley ...

(Yes, I see the date on the RFC.)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like