back to article Dell designs 10in netbook for Bash Street

Dell has rolled out a 10in netbook for schools - handy, that, because we don't think too many consumers will fancy its boxy looks. Dell Latitude L2100 Dell's Latitude L2100: standard netbook spec The Latitude 2100 provides a bog-standard netbook spec based around Intel's 1.6GHz N270 Atom processor. Dell Latitude L2100 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why would you target netbooks at schools?

Pupils maybe, but why would _schools_ care how small & portable it is? That just means there's more chance of it going walkies, better to have IT suites full of chained down desktops.

If you're selling to pupils for use in schools, then the design will matter.

And Vista on an Atom? *shudders*

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Promotional bumf from Dell says no antimicrobial stuff for us dirty Europistanians

That antimicrobe thing on the keyboard is US-only, from what we've been mass-mailed about them.

I disagree on the whole "ooh, it's boxy-looking" complaint - it's a netbook FFS, its purpose is to be small, lightweight and functional. Conforming to some retard's view of what "pretty" tech looks like is missing the shagging point. (Which could also be said about Dell's choice to offer multiple chassis colourds, but I suppose that tells us more of what they think their customers look for in a computer...)

3. Jon Brunson

Am I the only one ...

... who said "owch" when they read £314?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Can't you read?

You've already covered this

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/19/dell_latitude_2100/

And I still say it's useless. There's no need for netbooks at school. Or laptops. Or computers in general outside of the IT classroom and specific equipment/projects.

Relying on a PC and the likes of Wikipedia to "do the work for them" stunts the development of children. Most can't even do basic arithmetic without the aid of a calculator.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hey, don't knock the looks, I think it's very stylish

provided that you live in 1985

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Why would you target netbooks at schools

Don't expect schools to be buying these ... I'm sure the aim is to persuade schools that these are a good idea for all pupils to have then cue a quick consultation and the usual "get the result we want" questionaire schools are so good at (*) and in no time parents will be informed of a roll out of a new exciting nettop based teaching system along with a standing order form to pay £10/month for the now required stadard nettop. Bit far fetched ... my son's school (Redland Green in Bristol) investigated a scheme like this a couple of years ago ... except it was going to be based on PocketPC PDAs!

(*) i.e. ask two part questions where first part is "I want my child to get a good education" and second part is whatever the school want you to agree to ... parents will tick the yes box because they want a good education for their child and bingo school can say massive approval for their policy

7. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Whizz for Atomms

As any fule kno ther ar 2 ms in atomms!

8. E

Nah, it is butt ugly

Too ugly to purchase. Dell certainly paid some designer to wrap that red plastic around the black hull. The designer should have done a better job even if some kind of Apple salivation design was not on the cards. Just because it is a netbook does not excuse it looking like crap.

9. Steve Evans

@Jon Brunson

Yup, I said "owch"... and that was after it had been amended to £290 (ex VAT).

Lenovo S10 is £260 *INC* VAT from laptopsdirect

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Re: Promotional bumf from Dell says no antimicrobial stuff for us dirty Europistanians

No "antimicrobial" keyboard? Heh. That's probably because the EU has consumer protection laws that prevent "snake oil" products. You can buy all sorts of placebos in the US though.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Explanation --- The Business College at UT Austin has their students use Dell Laptops. Dell likely had similar deals in mind for younger MBA types.

12. Sooty

yup, no need at all

for computers in a school, outside of specific IT lessons. hell i'm a professional developer with a software engineering degree, and i never had access to computers at home(does a spectrum count?), or outside of GCSE IT lessons where we used acorns.

when we had homework that involved looking things up, we actually had to go to a library, one was conveniently provided by the school, and look at books. i think the school library had a windows 3.1 pc with encarta on it, but that was the extent of computerised learning.

if i were a teacher i'd specifically search wikipedia for incorrect info and then set an assignment on that subject, happily failing anyone who parroted the wiki info, does that make me evil?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

@ Why would you target netbooks at schools?

Dell must be listening, lots of schools are looking into and requesting netbooks for schools battery life being a good example that interests them and you can fit loads on a trolly.

I can see what you mean about Vista + Atom but i'm running Windows 7 RC on my Samsung NC10 with 1Gb RAM and it's fantastic even faster than XP SP3 that it came with. I've been using it for two weeks and wouldn't concider going back to XP.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@ Can't you read?

I can agree with you to a point but I do think computers need to be used more than just in IT, computers are used in many areas and most students only get on or two IT lessons a week so they need more time to use them as a tool in other areas.

Too many computers in the classroom though has created a new generation of lazy teachers, the amount of time i've heard this at the start of a lesson "look this up on the internet"

15. Mark
    Thumb Up

looks

well i love the look of it, most netbooks look so girly and its so clean and angular looking. if i wanted a swishy book to decorate with glitter and kittens there are more than enough options out there already

16. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

It's not a bad looker IMO

I like the look of it. Not chic, but not hopeless either. At least they avoided the dreaded plastichrome!

From what I see here my only gripe is the price.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ugh

it look friteful and kan only mene more WORK for our brave youth chiz mone drone. pass me my ifone i will die like a man.

18. The Mole
    Thumb Up

Most primary schools don't have a spare romo available for a computer suite (or at the very least have ideas of much better uses for it) plus moving kids too and from a computer suite wastes half the lesson. Many schools already have trolleys of full size laptops which they take to the classroom and have the kids work at their desks on the laptops. Netbooks take far far less space (therefore much easier to store securely) and are safer for the kids to carry (they are less likely to drop a light weight netbook than a full size laptop). Also they fit on cramped desks much easier. The keyboard is also likely to be a much better size for childrens hands. All in all I can see many head teacher being pursuaded by the ease of storage, portability and price (compared to the price they would expect a normal laptop to cost) and I think that Dell may be onto a winner here (regardless of the ergonomic issues of children bent over a small laptop at ill suited desks).

19. William Clark

I actually like it

And I'm a mac fan. It is plain and lacks fussiness - I am not excited by uber-thin. (still will not be getting one though)

20. Yorkshirepudding
    Pirate

boxy looks?

ODFO! its a goddamn basic laptop and it looks fine for my work even

pirate as just about everyone has hit the good ship netbook Yaaar

21. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Ruggedized?

Is it toughened? I actually work in as an IT tech in a secondary school, and I know one thing for sure: a small minority of children just love to rip the keys off laptops. And the scissor mechanism and the rubber domes from underneath, totally wrecking them. Lack of an optical drive is nice, because they occasionally get vandalised too.

I'm also of the opinion that the computers only belong in actual IT (schools call it ICT) lessons. There are a few studies out there supporting the idea that computer-based learning is A Bad Thing. And that's in the rare moments when the little darlings aren't just playing brain-dead Flash games, or looking at pictures of motorbikes, mobile phones, shoes, hats or prom dresses.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like