back to article Palm Pre to sell like hot cakes, Sprint CEO proclaims

The Palm Pre is going to sell so well the company will have trouble meeting demand. This is according to impartial observer Dan Hesse, CEO of Sprint, the network with an exclusive deal to supply Palm's last-chance handset. Palm is betting the company on the Pre, which is set to launch on the 6 June. What is less well reported …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Thumb Up

Of course it will!

Yeah, I seem to remember Messers Gates and Ballmer saying that about their little MP3 player, just after Apple's iPod had sold it billionth unit!

Best of luck against Blackberry and iPhone though!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Short Supply for the First Year and a Half Eh?

I got caught by that well after a treo initial launch. Needing to replace a popular phone proved just as difficult as buying one initially. Sprint had so few spares it was ridiculous.

3. Steve Coburn
    Thumb Down

A Bitter Palm PDA Owner says

How long will it be until Palm decide to abandon this product line and move onto something else leaving customers with expensive, unusable devices (or go bust). I'm still haven't seen the Vista compatible desktop for my Tungsten T5 PDA and I doubt I ever will.

I would never consider any Palm product in the future, no matter how 'good' because Palm lack integrity and treat their customers like dirt.

4. alun phillips
    Linux

GSM anyone

Still waiting on the announcement of the GSM version for us over here in blighty!

Also not so sure on the pricing if this translates to a £1 to $1 as is usual, rip off, practice it's just to expensive. I dont plan on starting to pay for my phones and when I could have an Android phone, or even *cough* a Jesus phone, for FREE with a two year contract why pay?

5. Nate Amsden

where?

I just visited Sprint's site again and see no pre order option for the pre. Best buy's web site just has a splash screen, nothing else.

6. WinHatter

$199 a pop for a hot cake

from the specs I can foresee that the hot cakes will go stale at best,

Wait for a while and they will be on sale at Poundland (Buckland rather).

7. Will
    Heart

Still no news...

...of a UK launch!

I want a UK launch!

8. Gene Cash Silver badge

Hell would freeze solid

Before I bought another Palm product. The only people to screw over their customers worse than Palm are the RIAA.

9. jai

@ Will Re: Still no news...

did you not read the article? Palm do not have a version of the Pre that'll work on the UK networks. It will only run on the US network. Therefore, no UK launch for the near future.

And if it is correct that they've only been able to manufacture so few, they they're going to have their hands full for the next 6 months or more just producing enough units to sell to US customers before they'll be able to start thinking about the rest of the world and setting up new production runs with GSM chips in them

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Will Re: Still no news...

And even if it eventually comes with GSM, that's a bit lame for Europe. Any decent web-centric device has to have 3G or it may as well be back in the 20th Century. Nokia E Series and N-Series will kill it here.

11. Paul Ross

Re: anonymous coward

Err, I have a Palm treo pro and it has hsdpa, wifi etc... I can't see why you think the pre wouldn't get those features to? They had Pre's with vodafone sims in at barcelona. I don't reckon it will be too long until it comes here.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like