back to article Russians offer hackintosh netbook

Want an Asus Eee PC 1000H to run Mac OS X? New Russian hackintosh supplier RussianMac is now offering just that. It's not clear whether the Atom-based netbook - or, indeed, any of the other desktop and mobile systems RussianMac is offering - comes with the Apple operating system pre-installed or you have to do it yourself, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Is it really MACOS?

Or is it Pupply Linux X-Pup, which looks remarkably similar

2. Rob Welsh
    Go

Erm...

"We have designed and implemented a special method to make the computers fully compatible with Mac OS X." - special method - LOL!.

"The company guarantees that all the components - Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, video, webcam etc - will work and that the OS will be stable." - guarantees - LOL

The only other line missing from this is "We also guarantee to take your money and never be seen again once we've shifted enough units."

Still MAC OS X running on a netbook - suck on that Microsoft - Windows Vista bahhhhhh!

3. Shingo Tamai
    Go

Boot132

Thanks to Boot132 it is possible to store a set of kernel+drivers in the EFI partition created by OSX during install in order to conform to the EFI standard.

Everything loaded from this partition takes precedence over any other driver (or kernel) present in the OSX partition because the initial install or because a system update.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Link to X-Pup pic

http://www.puppylinux.org/downloads/puplets/x-pup

5. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Uk company sells preinstalled OS X PCs too

See here, no need to go looking in Russia:

http://www.freedompc.co.uk/

I would choose the Mandriva version over OS X anytime...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Corrected

The site has since been corrected to show 28,000 rubles. This is going to be interesting as Apple should really weigh the cost of fighting what is going to be a losing battle in Russia with this lot. If I were them I'd just let it go since assuming they are legit they aren't selling to anyone outside Russia and if they aren't legit they will be shut down in short order after having scammed enough people.

BTW the screens for X-Pup make it look close to OS X but not nearly close enough to really fool anyone.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Naughty Russians

I am having a hard time understanding why anyone would want to run OSX on anything but a Mac, if you are going to go the effort of using different hardware, well use one of the free OSs.

If I was Russian, I would be building a Russian Based Operating System, celebrate Russian ingenuity and culture. Corner the Russian market, same with China they should just make their own, it is not that hard, if you have enough numbers you can go right from the bottom up, and that would break US hold very quickly around the world.

8. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

Let me guess.

"How it can make this guarantee, it's not saying."

How about like this: "We're based in Russia. We can lie in our sales pitch and there's f*** all you can do about it. If you want to claim on our guarantee, our after-sales support guys Yuri and Leonid (who learned their people skills with Aquarium) will be happy to solve all your problems. Permanently."

<Knock Knock>

<Thump, pummel, batter>

Ah, right. The above is all highly speculative and merely a piss-poor attempt at humour of course. I'm sure that this is actually all completely above board and that they're a reliable company who would be a pleasure to do business with. In fact I'll be reviewing this astonishingly fine product soon.

Right after Yuri takes his foot off my neck in fact.

9. Artyom Brynn
    Thumb Up

Google it

Google “19200 rur in gbp” and you'll get 388 quid. Price includes netbook with the abovementioned software installed.

This topic is closed for new posts.