back to article Paris loses her BlackBerry in Cannes hotel

The cream of Hollywood is living in fear of crank phonecalls and other virtual assaults after Paris Hilton lost her BlackBerry while cavorting at the Cannes film festival in the early hours of this morning. The telephonically-challenged heiress was spotted looking distraught by the Daily Mail in the immediate aftermath of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Blackberry?!?!?!

I thought it was called "cherry" ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Not the only fruit (No Orange network jokes please)

She could replace it with some other fruit based IT kit.

Have CherryPal started shipping yet? I beleive she lost her original a while ago.

If not, perhaps some form of tart.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

in other news..

ebay collapses under the strain of searches a certain fruit... (not an apple)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

New Icon needed

Can we please have a Nelson Muntz "Ha Ha" pointing icon please?

This is just one of them there articles it would be perfect for.

Paris because ... you don't have a Nelson Muntz icon.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@ AC 22/05 11:27

That was lost years ago!

Also, can't the BlackBerry be erased over the air?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Cherry....?

She hasnt had one of those since before 1st grade.......

mines the one with the PDA shaped bulge in the pocket......

7. Les Matthew

jings, crivens and help ma bob

A Paris Hilton article with an IT angle. Old Nick must be skating to work. ;)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Hotel Du Cap...?

What... is Paris not staying at the Hilton in Cannes? Admittedly, it's not that great, but surely choosing to stay somewhere else when you've got your own hotel in the same town is one helluva snub for your own place!

9. matthew maclean
    Linux

Clone

her stupid little dog thing probably ate it.... the blackberry that is .....

10. Tim Schomer
    Paris Hilton

Probably

able to lock the phone out on IMEI number (It's possible here in UK, so should be there) but this might not stip pilfering of the data, it's like a hard disk in a PC that won't boot-up again, you can always put the drive in another machine as a secondary and recover the data that way.

I foresee a LOT of urgent celebrity number changes VERY quickly. I also wonder how long before someone tries to sue...

PH - obvious innit'

11. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Lovely Halfwit

You've got to love this girl.

I think El Reg should make her an honorary editor or something or other. Think of the publicity. She's bound to say yes (don't think she knows how to say no, sort of girl I like)

May be she could moderate the Paris comments to make sure we get them right.

12. This post has been deleted by its author

13. Neil Alexander
    Thumb Down

@Doc Dish

"Also, can't the BlackBerry be erased over the air?"

Consider reading the article:

"Commenters on the Daily Mail's website were quick to point out that the BlackBerry features a lock-down feature to enable savvy customers to prevent their address books and other data being pillaged if the device is lost. And of course, contacts can also be backed up. Sadly, it appears Paris is not one of the vendor's savvy customers. ®"

14. Mark Wills
    IT Angle

Erm?

<---

That is all

15. Jimbo

come on

if there is one thing BB does the best, then it's security of the devices .... i guess she is that dumb and did not use complex password, encryption and remote auto-erase ....

16. Chris

@Tim

Unless on device encryption is enabled then surely the data is unreadable?

17. raving angry loony

@Mark Wills

What do you mean IT? It's a fucking Blackberry, the scourge of IT. Doesn't get much more relevant to IT. Some IT bod is going to get blamed for this, just watch. I'm getting my alibis certified now!

18. Ray Gratis
    Thumb Up

"Paris has surely extended her circle"

Brilliant !!

19. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

OTA wiping

isn't that only available via BBerry Enterprise Server software - not via the consumer BBerry Internet Service...?

20. Daniel B.
    Paris Hilton

@Chris

That is assuming that PH set up a password on her BlackBerry, as device encryption requires this. Highly unlikely, and even if it has a password, its doomed to be something like ... um... her favorite pet's name, which was how they 0wn3d her 2005 Sidekick in the first place!!!

Hey, at least there's Remote Wipe ... of course, PH has to ask RIM or her mobile operator for that; and it would require the BB to be up and running. I'm pretty sure whoever got it has shut down the mobile access and is now dumping the whole Address Book contents to the net.

21. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

I weep for the world...

If that woman procreates. The gene pool is polluted enough! What's really sad is that her losing her phone is actually 'news'

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@bws

"What's really sad is that her losing her phone is actually 'news'"

It's news enough that you read the article and commented on it...

23. garbo

Or another PR stunt?

No _evidence_ of loss. No steps taken to recover/disable the device? Her handlers/bodyguards asleep? Maybe. But great, free, global publicity for Ms P & her pals. And for her next trick...we await her pleasure.

24. Jonathan Cohen
    Coat

Remote wipe via BIS?

Knowing most celebs, they normally appear to be using Blackberrys with BIS, not enterprise BES (which is understandable given the way these things are provided by the networks on "VIP" tarrifs etc)... and BIS appears to have no remote wipe/contacts sync. If I was her I'd be looking at the network or company that supplied it for security advise. Anyway, have you ever tried to get BES enabled on a personal Blackberry?

What she needs is a Nokia E71. One text to the phone with a secret word and the phone will lock and encrypt the memory card.

My coats the one with two unused Blackberrys that I could find no way to secure or remote sync without paying many thousands of pounds each (minimum business terms for BES on most networks - Orange I'm refering especially to you - are 10 handsets - and each was for a different person who only needed one) for handsets and services we didn't want or need.

25. Franklin
    Thumb Down

Funny...

...I thought the worst thing that could happen was the heat death of the universe. Or, y'know, an asteroid the size of Texas smacking into the planet, or something.

How very wrong I was, apparently.

26. A
    Coat

Whats all this "tart" nonsense for?

You wouldn't say it to a girls face, why throw it around online? are we not better than that?

Maybe not..

I certainly can't afford stuff the she gets for free.. maybe I'm not better.. maybe capitalism is to blame for glorifying her.. maybe we should abandon all material possessions, then she'd be totally f****d.. ;-)

Mines the homeless coat with the disgruntled embroidery..

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like