back to article Amazon juices Kindle iPhone app

Amazon continued its drive to make every iPhone user an Amazon customer by releasing an update to its free Kindle for iPhone app on Wednesday. The new Kindle for iPhone 1.1 (iTunes link) adds a few welcome features, but it's notable more as a signal that Amazon is taking ebooks quite seriously indeed. But so is Google. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

its obvious who will lose the battle

the consumer

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Presumably...

... the app is still US only and the rest of us can just piss off and die?

3. OrsonX
    Thumb Down

Give me paper anyday

I was recently looking at some HUGE eBook readers for £250!!!! Not only did the size put me off so did the asking price, how many paperbacks does that equate to?

(lots me thinks, certainly a fair bit of reading)

I have Stanza on my iBone, I was a bit dissapointed to hear it's now effectively Kindle, but really who cares? Reading an actual paper paper back is soooo much nicer than looking at yet another screen (after looking at a screen all day in work)

4. jai

re: Give me paper anyday

i'm going to stick with Stanza then until they get the Kindle app upto the same standard

but like OrsonX - it's going to be a while before i'll give up reading books in their traditional format - there's something about reading a book and turning the paper pages that the electronic versions are missing - it's like they've taken the soul out of reading and sterilized it

5. Greg
    Go

shut the door after the horse has bolted

This is another shut the door after the horse has bolted, like who doesn't know where to get pdf versions of books from.

1. Provide a reader that does PDF

2. Charge a fee eqivelent to a lender fee not try to skim the customer for every sheckle

What will happen if you don't well everyone will just continue to download books in pdf format for free WAKE up DRM kills the market!

6. Chris

ebook readers are dead before they start

What with full screen phones like the iphone, nokia 5800 etc, HTC toutch etc etc who would want ANOTHER device to charge and update and carry around when your typical phone can have 32gig, and store sheds of books let alone download as its read. The kindle is pointless, utterly pointless. What we need are phones with better screens and nice free reader apps.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

books - paper = fail

Just to reiterate what others have said. I really can't see much benefit in carrying around 10k books at a go.

Besides, in a world clamouring for convergence, books are a pretty much perfect blend of hardware and software.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like